Simon and the Aquatic Mystery

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Simon and the Aquatic Mystery

Post#1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:05 am

Hello, I'm Sean "Nz17" Robinson. I'm developing a new game for the SEGA Dreamcast and I'd like to invite you along on the journey.

"The Resistance Fighters find enigmatic scrolls which speak of a psychic hidden in the Verboten Territory.
Valerie discovers evidence of a mysterious temple which might help them to rescue her father. However Simon is suspicious of these sudden events. Is there any connection between the psychic and the temple? Their paths will lead them from their hidden base to Great Metropolis to the Verboten Territory and beyond! What will they discover? Join Simon and the Resistance Fighters on an epic journey of action, adventure, romance, mystery, and peril!"

"Simon and the Aquatic Mystery" will be an action adventure game. My targeted release platforms are Dreamcast and PC. It will be created by modifying the engine used for "Zelda: Return Of The Hylian." Our fallback choice is to make it into a visual novel by using the "ONScripter" engine if the "Zelda: Return Of The Hylian" engine won't work for some reason.

Some new Dreamcast games or ports these days are developed with a hide-and-seek mentality: First announcing the game, then usually asking for money upfront via a crowd-funder such as through Kickstarter, then announcing that they met their funding goal, then going silent for weeks, months, or longer before speaking up a little and disappearing again, over and over... if they ever choose to say anything at all.

However, development of "Simon and the Aquatic Mystery" will be happening in the open. Development updates will be posted to Patreon. Over there I will be sharing advanced notices about news and developments, first looks at concept images and prototypes, a podcast with updates, downloads of the final game, beta releases, polls for supporters to participate in the creative process, alpha releases, design documents, pre-alpha releases, and drafts of the scripts. If there is enough commercial interest, then a professionally published commercial release might happen too.

If you'd like to follow along on the journey, then please visit my Patreon page. Many of the posts will be free for everyone to see. And for just $5 per month, you can be a patron and get advanced notifications about posts as well as things you won't see anywhere else! Please take a moment to visit our Patreon page, skim over the available tiers for patrons, and choose what suits you best even if it is just following along for free! Thank you.

https://www.patreon.com/nz17

P.S. To see examples of my past work including various game projects and a Dreamcast VMU icon reader, please visit (You guessed it!) the Patreon page. All of the downloads are free!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Simon and the Aquatic Mystery

Post#2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 am

I wish you well

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#3 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:20 am

This sounds... similar.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:10 am

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. I hope to have more information about this game project after I improve my VMU icon viewer.

The story, names, characters, and events portrayed in this production are fictional. No identification with people (living, deceased, nor fictional), places, buildings, products, nor intellectual property is intended nor should be inferred.

But on a completely different topic, if someone were to make a spiritual successor to a fan-favorite American spin-off of a Japanese series, and the Japanese company which owned said series showed absolutely no interest in allowing the continuation of said spin-off series even if offered a sizable licensing fee for such a production to get an official endorsement and the Japanese company's American branch showed a lot of support for fans and fan projects based around the stated spin-off series despite having to show corporate restraint, and if one of said fans were to remove all previously copyrighted terms and appearances from such a fan project to replace them with substitutes not copyrighted by said corporation in order to be able to commercially profit from his large amount of work, well then, I'd be in support of such a thing.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:09 am

That Zelda homebrew really did have a great engine. Nice to see something else done with it! Best of luck man! Don't get discouraged that there aren't more posts by people. When you have more to show I am sure people will get more excited for it.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#6 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:42 pm

New games are always welcome!

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:34 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Sadly I have been busy with other things lately, but in Dreamcast terms, at least I have been working on my project DV Icy. Everyone should expect a release of DV Icy soon which has new features and improvements!