Volgarr the Viking CD release for Dreamcast from JoshProd

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Volgarr the Viking CD release for Dreamcast from JoshProd

Post#11 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm

poopidoop wrote:why are all the releases that come to dreamcast after its death either a 2d platformer or a 2d shooter? the only exceptions i can think of are games that were in development and scrapped but were resurrected :S

there's a bit of everything you know: shooters, platformers, puzzle games, racing, rpg's, point & click games, run & gun, etc...
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:51 pm

poopidoop wrote:why are all the releases that come to dreamcast after its death either a 2d platformer or a 2d shooter? the only exceptions i can think of are games that were in development and scrapped but were resurrected :S

Because it is far more complicated to create a viable and optimized for Dreamcast 3D engine that looks as good as the multi-million dollar retail releases created by hundreds of developers. It is basic maths.

2D games are vastly easier to complete by 1 or a handful of developers.

This is why I love and cherish the Half-Life total conversion mods so much, we get retail graphics on homebrew FPS games.

Sure we have a much more feature rich KOS dev environment now, but a few 3D games are in development and on the horizon. We already had a PSP ported game called 4X4 Jam, and at least 3 FPS games are planned and in development. They have just taken the better part of a decade to come out, but they are still very much in active but slow development.

The best we can hope for now is more optimized PC FPS ports, such as mrneo240's nuQuake port based on GLQuake, and hopefully an updated port of the Marathon Trilogy that I asked to get updated at Assembler. Jollyroger said he would love to work on it, but he has VERY little time, and it would take a long time for him to get it done. All it was lacking really were save support and proper controller and mouse controls. The game was exclusively controlled via keyboard, so the most bare-bones PC port that could be achieved, although the graphics looked great and the game ran smoothly.

If you want to follow development of nuQuake and Marathon, you can see the threads here.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/nuqu ... ake.70660/

https://assemblergames.com/threads/any- ... ves.70645/

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 am

We already had a PSP ported game called 4X4 Jam, and at least 3 FPS games are planned and in development. They have just taken the better part of a decade to come out, but they are still very much in active but slow development.

Hypertension has been the game I was most excited about over the last ten years, but we rarely hear anything about it sadly. Some people, myself included reached out asking if the project was still targeting the Dreamcast, but they never clearly answered that IIRC.

Sl@ve I don't have any faith in being released at this point anymore. I'm not going to cancel my pre-order, as that $20 or so is not burning a hole in my pocket. However, it sounds as if the game is just fundamentally broken, and that nothing more than a complete rewrite could fix it. I hope I am wrong of course.

What's the other FPS? As I can't think of what else was in dev currently.

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#14 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:41 am

Anthony817 wrote:The best we can hope for now is more optimized PC FPS ports, such as mrneo240's nuQuake port based on GLQuake, and hopefully an updated port of the Marathon Trilogy that I asked to get updated at Assembler.

Oh man, I had no idea Marathon could be a possible port to Dreamcast, that would insane.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 am

Nico0020 wrote:What's the other FPS? As I can't think of what else was in dev currently.

Well they planned on another game called Scourge, but Hypertension is getting priority. Other than them announcing it and saying it had something to do with witches I don't know much more details. This was years ago when it was discussed right when they announced the plans for a Blood game were dropped and they had to go back to the drawing board.

Actually, I just looked it up and it seems Scourge wasn't going to be a FPS.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-d ... -337984225

Mind you, this was posted almost 7 years ago.

ERVOSCV wrote:Oh man, I had no idea Marathon could be a possible port to Dreamcast, that would insane.

It was already ported back in like 2003, I was just requesting people at Assembler who know how to port games add mouse and controller and save support since the original port only uses keyboard control exclusively.