Intrepid Izzy

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Intrepid Izzy

Post#391 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:12 pm

I finally had time to sit down with this game. It took me four and half hours to beat, but I didn't get all the heart pieces or mussels, and I think I missed an outfit.

Overall I really liked it! But I have a few complaints:

Backtracking is more of a slog in this game because of needing to go back to your house to change outfits. Seems a bit archaic instead of being able to change on the fly, and it's the reason I didn't seek everything out, as some areas of each map would create extremely long treks to get to specific spots nearby.

I wish there was a legit widescreen option instead of the half-baked letterbox option. The main reason why being that many later enemies (like the ninjas) and bosses will attack from offscreen and there's no real warning to it. Some might make a noise, but otherwise these feel like cheap hits.

It would've been nice to get taken back to the town after beating the game instead of continue from the last save spot. It's an immersion issue with me. 'Breath of the Wild' does this too, and it drives me nuts.

Finally, a minor nitpick about the case: I would've liked to have used the North American inserts, as I'm in the US, but the back insert doesn't have anything on the reverse side that is inside the case. The blank, whiteness doesn't look great around the disc (which does look great!), and it looks really weird when the case is closed with a white bar on the left side.

That said, I still really enjoyed the game and it was worth the wait! I played with the standard controller, but I'm interested in trying the arcade stick. Count me in for your next game whenever that is!

Roel
Developer

Post#392 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Changing costumes on the fly is problematic both because of game design considerations and hardware limitations (oh Dreamcast, why dost thou have so little ram?), but I agree it's worth trying to find better options.

For reasons I've explained several times before, letterboxed widescreen is as good as it's going to get on this old hardware - unless perhaps more accurate documentation on the PVR pops up some day.

Anyway, thanks again and I will do my best to make sure you won't have anything to complain about in the future. ;)

AyeYoYoYOOO
Anarki

Post#393 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:04 pm

Is there an option to purchase this game digitally yet, in a way that will play from SD card in a TerraOnion M.O.D.E. ?

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#394 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:49 am

Roel wrote:Thanks for the feedback!

Changing costumes on the fly is problematic both because of game design considerations and hardware limitations (oh Dreamcast, why dost thou have so little ram?), but I agree it's worth trying to find better options.

For reasons I've explained several times before, letterboxed widescreen is as good as it's going to get on this old hardware - unless perhaps more accurate documentation on the PVR pops up some day.

Anyway, thanks again and I will do my best to make sure you won't have anything to complain about in the future. ;)

I figured the costume switching was something like that, but it's a tough compromise in the current age of games.

Really, even anamorphic widescreen?

At the end of the day it's still a great game, and I enjoyed playing it!

Roel
Developer

Post#395 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:04 pm

DCGX wrote:Really, even anamorphic widescreen?

Especially anamorphic widescreen (is problematic except in 3D games).
Last edited by Roel on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#396 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:08 pm

The anamorphic is pure delight.

Roel
Developer

Post#397 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:09 pm

AyeYoYoYOOO wrote:Is there an option to purchase this game digitally yet, in a way that will play from SD card in a TerraOnion M.O.D.E. ?

Not yet. Would have been, if it were up to me, but other stuff was keeping me busy. Stuff like filing taxes. No fun, but alas I had no choice in the matter. The digital release is on the top of my list though.

Is there something different about TerraOnion M.O.D.E. compared to GDEMU?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#398 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:14 pm

DCGX wrote:
I figured the costume switching was something like that, but it's a tough compromise in the current age of games.

I don’t play modern systems, so I don’t notice all that stuff :lol:
Attachments
9306BAEA-C6FB-463C-B979-1C3B661F6FCF.jpeg
9306BAEA-C6FB-463C-B979-1C3B661F6FCF.jpeg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

fraggle200
chill

Post#399 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:08 pm

Roel wrote:
AyeYoYoYOOO wrote:Is there an option to purchase this game digitally yet, in a way that will play from SD card in a TerraOnion M.O.D.E. ?

Not yet. Would have been, if it were up to me, but other stuff was keeping me busy. Stuff like filing taxes. No fun, but alas I had no choice in the matter. The digital release is on the top of my list though.

Is there something different about TerraOnion M.O.D.E. compared to GDEMU?

should have better compatibility as it will play GDI, CDI, MDS and Bin/Cue(as per the new-ish Redump standards). My understanding of the GDEMU's compatibility can be tied somewhat to it's menu. I'm sure OpenMenu hasn't as high compatibility as GDMENU does at the moment but its been a bit since I've read much about it so maybe it's changed. By compatibility I'm talking about filetypes and not games.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#400 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Roel wrote:
DCGX wrote:Really, even anamorphic widescreen?

Especially anamorphic widescreen (is problematic except in 3D games).

Maybe a compromise next time (assuming you do another 2D sidescroller of some form) would be not to have enemies attack from off screen. Again, it's mainly the ninjas that were the problem between their lunges and projectiles. That's where the 4:3 hurt.

Return to “New Games”