WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Re: WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Post#21 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:18 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Ryo_Hazuki wrote:One question: Would it be possible to port the game "International Rally Championship 1997" from PC?

do you have the source code for this game?

Unfortunately not!
So I think I already have the answer to my question!

A pity, because it is a great rally game that, I believe, is within the reach of the power of the Dreamcast.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:37 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Ryo_Hazuki wrote:One question: Would it be possible to port the game "International Rally Championship 1997" from PC?

do you have the source code for this game?

I only found this...

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discuss ... /437d56d0/

So seems like a no boss. :(

megavolt85
Developer

Post#23 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:56 am

Anthony817 wrote: I only found this...

Code: Select all

DxWnd Files
Window hooker to run fullscreen programs in window and much more...

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:05 am

Yep, that is why I said it was a no. Unfortunately seems like nothing can be done with this game.

However, we do have this! Over 60 open source racing games!

https://awesomeopensource.com/projects/racing-game

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#25 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:22 am

Ian Micheal wrote:

Well indeed but this is SDL basic layer running on wince so not using any of that.. Wince SDL port is very basic no where near the SDL port and update of SDL i have done SDL dreamhal ..

Wince sdl does not have a working sound driver .. framebuffer only

SDL1.2 port for wince is very basic it was never complete

Yeah nice to see Wince being used.. It's very optimized gpu and tnl layer but that's not being used here.. maybe could be with the basic port..

WinCE SDL about you write, this version from the official site libsdl.org?
I ported SDL 1.2.15 win32 to Dreamcast (from WinCE version i used SDL_systimer, and some functions, other it's about 90% win32). I think sound driver must work (now i working to added sound to Duke Nukem).

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#26 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:30 am

Ivan Guber wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Well indeed but this is SDL basic layer running on wince so not using any of that.. Wince SDL port is very basic no where near the SDL port and update of SDL i have done SDL dreamhal ..

Wince sdl does not have a working sound driver .. framebuffer only

SDL1.2 port for wince is very basic it was never complete

Yeah nice to see Wince being used.. It's very optimized gpu and tnl layer but that's not being used here.. maybe could be with the basic port..

WinCE SDL about you write, this version from the official site libsdl.org?
I ported SDL 1.2.15 win32 to Dreamcast (from WinCE version i used SDL_systimer, and some functions, other it's about 90% win32). I think sound driver must work (now i working to added sound to Duke Nukem).

I could never get it to work at all.. hope you get it working.. I have fast SDL with GLDC rendering and dreamcast features why did you choose wince and then use sdl ?

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#27 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:39 am

Ian Micheal wrote:I could never get it to work at all.. hope you get it working.. I have fast SDL with GLDC rendering and dreamcast features why did you choose wince and then use sdl ?

Because on KOS animation in the game did not work correctly, I tried to fix it for a long time, but I not could. It seems to me that the problem was either in the compiler or in KOS. I abandoned the KOS version and switched to DCWinCE, on DCWinCE the game works fine, there are no problems with animation.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#28 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:21 am

Ivan Guber wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I could never get it to work at all.. hope you get it working.. I have fast SDL with GLDC rendering and dreamcast features why did you choose wince and then use sdl ?

Because on KOS animation in the game did not work correctly, I tried to fix it for a long time, but I not could. It seems to me that the problem was either in the compiler or in KOS. I abandoned the KOS version and switched to DCWinCE, on DCWinCE the game works fine, there are no problems with animation.

Yes i had the same and gave up on it was something todo with non aligned memory reads.. as far as i got..

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#29 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:52 pm

I mentioned this a couple of times.
But what I think would help, would be working from a public git repository.
Instead of hacking everything together on your local hard drive like many devs do.

I'm a Linux engineer, not a game developer or hardcore c-coder.
But this is the way I always have to do it when working lol.

For example @Ian, you could try and fork https://github.com/KallistiOS/KallistiOS
And commit your optimizations for SDL and GLDC so everyone can easily check it out and build their toolchain/SDK.
Then perhaps you could even create a pull request to have your changes merged back into the official repository.
(A good editor like PyCharm would definitely help out for code corrections and version management)

Just a thought..

megavolt85
Developer

Post#30 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:42 pm

MastaG wrote:Then perhaps you could even create a pull request to have your changes merged back into the official repository.

thank you so much for the good mood, I laughed for a very long time :lol: