dark night

Re: The Textorcist: Story of Ray Bibbia

Post#81 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:29 pm

Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#82 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:01 pm

SpaceHoliday wrote:Gamefairy’s response: https://mailchi.mp/gamefairy.io/textorcisthelp

This not good enff not to me if they new they bugs where there it makes it even worst and it's a number of them

Roel
Developer

Post#83 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:how is it too long box is not hard limit explain to me how too much txt overflows a dreamcast..

It doesn't have to overflow the whole Dreamcast, does it? Just whatever space was reserved for the text in the box. Possibly the variable(s) stored after it were crucial for the exection of the game, or perhaps an unexpected value causes an infinite loop, or an array is addressed with a negative index...

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#84 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 pm

mmh, i must say a bit disappointing reply from the programmers...
4 similar stuck points in the game, and no one notice them during playtesting, before the release?
sounds a bit strange to me, to be honest

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#85 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Roel wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:how is it too long box is not hard limit explain to me how too much txt overflows a dreamcast..

It doesn't have to overflow the whole Dreamcast, does it? Just whatever space was reserved for the text in the box. Possibly the variable(s) stored after it were crucial for the exection of the game, or perhaps an unexpected value causes an infinite loop, or an array is addressed with a negative index...

Indeed but you think you catch this with play testing I understand your reply thanks mate as i have ported many things the txt dont fit in the box and still does not crash..

The amount of times it's crashing on a game that's main point is txt i think this is not accept-able this type of thing will futher kill any people buying homebrew games..

You expect this on alpha test version but not a pressed game
Boss Master (Termini Station)
At the second dialogue box during the fight, the game freezes in some cases.
Work-around: Skip the dialogue or restart the console and try again

It freezes in every case so how is this a walk around?

Boss Matthew (Ostiense Ave)
After completing the second verse a dialogue box opens
when the last few words are displayed, the game freezes.
Work-around: Skip the dialog box at some point, before it reaches the last row (Controller "B" or Keyboard "Enter" to skip)

At HQ after Boss Matthew (Ostiense Ave), Dialog with Magda
Towards the end of the dialogue, the console restarts at some point.
Work-around: Skip the dialog completely or each statement (for a complete skip: Controller "Hold Y", Keyboard "Hold SPACE")

Boss Enoch Varg (Cassia Lane)
When the second dialog box pops up during the fight (boss transforms) the console restarts in some cases.
Work-around: Skip the dialogue or just wait for the console to restart and try again

At the second dialogue box during the fight, the game freezes in some cases.
Work-around: Skip the dialogue or restart the console and try again

this is what your going to miss
Boss Matthew (Ostiense Ave) Text Line Skipped:
"That's not enough! NOT ENOUGH! I'm gonna need to use some EXPLOSIVES to revive this party! [s]Take cover everyone![s]... or go and try to defus it if [s]YOU[s] have the nerves! "
At HQ after Boss Matthew (Ostiense Ave), Dialog with Magda
Ray:"[S]HEY!!![S]", "Who are you?! How did you get into my office?"
Magda:"Hey old man, chill! It's me! The girl you saved."
Ray:"W-who?"
Magda:"Remember? I puked everywhere! You saved me! It was less than 24 hours ago."
Ray:"Y-you look different."
Magda:"I just dyed my hair! I was 'weird' while I was floating in the air twisting my head and vomiting everywhere, not now!"
Ray:"And why are you... dusting? [s]HEY DON'T TOUCH THAT![s] I don't even need a housemaid!"
Magda:"Oh, yes you DO. When I woke up the stench of this apartment literally COMPELLED me into cleaning and..."
Ray:"Look, I just wanted to help. I also thought that I could help you with your booming business, I'm great at cleaning,"
...plus I know a lot of people, plus I'm also a great secretary, plus I've nowhere else to go please don't let me die outsidepleasepleasepl-",
Ray:"This is... this is nonsense!",
Magda:"...So? That means I can stay?",
Ray:"Anyhow, I paid a small visit to your friends at that filthy club on Ostiense Ave,"
"It didn't look like they knew anything.",
Magda:"Oh Matthew and his posse? Pretty rough people yeah, but they treated me right...
...And those thugs weren't possessed or anything...",
Ray:"But YOU were. Any idea why? Other girls could be in the same situation you were yesterday...",
"S04D01L19":"And it's kinda my job stopping that from happening, you know...",
"S04D01L20":"Actually I really have no idea... Oh, wait, maybe I still have that picture with me..."
Magda: "Oh, here it is! This is me and my friend Lilly with some other guys..."
Ray: "Uh??!", "Lemme see that photo...",
Ray: It's not just Magda in the pic... there's another girl with her..."
Magda:"Hey, are you all right? Looks like you've seen a ghost."
Ray:"N-no, I'm ok."
"It can't be a coincidence... And that name...",
Magda:"Anyway, that's me and a friend... Some of us went with some metalfan guys to work as 'on-stage entertainers' during their concerts... They were called "Seitan Beasts" or something."
"Too bad I was already hired by that fat man on Appia Street and his wife, so I got separated from her. "
Ray:"And with 'hired by' you mean 'forced to work for', I imagine.",
Magda:"Anyway, I remember those guys looked pretty... creepy. You should hurry and find my friend! You don't want her to start spitting green stuff everywhere like I did yesterday, do you?"
Ray:"I guess you're right, and... Do you mind if I keep this photo? It might end up being useful.",
Magda:"Absolutely.",
Ray:""Seitan Beasts"... uhm, I should have something about these outcasts in my Archive...",
Boss Enoch Varg (Cassia Lane)
Aargh... You little nuisance... You already know you lost everything, yet you keep fighting! And for what? You can't take back what isn't yours anymore, Ray!"
Ray: "NOW PERISH!"
Master:"You stubborn little man...Don't you understand?",
"There's no other way. Your spells are useless while I am shielded by my demonic aura!"

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#86 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Yeah, that's not good enough. We have to skip dialogue, but in order to know what dialogue, the story will be spoiled. This very, clearly wasn't play-tested well enough to have it happen multiple times.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#87 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:56 am

I was tempted to order this a few weeks back, but now its a hard pass for me. I am about done with indie ports to DC. They are low effort quick ports to entice collectors. This one obviously wasn't play tested as it seems to be occurring on each boss in the same way. They have not offered any kind of actual fix/replacement, as I assume there was hardly a budget for the DC port to begin with. This nonsense is going to kill what is left of the the DC indie game scene.

We have good developers that are trying to make retail indie Dreamcast games who should be supported.
SenileTeam, RetroSumus, Duranik.

And if you want to support the homebrew community developers, they have Patreons and are putting out good projects for the DC.

Roel
Developer

Post#88 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:09 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Indeed but you think you catch this with play testing I understand your reply thanks mate as i have ported many things the txt dont fit in the box and still does not crash..

The amount of times it's crashing on a game that's main point is txt i think this is not accept-able this type of thing will futher kill any people buying homebrew games..

You expect this on alpha test version but not a pressed game

Oh, absolutely. Clearly this game was not ready to be released.

mstar
Doom

Post#89 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:59 am

Received a reply from them - they also offered me the free Steam-key.

Regarding my crumpled inlet, they offered to send me a whole new Collectors Edition (gotta send mine back, postage paid by them).

Regarding the crashes, they said that doing new pressings isn't as much of a problem as is fixing the bugs.

They're currently looking into things and said to keep me / us updated - they also said that if i want to wait to see how things turn out regarding new discs i could wait as well...

I, for one, am satisfied with that answer and will wait & see *shrug*

SpaceHoliday
dark night

Post#90 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 am

mstar wrote:Received a reply from them - they also offered me the free Steam-key.

Regarding my crumpled inlet, they offered to send me a whole new Collectors Edition (gotta send mine back, postage paid by them).

Regarding the crashes, they said that doing new pressings isn't as much of a problem as is fixing the bugs.

They're currently looking into things and said to keep me / us updated - they also said that if i want to wait to see how things turn out regarding new discs i could wait as well...

I, for one, am satisfied with that answer and will wait & see *shrug*

The fact they are investigating the possibility of new discs is a positive. I wasn't too sold on their response to be honest. The Steam key was an alright addition, but - and I'm no bug tester - if they'd tested the game properly on any stock Dreamcast, surely they would've encountered a bug that occurs ten minutes into the game? You barely scratch the surface of the game's story before encountering that first crash.

What I did play the other day before encountering the crash I did enjoy, though. The game's best strength was its dialogue, so the fact that we have to skip that kind of sucks really. Seeing posts above it looks like quite a considerable amount of text is skipped over too.
Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk