OpenSonicDC 0.1.2 Updated for Dreamcast

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

OpenSonicDC 0.1.2 Updated for Dreamcast

Post#1 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:39 am

What I did

1. Updated allegro to compile Open Sonic. (Allegro src i took from Ian Micheal github https://github.com/ianmicheal)

2. Made optimization Open Sonic for Dreamcast. Now game run very fast!

Video: https://vimeo.com/552776216

Very fast speed
Images for Dreamshell/RetroDream and GDROM
GDEMU image

Normal speed
https://mega.nz/folder/x2BWVaDI#o3um0Nw1sLn8ro5A2IEufg
Last edited by Ivan Guber on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: OpenSonicDC 0.1.2 Updated for Dreamcast

Post#2 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:56 am

Ivan GR wrote:What I did

1. Updated allegro to compile Open Sonic. (Allegro src i took from Ian Micheal github https://github.com/ianmicheal)

2. Made optimization Open Sonic for Dreamcast. Now game run very fast!

Video: https://vimeo.com/552776216

Images for GDEMU, Dreamshell/RetroDream and GDROM

If you want support me, you can donate on my paypal: games4all@yandex.ru

Wonderful That's fantastic i was waiting for someone to get into that :) .. When you make the release provide the src to keep up this effort i have keep things like this alive the allegro src was lost for more then 10 years and not compile-able :)

Great to see people using update projects from my github :)

I see you updated it to compile on kos2.0 if you can send me that to upload on github so more people can do projects.. i mean the api. i have my own version of this as update opensonic just did not get around to releasing it.. main thing with this is allegro has a lot of uses and more games to port i took up getting this out there so people can do what you have done..

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#3 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:48 am

Ian Micheal wrote:

Wonderful That's fantastic i was waiting for someone to get into that :) .. When you make the release provide the src to keep up this effort i have keep things like this alive the allegro src was lost for more then 10 years and not compile-able :)

I see you updated it to compile on kos2.0 if you can send me that to upload on github so more people can do projects.. i mean the api. i have my own version of this as update opensonic just did not get around to releasing it.. main thing with this is allegro has a lot of uses and more games to port i took up getting this out there so people can do what you have done..

Yes i updated it, to compile sonic on KOS2.0. Compilator show this errors when i tried compile sonic with using allegro422.lib (without update). This function removed from KOS 2.0.

When i fixed it, i have another problem, game runs on DEMUL, but not run on real hardware. It's because in 2 audio function (_mixer_init and play_audio_stream) has an unhandled exception when i run it on Dreamcast. i fixed it.

Source code i upload later. I need clean it before i upload it.
Last edited by Ivan Guber on Thu May 20, 2021 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 am

Ivan GR wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Yes i updated it, to compile sonic on KOS2.0. Compilator show this errors when i tried compile sonic with using allegro422.lib (without update). This function removed from KOS 2.0.

When i fix it, i have another problem, game runs on DEMUL, but not run on real hardware. It's because in 2 audio function (_mixer_init and play_audio_stream) has an unhandled exception when i run it on Dreamcast. i fix it.

Source code i upload later. I need clean it before i upload it.

Great work my freind it's running fast :) we can add dreamhal math.. change the mixer problem we can use add2line to find the error on hardware :)
Threading and the stream driver have change on kos2.0

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#5 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:20 am

Many thanks, awesome to see all these new open projects possibilities ++

that compiling errors image lol, i feel cold on my spine remembering some old attempts i did on other things...
much more longer list :lol:

Alexislight
minority

Post#6 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:57 pm

wow great work man, the speed increase a lot. what about ram limit for mod?

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#7 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:26 pm

Is there a cdi version of this ? It looks fantastic
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV

asiergcfg
shadow

Post#8 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:21 pm

I can't get it to work on GDEMU. Buttons are not responsive at the start menu.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:21 pm

Very cool!

I always wanted this kind of project back in the day. I remember being amazed at playing the Taxman's retro engine port to DC. That's how I found out about him in the first place. Kind of amazing we don't have a lot of Sonic homebrew for the DC - and especially the Saturn.

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#10 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:40 pm

DarkVampire295 wrote:Is there a cdi version of this ? It looks fantastic

Yes, download osncdc012_CD.cdi
https://mega.nz/folder/krAk1brL#yXn1S8J ... e/tnoSkLDI

asiergcfg wrote:I can't get it to work on GDEMU. Buttons are not responsive at the start menu.

It's Strange. My GDEMU is not work, so i not tested on it. I tested it on RetroDream and buttons work fine.