Shadow Gangs

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

shadowgangs
Doom

Re: Shadow Gangs

Post#131 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:58 pm

DCGX wrote:SEGA Lord X just reviewed the Dreamcast version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zmTEn8 ... WL&index=7

I'm having fun with the game, but he makes a good point about the lack of invincibility frames upon taking a hit (in conjunction with some enemy placement) and how the main character could use a few more frames of animation.

Overall, it looks like the changes made and time spent was well worth it to the larger community! I hope this has been a success for you in all aspects shadowgangs!

Thank you DCGX, try to play in Easy, I am sure you will finish it :)

7 years of constant Shadow Gangs :), I slept and woke with this game, non stop :shock:

The invincibility frames I never wanted to put into the game because of 3 things:
1) The game was at first designed to be 1 hit/death, so the invincibility frames was not even considered as it didn't apply.
2) You get invincibility when hit for the short period you are bouncing in the air, and it is possible to press the magic button and avoid any subsequent hits.
3) Adding invincibility would work weird with the existing bounce and hit invincibility.

For the frame count, it's all down to the price per sprite. These hires sprites take a long time (much longer) than pixel art, and are harder to make than pixel, and costs much more...Where a pixel art sprite would cost 8$ per frame, these cost 5 times that amount.

I am planning to find a solution to the frame count for Shadow Gangs II, we'll see.

For Shadow Gangs II, there is some things that will be in it, from the feedback I see on SG1:

1) Main player will have a mask on this time
2) 2 Player simultaneous option
3) More use of 2.5d instead of pure 2d
4) Will need to find a way to have more frames (if possible)
5) Same musician again making some new 11 music tracks in the same template as Shadow Gangs 1 8-)
6) Hires digital art, like the first one. (Although this time, I am working with a new and very talented professional artist with a long experience in making video games art)

and more things, but what will stay for sure is the simplicity of game play, and the arcade action.
I'll keep you updated as the development progresses. For now it still at the start.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#132 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:53 am

About the 1 hit death: I’m all for that kind of gameplay, it should be an option to choose from in SG2 if at all possible. Some folks (like myself) really like this system as it makes a game even more arcade like.
Things I’d also love to see in SG2: a mode where you can play with shurikens disabled (like in the mega drive version of shadow dancer) as it is a simple implementation that makes for a whole new game in terms of gameplay.
And a run mechanic would be nice too: double tap left or richt to run, and finish with a long swing of your sword if you combine it with the attack button :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#133 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:45 am

shadowgangs wrote:
DCGX wrote:SEGA Lord X just reviewed the Dreamcast version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zmTEn8 ... WL&index=7

I'm having fun with the game, but he makes a good point about the lack of invincibility frames upon taking a hit (in conjunction with some enemy placement) and how the main character could use a few more frames of animation.

Overall, it looks like the changes made and time spent was well worth it to the larger community! I hope this has been a success for you in all aspects shadowgangs!

Thank you DCGX, try to play in Easy, I am sure you will finish it :)

7 years of constant Shadow Gangs :), I slept and woke with this game, non stop :shock:

The invincibility frames I never wanted to put into the game because of 3 things:
1) The game was at first designed to be 1 hit/death, so the invincibility frames was not even considered as it didn't apply.
2) You get invincibility when hit for the short period you are bouncing in the air, and it is possible to press the magic button and avoid any subsequent hits.
3) Adding invincibility would work weird with the existing bounce and hit invincibility.

For the frame count, it's all down to the price per sprite. These hires sprites take a long time (much longer) than pixel art, and are harder to make than pixel, and costs much more...Where a pixel art sprite would cost 8$ per frame, these cost 5 times that amount.

I am planning to find a solution to the frame count for Shadow Gangs II, we'll see.

For Shadow Gangs II, there is some things that will be in it, from the feedback I see on SG1:

1) Main player will have a mask on this time
2) 2 Player simultaneous option
3) More use of 2.5d instead of pure 2d
4) Will need to find a way to have more frames (if possible)
5) Same musician again making some new 11 music tracks in the same template as Shadow Gangs 1 8-)
6) Hires digital art, like the first one. (Although this time, I am working with a new and very talented professional artist with a long experience in making video games art)

and more things, but what will stay for sure is the simplicity of game play, and the arcade action.
I'll keep you updated as the development progresses. For now it still at the start.

One thing i will stress , i enjoy the hi res sprites. 2.5d? Like strider 2 but more straight forward?

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#134 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:31 am

mazonemayu wrote:About the 1 hit death: I’m all for that kind of gameplay, it should be an option to choose from in SG2 if at all possible. Some folks (like myself) really like this system as it makes a game even more arcade like.
Things I’d also love to see in SG2: a mode where you can play with shurikens disabled (like in the mega drive version of shadow dancer) as it is a simple implementation that makes for a whole new game in terms of gameplay.
And a run mechanic would be nice too: double tap left or richt to run, and finish with a long swing of your sword if you combine it with the attack button :mrgreen:

The run and dash mechanics, I am not sure, I feel it will make the gameplay loose and floaty and remove the precision in it 8-)
we'll see...

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#135 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:39 am

cloofoofoo wrote:One thing i will stress , i enjoy the hi res sprites. 2.5d? Like strider 2 but more straight forward?

Ah yes, always hi res sprites, that won't change :), I imho prefer them way better when done properly by a great artist.
I am no longer working with the original artist, but the new one is at least as good.

2.5 to add a little perspective and have the game look less flat (Magician Lord is a great example):

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#136 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:25 am

shadowgangs wrote:
mazonemayu wrote:About the 1 hit death: I’m all for that kind of gameplay, it should be an option to choose from in SG2 if at all possible. Some folks (like myself) really like this system as it makes a game even more arcade like.

The run and dash mechanics, I am not sure, I feel it will make the gameplay loose and floaty and remove the precision in it 8-)
we'll see...

they are only suggestions mate, you're the boss :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Return to “New Games”