Intrepid Izzy

Moderators: VasiliyRS, deluxux

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Intrepid Izzy

Post#341 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:30 am

For the cost Roel will never get the years of work that went into it that's a fact

marchegiano
noob

Post#342 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:19 pm

I have a question I've wanted to ask since I heard this game, but, it's kind of a jerk question so I'm going to preamble by saying I love beats of rage and really do appreciate senile team. No one wants to disrespect a person or team of people they respect...so it's hard to ask, but:

With respect, why make such a lovely looking game just to have its protagonist be so generic she looks just as much at home on a random cellphone app game as her own?

Don't get me wrong, it's not because she's just a purple haired chick. Mario is just some fat Italian plumber man, but, he's got personality right in his art and Izzy really, really, really, doesn't seem to even make any attempt. She looks like she's meant to blend in with cheap generic games and I think that is sad.

Roel
Developer

Post#343 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:31 am

Well, that's obviously a matter of opinion, which thankfully not everyone shares.

Roareye
Metallic

Post#344 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:02 am

marchegiano wrote:Don't get me wrong, it's not because she's just a purple haired chick. Mario is just some fat Italian plumber man, but, he's got personality right in his art and Izzy really, really, really, doesn't seem to even make any attempt. She looks like she's meant to blend in with cheap generic games and I think that is sad.

What's wrong with purple haired women?

Perhaps rather than a generic "I don't like the design", you could suggest things you'd like to see to improve the character design in a way you like. Not that it will be implemented in Izzy, but if the game designers like your ideas they could incorporate them into future titles. What would make Izzy "less generic" for you? What sprite elements (2D sprites elements, not the entire back catalogue of Mario) do you feel give Mario a personality that you feel Izzy is lacking?

There are ways to broach the question, and such comments are better received if they're constructive. "I think Izzy might have had more personality if she had..." rather than "Izzy's design is generic". People will have different opinions and different tastes, so not everyone will agree with your views, nor agree with your preferred changes, but offering them constructively rather than comparing years of work to a mobile game will likely garner a better response.

lozz
dark night

Post#345 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 am

It's definitely a matter of opinion. It's fair enough if you're not overawed by the character, if she doesn’t appeal to you for whatever reason. I can understand why that might be, and I have heard others mention that the overall art style is not to their taste - perhaps they would prefer something a little more dark or gritty.

However, even if that is so, I would urge you to try playing the game, as chances are you will find it to be a really enjoyable experience.

FlorreW
Prince of Persia

Post#346 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 am

I just want to add my opinion about the character design, i think it fits the theme perfect.

Well done Roel !

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#347 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 am

marchegiano wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's not because she's just a purple haired chick. Mario is just some fat Italian plumber man, but, he's got personality right in his art and Izzy really, really, really, doesn't seem to even make any attempt. She looks like she's meant to blend in with cheap generic games and I think that is sad.

It's called evolution & having a woldwide fanbase mate, and neither of those happen over night...let's not forget here, that Mario has had a career of over 35 years, brainwashing generation after generation after generation of kids who grew up & passed him on to their own kids. Trust me when I say he had neither the personality nor god status when they first started using him. It's pretty unfair to compare a brand new character like Izzy against such a dinosaur...
We are SEGA generation.

cloofoofoo
Cracked LCD

Post#348 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:14 am

marchegiano wrote:I have a question I've wanted to ask since I heard this game, but, it's kind of a jerk question so I'm going to preamble by saying I love beats of rage and really do appreciate senile team. No one wants to disrespect a person or team of people they respect...so it's hard to ask, but:

With respect, why make such a lovely looking game just to have its protagonist be so generic she looks just as much at home on a random cellphone app game as her own?

Well its your opinion but you could have been more constructive about it. Though you kinda invalidate your own opinion. Mario is as generic as it gets, blue eyes plumber midget who can't speak? I certainly didn't think much of it when i first saw him on nes where he is even less than that. Luckily his game was fun and became iconic ( which is why youre probably brainwash to see personality in him)

DCGX
Nemesis

Post#349 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am

It is an unfair comparison, for sure, but from a personal standpoint, I prefer simpler character designs with subtle uniqueness over the alternative. When a character designer tries too hard, it's extremely evident. Plus, Izzy wears different costumes too, so the purple (to me it looks more fuchsia than purple) hair actually does help her stand out.

Cass
photon blast

Post#350 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Purely subjective but from what I've seen I really like the character design not just of Izzy but the NPC's, bosses and enemies.