WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Post#1 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:14 am

I'm working on a port of Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D for the Dreamcast. At the moment, the port is in the alpha version status and working in 320x240 resolution, without sound. The port is made on DCWinCE, and it works on SDL, which I had to port in order for the game to work on Dreamcast WinCE.

gamesreup
killer

Re: WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Post#3 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Ivan Guber wrote:I'm working on a port of Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D for the Dreamcast. At the moment, the port is in the alpha version status and working in 320x240 resolution, without sound. The port is made on DCWinCE, and it works on SDL, which I had to port in order for the game to work on Dreamcast WinCE.

Awesome, a couple people now working on a Duke 3D port :) Race to the finish?

bjankins1
blackout!

Post#4 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:31 pm

What is chocolate duke nukem 3D

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#5 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:31 pm

Ivan Guber wrote:I'm working on a port of Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D for the Dreamcast. At the moment, the port is in the alpha version status and working in 320x240 resolution, without sound. The port is made on DCWinCE, and it works on SDL, which I had to port in order for the game to work on Dreamcast WinCE.

Nice, more duke on dc. Good to see someone isnt afraid to use the officla sdk.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#6 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:32 pm

Nice, more duke on dc. Good to see someone isnt afraid to use the officla sdk.

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#7 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:54 pm

awesome Duke Nukem is one of my favorite 90s shooters would love to see this project finished :)
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:24 am

Crikey! An all new port, on WinCE no less? Wow, amazing! Hope that doesn't limit how far you can optimize the game on the hardware though. I mean Titanium got Quake 1 running amazingly well on it, so surely this shouldn't use a lot more overhead. Chocolate Duke is what I hears tossed around as a good idea to port so sounds like you are on the right track!

bjankins1 wrote:What is chocolate duke nukem 3D

Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D is the equivalent of Chocolate Doom.

A port that:

Remains as faithful as possible to the original source code.
Portable and compiling in one click on Windows, OS X and Linux.
Aimed at education, with lots of comments and documentation added in order to help programmers to understand and learn.

https://github.com/fabiensanglard/chocolate_duke3D

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#9 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:53 am

Anthony817 wrote:Crikey! An all new port, on WinCE no less? Wow, amazing! Hope that doesn't limit how far you can optimize the game on the hardware though. I mean Titanium got Quake 1 running amazingly well on it, so surely this shouldn't use a lot more overhead. Chocolate Duke is what I hears tossed around as a good idea to port so sounds like you are on the right track!

bjankins1 wrote:What is chocolate duke nukem 3D

Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D is the equivalent of Chocolate Doom.

A port that:

Remains as faithful as possible to the original source code.
Portable and compiling in one click on Windows, OS X and Linux.
Aimed at education, with lots of comments and documentation added in order to help programmers to understand and learn.

https://github.com/fabiensanglard/chocolate_duke3D

Lesa performance compared to what? Wince is directly mapped to dreamcast custom gpu features and its optimized using sh4 assembly for the tnl stuff. Not to mention a proper sound driver that makes use of aica. I wouldn't be surprised if it had more performance that kos + opengldc.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#10 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:18 am

We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that Ivan can persevere and keep going. Lots of hard grind work ahead for the lad. Personally, it's just great to see someone picking up the challenge even if this is all we get. With WINCE it had it's successes and uses back in the day. We got the TR games, I think RE2 or 3 and 4x4 Evo complete with online play. I still think the WINCE PC to DC port of Sega Rally 2 was a big letdown, especially when online play was absent outside of Japan. The Saturn game is much better imo.