New 3D Racing 4x4 Jam For Sega Dreamcast

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Caspian
core

Re: New 3D Racing 4x4 Jam For Sega Dreamcast

Post#31 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:31 pm

@mazonemayu
In my opinion the sales during the active life of a console are indicative. Only at this period can a gamer can choose a game of his liking, without issues such as rarity or collectability factoring in.

On the contrary, in the post-mortem world of a console things are too distorted to come to any safe conclusions. New game production supply is limited, mainly 2D, and die-hard fans will buy and play anything with a swirl, whether it be trash or quality, 2D or 3D. Factor-in the collectors that may care more for an enriched collection than a new video-gaming experience. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 might be 5 or 10 times more expensive than Soul Calibur. Would the majority of the community in 2017 prefer a brand new and Dreamcast-exclusive Marvel vs. Capcom or a new Soul Calibur? I personally would bet on the latter.

The DC was and is best known for the games that sold well, which naturally meant they were more popular. The 2D lineup was of high quality, but it was addressed to a small portion of the people. High quality and few copies lead to extravagant prices after production is seized. Your argument regarding the price difference does not stand in my opinion. For the record, I don't count Cannon Spike or Rival Schools as 2D.

My conclusion is that when we are talking about the value of a new Dreamcast game in 2017, for all the technical and economical difficulties that a 3D game poses for a development team, criticism should be much more moderate. If anything, it shows that there is interest still for the Dreamcast and it leaves room for hope for a better release in the future.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#32 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Tarnish, they are not 3D, might as well say Saturn Nights is 3D...when gameplay is 2D, a game is 2D no matter how it looks
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:10 pm

If I look critically at the past and current commercial indie Dreamcast releases I must confess that if they weren't released on Dreamcast I would not have bought the majority of them. Just like many others here I buy them for nostalgia, collecting and supporting the scene reasons, not for the quality of the game perse. However lately it has become a bit too much to keep up with all the different game releases and and the multiple releases of the same game ('region' based packaging and limited editions).

I have decided to stop with blatantly buying every release out there. Don't get me wrong I would really like to see many more Dreamcast games to be released. Quality ones especially, like Rush Rush Rally Racing (Reloaded), Sturmwind, Wind & Water Puzzle Battles, those four really kicked the commercial indie scene into the next level. But I'm not going to be *shut up and take my money* anymore ;)

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#34 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 pm

I personally like these types of 4x4 games and tend to buy it. As far as Flashback goes, I have never played it so I plan to get it also.

I do feel that Joshprod quality is there also. I hope with him getting permission to do this opens the door for bigger and better ports.

Now back to hiding.
Attachments
giphy.gif
It's a gif

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#35 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:47 am

mazonemayu wrote:Tarnish, they are not 3D, might as well say Saturn Nights is 3D...when gameplay is 2D, a game is 2D no matter how it looks

I might just be old school, but when someone says a game is 2D, I just automatically assume the game is sprite based (which in the case of Cannon Spike and Project Justice is just not the case). Just because they use a fixed camera to allow for 2D gameplay, they still use 3D models and whatnot. They definitely have 2D gameplay, I'm not arguing that.

It might play the same regardless how it looks, but I personally wouldn't pay the same for a game that uses 8 bit style graphics as I would for a game that uses awesome looking models, effects etc.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#36 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:40 am

Snes Donkey Kong Country isn't sprite based either, it's all pre rendered 3D but it is also a 2D platformer...I've always separated gameplay from looks when it comes to games :p

As for the paying part, I totally agree and this is exactly what I mean: I don't mind paying for an exclusive or for a new game that will come out on a bunch of platforms. I've always been the first one to support any new DC game and have always gotten one of the more expensive releases of such games, with the sole intention of supporting the dev team, but I just can't justify paying those high fees for an older port...as I said: where will it end...soon we'll be paying 40 for a "port" of older arcade titles like pac-man as well...
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#37 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 am

mazonemayu wrote:...but I just can't justify paying those high fees for an older port...

Spot on.

Independent big developments like Pier Solar (which eventually made it to the Dreamcast) and the soon to be released Kraut Busters (Neo Geo exclusive) and Paprium (Mega Drive exclusive) show that bringing unique and fully packed games to retro systems is possible. Comparing the current flow of Dreamcast releases price and content wise to lets say Paprium shows that there is something wrong in the price and quality department of our lovely system.

I really hope we will see more innovative, immersive and/or brand new developments like Intrepid Izzy, Elysian Shadows, SLaVE and Xenocider for Dreamcast.

For me 4x4 Jam is a bit of a borderline situation. It's interesting to see a PSP release being back-ported to the Dreamcast and it opens the door for other titles. However are we Dreamcast enthusiasts actually looking forward to getting more PSP ports?
If future ports offer more added content and/or do something innovative (like add online multiplayer) I would say this is a great development for all of us. But continuously paying full price for a ported PlayStation Mini title's like 4x4 doesn't sit really well, however 4x4 will be getting my support in the hope a bigger game will follow.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#38 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 am

The best thing that could come out of this game IMO would be if indie developers could get a hold of the engine used for this port by some means and make their own games with it.

Doubt that will happen tho.

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#39 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm

New video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE9Cs_Dg6iU

Clipping is horrible. :?
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#40 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:37 pm

dreamcast-news tnanks for link. I added it on first post.