Revolt Mod - In progress

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Revolt Mod - Help needed.

Post#51 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:32 pm

RetroFox wrote:So far I have managed to make what seem like perfect PVR files in WINPVR (mipmaps generated ect)
But im back to a familiar problem with getting this dang game to boot.

Whatever I said about generating an IP and using n bootdreams doesn't work ( I found evidence of me doing this on my drives but still no joy)

All I need is to be able to reliably make Disc images that'l boot in NullDC and then I can get back to work.
Can some one grab the CDI of replayers and create some kind of selfboot pack for it? Im completely stuck making broken disc images over and over.
(This and GTA are the only games iv ever experienced that just wont compile in bootdreams)

Probably because they are windows ce. Bootdreams is meant more for homebrew. You need lazyboot to more reliably boot wince stuff. For emulator you have to use demul for making windows ce work. Theres other emulator that do boot wince but demul is more reliable.

RetroFox
undertow

Post#52 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:01 pm

You utter legend that friggin worked! I had no idea of this wonderful (and super straight forward) bit of software =). BACK TO WORK!

I have 100% managed to make Bootdreams work for Revolt in the past along with NullDC. Its how I got all the screenshots and vids. It must have been a weird combo of two old boot packs that made it function lol, I was way more of a hack back then, I have grown lol.

Thanks again mate

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#53 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:38 pm

RetroFox wrote:You utter legend that friggin worked! I had no idea of this wonderful (and super straight forward) bit of software =). BACK TO WORK!

I have 100% managed to make Bootdreams work for Revolt in the past along with NullDC. Its how I got all the screenshots and vids. It must have been a weird combo of two old boot packs that made it function lol, I was way more of a hack back then, I have grown lol.

Thanks again mate

You're welcome. Sorry you had to suffer this long. Iam actually surprised nobody pointed you in the direction of lazyboot and demul. Especially lazyboot being as good as it is.

Have fun.

RetroFox
undertow

Post#54 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:22 am

Lazy boot is amazingly good, ill grab up the new emulator soon but Null is working for now lol.

Mipmaps working.
Transparency Working.
This transparency was made for a higher res originally and it shows, for future map makers id use this for larger items (palm leaves ect)

You can see them wall textures are still scrambled.
Examining my new correct textures vs the original map files, I noticed the one funky texture is a different file size to the rest. I check the PVR properties to see the big ones say "Twiddled_MM" and the small one says "Twiddled" so I disabled Mipmap on the save screen...
and here is the result. =D

Problem solved, this seems you must follow the PVR format of the original map files and everything runs smoothly.
Time to pick a good map to work on and complete :P
(note this map is just something I threw in quick to test, I will use much nicer if I can lol)

mstar
Doom

Post#55 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:28 am

Awesome, i'm baffled time and again by the effort and ingenuity some of you guys bring to the table...

RetroFox
undertow

Post#56 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:09 am

Honestly give it to the Re-volt and DC community, everything is thanks to these guys.
I just knew these games had PC modding communities so decided to see if the files matched... and they do :P

I have a beautiful map placed in at the mo, figuring out issues/limitations with object placement as some things are missing, but textures are no longer a worry =D

RetroFox
undertow

Post#57 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Track 1 completed, Track 2 70% complete ;)

I have figured out pretty much everything you need to know to mod the game, I will be making a very detailed write up/video of the process after I release something.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#58 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:26 pm

Hell yes! I am super happy you figured it out! As soon as you said you had issues with the game disc I figured it must've been down to being a Windows CE title. Glad to see we have yet another game practically fully modable like Half-Life and 4X4 Evo!

Thing is, this game is not listed as Windows CE.

https://segaretro.org/Windows_CE

RetroFox
undertow

Post#59 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:40 pm

Random note before the next teaser.

The Re-Volt Source code is available online, including the PC and unreleased XBOX version, I expect the xbox version will be based on the Dreamcast port (as they are both based on PC)

If any big brained person could work on this, we can have a limit free version made... custom animations, no file checks... FREEDOM! lol.

The best thing would be if the current re-volt team + the best heads in the DC world could work together on this since the current Re-volt team know more about the source than aclaim at this point.
With both teams it could also be highly optimized
Damn they might even be able to make it work online, they do it on PC after all.
(They call their version RVGL if anyone is interested)

RetroFox
undertow

Post#60 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Track 2 was not 70% as i discovered more I needed to do, It was more like 30% lol.
but the track is near complete now and even contains custom animated objects

but for now...
First Track.