Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

paddyboy
undertow

Re: Guide: Extracting And Recompiling CDI Images

Post#81 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:52 pm

I got it working yey ! kinda ..

i managed to have tokyo playing fine hacked,it's london that's giving me problems tho for some reason,i went back over all audio and redone them and made new als files and left london out seeing as it's got some boot up music in it,ill keep at the london one and see if i can get it in there too.

the sound effects are all messed up and many radio cutins don't play anymore,it's as if i have broke the game but all i did was change some music,not really sure why this happened.

UPDATE - What i found was that i can change out music AFS files,for instance the older version of msr i have has the full voice.afs but the newer cdi has a smaller dummied voice afs (i think it's dummy as it has many .iso files that have replaced the adx files and no longer produce sound in the game) I can replace with the full version and build and it's fine,however as soon as i edit any of the afs files and edit the adx within the afs and rebuild, even just one track,the games sound effects become broken,i thought at first it may be an iso size issue but now know it's not that,i also thought that maybe some of those adx are needed otherwise the sound effects break but now know that it's not this either as it doesn't matter the music file that i change.

It's either that i am recompiling the afs wrong or that the format of my wave files are wrong,or the conversion from wave back to adx is wrong or possibly something else.

Still trying to find out why and will post back when i try a few things but would appreciate if anyone knows that is happening here to save me time.

update - found that swapping msr audio with other msr audio,example - taking a few adx from london and inserting/replacing with a few in the sanfran adx and saving the afs file also breaks the game meaning that it's not the custom tracks i have that are the problem.

I am now thinking that it may be the DESCRIPTOR cue type file with track listings/size that isn't correct as soon as tracks are changed for aother compatible tracks and then repacked.

I used to use command line tools for extracting and making audio files but started using AFS Explorer,it seems to have more options for inserting and updating afs files but it's still giving me the same problems,this is where i can't go further,i don't know how to use afs explorer,do i need to hex edit in values ? is there a better tool for making a working AFS that won't give me sound effect problems once recompiled,the music DOES work but the game is broken once any afs file is modded in any way - any info help on this part would be great

ok i want to thank you both,amazing work from you both and mrneo you new name should be ~MRNEOLEGEND~ thank you both for all your time with this,a happy chap !

paddyboy
undertow

Post#82 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:43 pm

guys,if any of you know anything about the sound effect errors,would appreciate it,feel like im soo close but i can't think of any other things i could be doing wrong

cheers

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#83 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Sorry paddy. Too busy with projects at the moment.

Is there any idx files to go along with the AFS files?
Have you tried replacing the music with slightly (ever so slightly) smaller files and padding it with zeroes then repacking to keep the same size?

paddyboy
undertow

Post#84 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Sorry paddy. Too busy with projects at the moment.

Is there any idx files to go along with the AFS files?
Have you tried replacing the music with slightly (ever so slightly) smaller files and padding it with zeroes then repacking to keep the same size?

I haven't tried that,im not sure how to make padded files,are those dummy files ? i sure could try tho,i just found it strange that the audio messes up in the way it does,i can easily make file a little smaller to almost match the originals but i don't think this will make a difference,i have tried smaller music files that original with the same error,so i am guessing at the files needing to be the exact same size but i have never read anything about this,my only info on music modding was following a few videos of people make music mods for marvel vs capcom,they make their msic loop and fade for some reason,i didn't do that but it's something i know little about,i can convert music easy and know my way around audacity as i am used to using it with my own music projects but just don't know anything about dreamcast music mods or requirements.

I understand you guys are busy and thank you for your continued support,DR Teamcast done a fantastic f355 music mod,i play it and love it ! it's crazy coz scarlatto was one of the tracks i was putting into msr as well as keeping redline,i love american rock,im a massive sega rally fan and some saturn sega rally was going in as well ! but yar,guys just when you have time,if you can help it would be great,it's not that i hate msr audio,i love some of it,some i do hate actually,but i want to do this game justice,for me it's the best racer on dc,f355 comes very close second,i think msr needs some bangin music.

I actually am a big sega saturn fan,one game to mention that i hacked years ago was manx tt,i put some amazing music in that,that game is great but the music is just awful and it drags the game down,another amazing game is tokyo extreme racer 1,again some right weird music that doesn't suit it,i used to turn the music down,play errr .. abba loud on the hifi and get drunk playing it,amazing what some good music and well .. some booze can do huh !

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#85 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 pm

paddy er someone able to make WAV 22khz frequency ? I've got both Goldwave and Audacity but have not figured how to set that ..

I can do the BGM.AFS TXR2/SB2 mod n then it's 'just' to recompile her to be burnable jus that still scratches my head

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#86 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:04 am

instructions and custom tools are posted in this thread to repack a bootable image.

paddyboy
undertow

Post#87 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:50 am

mistamontiel wrote:paddy er someone able to make WAV 22khz frequency ? I've got both Goldwave and Audacity but have not figured how to set that ..

I can do the BGM.AFS TXR2/SB2 mod n then it's 'just' to recompile her to be burnable jus that still scratches my head

open audacity,drag in your audio or multiple audio files,bottom left in the audacity window (project rate (hz) change this to 22k and export or eport multiple,you can close audacity work files and drag in the old version and see it will be set back to 44k or drag in your newly exported files and see they will be 22k.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#88 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:27 pm

I LOVE YOU MAN !!! I had no idear to click Project Rate that that would be the output setting 0.o

My fixed.iso header.iso two TData BIN and TDisc CUE I will revisit sometime and comb through these last pages to get er burnable again

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#89 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:11 pm

mistamontiel wrote:My fixed.iso header.iso two TData BIN and TDisc CUE I will revisit sometime and comb through these last pages to get er burnable again

Tools:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8045&start=60#p104991

Mount the image and then just copy the files to a folder called data and run exactly the commands as shown.

Here's pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8045&start=50#p104938

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#90 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:35 am

its nice my guide is helping you guys 8-)
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net