Future Dreamcast Release? You have the choice

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Future Dreamcast Release? You have the choice

Post#11 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:58 am

krssn wrote:Simple. Translations of JP only DC games...

This would be awesome!

Just for the record, the only JoshProd releases I've purchased are 'Breakers' (which I was disappointed in) and Ganryu (which I haven't opened yet). The concept of Neo-Geo games coming to the DC is a nice one (albeit not with the best results here), but I haven't purchased nor preordered any others.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#12 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:54 pm

better than nothing is all i'll say, bring on the ports
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#13 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:15 am

But is it though? If we're getting played, essentially?

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#14 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 am

Those people on ebay/etsy selling beats of rage games for too much money for a sticker on a cdr and a cheap slim jewel case are playing people.

At least the Josh prod games I have seam of very nice quality and I enjoy them. I play 4x4 jam often.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:53 pm

The-Amazing-Mr_V is spot on!

I mean, nobody is twisting anybody else's arm here to make them buy these ports. Don't like it? Fine everybody is entitled to an opinion, but I must admit I see constant wining about it on these forums every time a new post is made about Josh Prod products. I will be honest here, I don't know the guy nor have bought any of his ports, but constant bitching about it gets old fast.

It would be more productive if we all made a concerted effort to bring to his attention games like Little Ninja, Hypertension, or In the Line of Fire, If Phenom is even interested in working on the game again at this point? All of which are VERY great titles stuck in deep development hell in some cases for close to a decade.

I think the guy is doing his best in trying to bring us varied experiences to the Dreamcast where it is possible. Like mentioned before, the reason he focuses on ports is most likely down to a few things.

Firstly the games are already finished, so the only work to do is porting and optimizing for Dreamcast. Secondly not a whole hell of a lot of developers really actively working on Dreamcast in this day and age. Sure it feels like a lot more are than in the past, and it is still growing, but not by a whole bunch as far as new exclusive games are concerned.

Sure it may be a port, built on Dreamcast it is a new game. I can't possibly be everywhere at all times playing all original versions of these games. Just because something exists on another platform as well should be null and void. It is neither here nor there. Big deal. It is a game new to the Dreamcast.

Nothing personal against anybody who holds opinions different to mine own or others here for that matter. I am just expressing myself in the same ways everybody else can here on the subject. But just trying to say that constant griping about it will change nothing. We are better than that, we can come together to get new exclusive products exposure at the very least. That to me is far more productive than constantly complaining. I will even do my part to help bring them to the publishers attention if others here will join me?

I will start by posting links to all the projects I mentioned or places where the developers can be contacted. I am just as passionate about getting new exclusive games published as you guys are.

Yuan works Little Ninja Patreon updated 2017: https://www.patreon.com/yuanworks

TDG mods Hypertension updated June 2018: https://tdgmods.blogspot.com/

In the Line of Fire by PH3NOM failed Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62 ... ne-of-fire

His profile: http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/memberlist ... e4025f9c57

I know he left the community and hasn't logged into his account on there since September 2017, but I fully believe he could eventually come back to this project with coaxing from Josh Prod and the community showing our support.

I know most of us long time members here already know about these projects, but dammit it is worth a try getting them published or partially funded. I know Hypertension was going to be published by Goat Store, but not heard about that deal with them for years.

If you guys know of other projects stuck in development hell for Dreamcast please post them here as well.

P.S. Sorry for the long rant lol. Guess I am passionate about new games coming to Dreamcast as well. :lol:

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#16 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 am

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:Those people on ebay/etsy selling beats of rage games for too much money for a sticker on a cdr and a cheap slim jewel case are playing people.

At least the Josh prod games I have seam of very nice quality and I enjoy them. I play 4x4 jam often.

Except that is more or less what he is doing, and as Anthony said, JoshProd is taking finished games, slapping them on a CD-R and overcharging. And THAT is my point. It's not that they're ports or ports of old games, it's that JoshProd is OVERCHARGING compared to original projects because JoshProd knows they can get away with it. And people are letting them.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#17 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:10 pm

DCGX wrote:
The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:Those people on ebay/etsy selling beats of rage games for too much money for a sticker on a cdr and a cheap slim jewel case are playing people.

Except that is more or less what he is doing, and as Anthony said, JoshProd is taking finished games, slapping them on a CD-R and overcharging. And THAT is my point. It's not that they're ports or ports of old games, it's that JoshProd is OVERCHARGING compared to original projects because JoshProd knows they can get away with it. And people are letting them.

Except that isn't what he is doing. He's hiring people to look through the source code and rewrite parts of it to suit the Dreamcast. Stuff isn't just gonna run by default like you claim. I think I he neo geo titles might be emulated not sure but that's it. Rewriting code for one platform to another isn't easy. I am pretty sure the programmer who ported that psp game to the DC wasn't doing it for free. Then he's got to pay for all the printing of CDs and paper not to mention cases. Realistically it's just not gonna be download only cheap. He also pays for rights to access the original source code I believe he mentioned in an interview.

I guess value wise it will never be worth it for you. And that's fine , also you can moan about it. I guess we just wonder why go thru threads and comment sections just to whine about something you will never buy or approve. That's madness.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm

DCGX wrote:

Oh I think I get it now. There must be some huge misunderstanding here on how game porting works.

When I said the games were already done, I meant that they were already created for other systems. The developers also had to port over not only the assets to the right file system extensions for Dreamcast such as PVR texture optimisations and such, but also having to rewrite huge sections of code. This was all done recently, as these games never before appeared on the Dreamcast.

I will agree with you about the Neo Geo CD games. That was kind of crazy it was emulated, but it is not unheard of for big developers to release emulated games such as Nintendo getting caught downloading their own roms from the internet. Even Sega did this with the Dreamcast Smash Pack as well.

However it is a completely different thing he is doing with the other newer games he is publishing. He contacts devs who would never port games to the DC and pays them to port it. Porting is a lot easier than making new games from scratch sure, but it is still a lot of work.

So just please keep in mind this is still a lot more work than the normal person is willing or able to put in to port over games except in rare cases where people are coding wizards.

Also I guess there should be some more flexibility in pricing for sure too. Wind and Water Puzzle Battles for instance which is a reprint is selling for around $12 at this site. Stuff like that is an incredibly great deal imho.

https://thebitstationgames.com/store/Wi ... -p69570638

So reprints should definitely be discounted.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#19 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:40 pm

It's not whining, it's drawing attention to a potential problem, and looking out for the consumer. I'm not the only one who feels this way, check other JoshProd related threads, I'm just the most vocal. If I didn't care about the DC community I would never had said anything. But I do care, and nothing gets done if people don't speak up.

If it's such an issue for the few people in this thread that vehemently oppose my opinion, they can do what a couple have suggested and keep quiet. But they care as well (totally within their right), so here we are.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#20 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Oh. Anthony, you submitted my reply as I submitted mine, so my response is mainly to cloofoofoo.