Sakura Wars 3 English Translation Project

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Sakura Wars 3 English Translation Project

Post#11 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:17 am

Just my way of mind for helping you, if I have issue with 0.7.X b1, I try with 0.6.11_se with dma ON true sync else sync 16 and not 0.6.11.

Doesn't need to scream.

bshi02
dark night

Post#12 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:10 am

fafadou wrote:Just my way of mind for helping you, if I have issue with 0.7.X b1, I try with 0.6.11_se with dma ON true sync else sync 16 and not 0.6.11.

Doesn't need to scream.

Of course,I tried most of address in retrodream LOADER 11,12,13,14( ISO LOADER 0.6.11_se) and all of address excepting LOADER 8(ISO LOADER 0.7.x beta1) I tried is not able to run Sakura wars3.
In the last year You have said in DC-SWAT forum that You can try with loader 0.6.11_se and I confirmed that IT IS NOT ABLE TO RUN SAKURA WARS 3 ALL ISO LOADER 0.6.10 and 0.6.11 including 0.6.11_se.
BUT You said same answer(Use loader 0.6.11_se true dma else dma 16) again in this forum which I discovered completely useless solution in the last year.
Why you thoughtlessly give same useless answer again like last year without checking this solution really works or not?

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#13 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:53 am

bshi02 wrote:
fafadou wrote:Just my way of mind for helping you, if I have issue with 0.7.X b1, I try with 0.6.11_se with dma ON true sync else sync 16 and not 0.6.11.

Doesn't need to scream.

Of course,I tried most of address in retrodream LOADER 11,12,13,14( ISO LOADER 0.6.11_se) and all of address excepting LOADER 8(ISO LOADER 0.7.x beta1) I tried is not able to run Sakura wars3.
In the last year You have said in DC-SWAT forum that You can try with loader 0.6.11_se and I confirmed that IT IS NOT ABLE TO RUN SAKURA WARS 3 ALL ISO LOADER 0.6.10 and 0.6.11 including 0.6.11_se.
BUT You said same answer(Use loader 0.6.11_se true dma else dma 16) again in this forum which I discovered completely useless solution in the last year.
Why you thoughtlessly give same useless answer again like last year without checking this solution really works or not?

To be honest you should chill here. The thread is about translating sakura wars 3 not which loader to use to load a pirated version. For that purpose you could have started a new topic to get help instead of askibg uselessly irrelevant things here.

The Opponent
rebel

Post#14 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 pm

I've succeeded in increasing the default text speed for non-voiced lines. In 1ST_READ.BIN, the byte at 8c2210d2 is 04, which is used as the number of frames to wait between each character written. Decreasing this value accelerates text writing speed. https://twitter.com/The_Opponent/status ... 7212772353

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#15 » Sat May 21, 2022 4:50 pm

bshi02 wrote:BUT You said same answer(Use loader 0.6.11_se true dma else dma 16) again in this forum which I discovered completely useless solution in the last year.

Because I don't remember all what I said One year ago. I wanted to help you last year and also now, please don't change my opinion my friend.

cloofoofoo wrote:To be honest you should chill here. The thread is about translating sakura wars 3 not which loader to use

Yeah be all focus now on this amazing project :D

The Opponent wrote:I've succeeded in increasing the default text speed for non-voiced lines. In 1ST_READ.BIN, the byte at 8c2210d2 is 04, which is used as the number of frames to wait between each character written. Decreasing this value accelerates text writing speed. https://twitter.com/The_Opponent/status ... 7212772353

Fabulous discovery, very good skill !

The Opponent
rebel

Post#16 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:15 pm

I decided to search for other properties of the LIPS dialog, like the individual properties of the text characters themselves. Because LIPS text is handled differently from standard message box text, I searched for the values of the default character size and discovered the moment where the LIPS text is initialized. After the memory is allocated, it starts to iterate through each character in the string, up to a hardcoded maximum of 0x12. This is the exact limit I need to locate and change, but the way it's used is completely unclear. In searching for where this value is first set, I instead found the coordinates of the LIPS dialog window itself, which is stored as floating points. Changing these values also affects the text within, and increasing the proportions of the box to extreme lengths will allow all of the translated string to fit. The next goal will be to determine what value is being assumed for the character width, which is separate from other character width definitions so far. This is under the assumption that changing only the character limit won't be enough to override the line break routine, as seen in the Double LIPS changeover sample posted above.

0004226.png

0004229.png

The Opponent
rebel

Post#17 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:06 pm

I've succeeded in increasing the character limit for LIPS dialogs. The character limit is calculated by the game using a series of floating point calculations at 8c1173f8. The width of the dialog area (calculated by the bottom-right screen dialog coordinate minus the top-left) is divided by the character width, a hardcoded value of 26.0 stored separately from the actual character width. The number 1.0 is then added to the result. With a nominal dialog width of (551 - 89 = 462), this allows for 17 characters, plus 1. Changing the value of 26.0 also changes the width of the characters in the dialog when the text is animating, so that wasn't an option. Instead, I elected to remove these calculations entirely and provide a hardcoded limit of 38 characters. The function used to calculate the LIPS dialog text limits appears to only be used for that purpose. However, even increasing this limit to a much larger value didn't allow for more than 36 characters to be written without line breaks, so I decided 36 (1 less than the current character limit of 37 for the text box) will be sufficient for all choices.

With this fix, we can now focus on compressed graphics for the battle interface. This is the primary purpose of this thread, and I am urgently seeking expertise in this area. We are also going to need assistance with assets for the minigames, but that will not be reached until much later in the project.
Attachments
0004313.png
0004311.png

The Opponent
rebel

Post#18 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:57 am

Here is the newest update, with all of the above features implemented and a revised translation.

This video was uploaded on a new channel for the translation project. We anticipate that updates will become infrequent as we make further progress on hacking.

This project also attracted much attention from the French fanbase, and we have a message for them:

Aux fans francophones de Sakura Wars:

Merci pour votre soutien depuis l'annonce de la traduction en anglais de Sakura Wars 3. Les outils que nous sommes en train de développer pour le patch sont disponibles au public. Une fois le patch anglais réalisé, nous souhaitons soutenir la création d'une traduction en français. Merci de votre patience.
Attachments
IMG_20220526_045225[1].jpg

The Opponent
rebel

Post#19 » Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm

Labels for map locations are a mixed affair. Most of the strings for labels are in 1ST_READ.BIN, and translating them is a matter of writing a translated string into a blank portion of the executable and changing all pointers to the original string to the new location. It's a straightforward, if tedious, process.

0004329[1].png

However, some strings are defined in the script files. These strings are prepended with another string in 1ST_READ.BIN that contains control codes that change the text size and spacing. The size of the label graphic is determined by the length of the string in the script, and translating it directly causes the graphic to be more than twice as long as intended due to all individual characters being considered for the calculation.

0004435.png

Rather than attempt to find and change the calculations for such small strings of text, I elected to instead use (now unused) kanji for the new strings and redefine the graphic tiles for the kanji. This requires nothing more than changing the control codes that are added to these strings to set the character spacing equal to the character size.
tile.png
tile.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 59460 times

0004447.png

VincentNL
core

Post#20 » Tue May 31, 2022 2:33 am

Had the exact same issue with RAH location names. Since wide won't be used anymore just reduced by half the count value before getting assigned as window lenght
If you like my work or just want to show some love:
https://ko-fi.com/vincentnl
https://www.patreon.com/VincentNL