A TALE OF VENGEANCE for Dreamcast (DreamBOR) Soon...

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

k-do
Doom

Re: A TALE OF VENGEANCE for Dreamcast (DreamBOR) Soon...

Post#11 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:51 pm

What is the latest updated version of dreambor made by you @Ian Micheal?
Can you share the download link?

k-do
Doom

Post#12 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 am

Is there any way to use cdda in an openbor game?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:01 am

k-do wrote:Is there any way to use cdda in an openbor game?

Bor music format is quite fast i guess i could code this into the engine it be major write to do so... Let me see what i have i post it up

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#14 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:

Bor music format is quite fast i guess i could code this into the engine it be major write to do so... Let me see what i have i post it up

I've never used the bor engine, but I believe using CDDA it would free memory right? Is the Bor music format stored in memory?
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#15 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm

NeoSnk wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

I've never used the bor engine, but I believe using CDDA it would free memory right? Is the Bor music format stored in memory?

It is streaming format the way the engine is made it maps sprites most cant be freed ever or the game would not work..

Best bet is not to have over 1000 sprites mapped much less as there constant in memory all the time and have points when the engine starts it builds the script to point to these and has to have them in memory at all times..

Free command in the engine only frees background and level scripts never sprites so once you load more your running out each level that maps more sprites etc..
It's not a bug it's how the engine works..

Problem with CDDA would be blocking as it would have to load levels sprites on the fly while streaming music and it would stop dead can be done i did this with Radquake but it's more then a pain to write all these triggers.. It would Improve the framerate when it's not loading sprites held in memory but once a new level loads the music would stop .. It all could be done but it would not save any memory just improve speed.. Course no longer work on Dreamshell..

Best why to save memory is optimize the game do it from the start for dreamcast .. We are doing all sorts of tricks to have the memoru we have the 14 is more like 28mb right now we dont render like the pc version does the same bor.pak on pc would use double the memory we are using to run the same game..

People thought when you end a level it says free and the memory does not really change this is a memory leak it's not at all.. The compile bor scripts at run time are held in memory all it does is free the scripts the sprites stay mapped if they dont weapons chars moves etc would not work and crash this engine loads most all it knows from the scripts and they need to be constant from script to directory or the game would not even work.. scripts are compiled into memory at runtime..

k-do
Doom

Post#16 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:57 pm

When do you intend to release a new version of Dreambor Ian?
I'm really interested in that, I'm really excited. ;)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#17 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm

k-do wrote:When do you intend to release a new version of Dreambor Ian?

It loads with DCMC and returns right now and should allow unlocking save points on the vmu not tested

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#18 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:18 am

Ian Micheal wrote:

It loads with DCMC and returns right now and should allow unlocking save points on the vmu not tested

I suggest 2 things for your next DreamBOR engine updates:

1- It would be nice to see in the VMU at least the DreamBOR logo when one is playing
2- The controller combination A+B+X+Y + Start for Re-Starting the game/console without pressing the Dreamcast Button
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#19 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:20 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

I suggest 2 things for your next DreamBOR engine updates:

1- It would be nice to see in the VMU at least the DreamBOR logo when one is playing
2- The controller combination A+B+X+Y + Start for Re-Starting the game/console without pressing the Dreamcast Button

New test is out DCMC loads from returns to DCMC with have the combo also be 5 version to load each with data 1 2 3 4 5 so all on one disk for gdemu up to 2gb of bor games from one loader.. Test 1 is out

Combo will be in DCMC not Dreambor it will return to DCMC it does in the new test now Which then refreshes memory to load the next Openbor game from DCMC.. everything in the future will use DCMC

DCMC allow for videos soundtracks covers for more polished dreambor

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#20 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:38 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:Excuses me, I expressed myself wrong in the last coment, I corrected. I understand DreamBOR needs a pak file which contains the game itself not a 0 Bytes pak file, now I am wright ?

When you have zero byte pak it loads the files in the /data directory this what should be happening it will speed up loading not caching the whole pak then unzipping each file then making a table then loading into memory this how i got it to load in under a 1 min on cdr if you dont unpak the pak file on a cdr it will take 10 mins to load or not load at all..

So the zero byte pak is the correct way to do it on dreamcast if you want the fastest loading..

unpak the bor.pak in data on the root of the cd image have a zero byte pak just a txt file renamed bor.pak

Supposing the games are heavy ones I will need to use the Non-menu version: So this have a "Data" folder and into it there is another "data" folder and video.rar and video.txt, so i have to rename this txt file ?
Example: I made GI JOE 12 (Updated): https://mega.nz/file/zW5WmAqZ#5gtpBB48t ... e6Le_qwcxk
Last edited by Ro Magnus Larsson on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-