40 Winks possible for Dreamcast after all.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

40 Winks possible for Dreamcast after all.

Post#1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Since the recently launched Kickstarter for the Nintendo 64 version of 40 Winks was created, there was buzz and rumour surrounding a possible Dreamcast port of the game being a hidden stretch goal, 40 Winks was originally released for the Sony PlayStation in 2000 with an N64 version to follow, this latter version never happened due to GT Interactive hitting financial turmoil which was a shame considering the Nintendo version was due to have a multiplayer mode not found on the 32 bit incarnation.

Well, it turns out today that after the runaway success Piko Interactive has been having with it’s Kickstarter – the game has been souring through it’s stretch goals, the team have now revealed that should the game reach 200,000 dollars, a ground up version will be developed for the Dreamcast meaning it’ll use the FMV from the PlayStation version in addition to the N64’s multiplayer. One would hope the graphics will be cleaned up slightly but this is all very exciting and really goes to show that in 2018, stranger things truly do happen in the world of Dreamcast. Although 200,000 dollars does seem a fair chunk of wedge, we think that it could very well be achievable.

Piko Interactive are no strangers to retro gaming, they’ve worked on Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Atari Jaguar and other systems, bringing unreleased games and re-released software back from the dead, this marks the first time they’ve potentially working with the Dreamcast but it’s not their first time crowdfunding, some may remember the Super Nintendo 4 in 1 cartridge from 2012/13 which was successful and released in a timely fashion.

What’s your views? Could you see yourself playing 40 Winks?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... 40%20winks

Link to original
https://dreamcasttoday.wordpress.com/20 ... after-all/

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: 40 Winks possible for Dreamcast after all.

Post#2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Does this sound weird to anyone else? Sounds like they were able to acquire an unreleased game and are now forming a Kickstarter to release it? There's no mention of development in the description or their nice funds allocation pie chart. With the Dreamcast port as a stretch goal, that leads me to believe they've got at least a beta from the original developers to work with. I just heard about this, so please chime in with more information if anyone has it.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Does this sound weird to anyone else? Sounds like they were able to acquire an unreleased game and are now forming a Kickstarter to release it? There's no mention of development in the description or their nice funds allocation pie chart. With the Dreamcast port as a stretch goal, that leads me to believe they've got at least a beta from the original developers to work with. I just heard about this, so please chime in with more information if anyone has it.

As far as I know that's what PIKO does all the time. They purchase the rights to unfinished or super niche games (like a Mega Drive beat em up that only had a release in Korea or something), fix them up and/or localise them and sell them.

I think they stated they have the source code for the Playstation 1 version, which I'm guessing is what they would try porting to the Dreamcast.

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#4 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 am

I hope not see any port like Soul Reaver.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#5 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:32 am

This is an ambitious goal and I truly hope they will be able to deliver. That being said, JoshProds 4x4 release has shown it's definitely possible to port a 3D game over to Dreamcast with just a small team (I believe 4x4 was ported by only 1 person?)

I might jump aboard and back this project also, would be nice to have a new platformer :)

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#6 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 am

This looks pretty fun. I'm going to back it for the n64 cart as my wife loves n64. I would back for a dc version if it gets that far.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 am

I'd love to see this game make it over to the DC, but an extra 100k.... Pretty much all DC Kickstarters can't even get that much in general . I still backed em with a small donation, as the N64 could use some love. But that jump for a stretch goal is just insane. I'd be shocked to see it get anywhere near that

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:26 pm

DarkSynbios wrote:I hope not see any port like Soul Reaver.

I thought she's delicious? What else did it do wrong besides the fucking 50 block requirement for save

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

mistamontiel wrote:
DarkSynbios wrote:I hope not see any port like Soul Reaver.

I thought she's delicious? What else did it do wrong besides the fucking 50 block requirement for save

Not sure what they're getting at. It ran at a higher framerate, higher resolution and the main character models were updated. I guess if you want to nitpick, they didn't update any of the terrain/building meshes. It was better than the majority of PSX ports.

Tarnish wrote:I think they stated they have the source code for the Playstation 1 version, which I'm guessing is what they would try porting to the Dreamcast.

That sounds pretty ambitious to me. This smells of a quick cash grab with little effort. Maybe a DC port was already in the works?
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:That sounds pretty ambitious to me. This smells of a quick cash grab with little effort. Maybe a DC port was already in the works?

I kind of agree with you. Their initial goal of 20k was cheap enough. But to 200k for a dreamcast port seams way out of line when they make it seam like the development of the n64 version is done. All the money looks like it is going into production to me at least.

I feel they could do better with the dreamcast goal. At 200k if the dreamcast port flopped they would not get financially hurt perhaps?