WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: WIP: Duke Nukem 3D DCWinCE port

Post#11 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:20 am

cloofoofoo wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Crikey! An all new port, on WinCE no less? Wow, amazing! Hope that doesn't limit how far you can optimize the game on the hardware though. I mean Titanium got Quake 1 running amazingly well on it, so surely this shouldn't use a lot more overhead. Chocolate Duke is what I hears tossed around as a good idea to port so sounds like you are on the right track!

bjankins1 wrote:What is chocolate duke nukem 3D

Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D is the equivalent of Chocolate Doom.

A port that:

Remains as faithful as possible to the original source code.
Portable and compiling in one click on Windows, OS X and Linux.
Aimed at education, with lots of comments and documentation added in order to help programmers to understand and learn.

https://github.com/fabiensanglard/chocolate_duke3D

Lesa performance compared to what? Wince is directly mapped to dreamcast custom gpu features and its optimized using sh4 assembly for the tnl stuff. Not to mention a proper sound driver that makes use of aica. I wouldn't be surprised if it had more performance that kos + opengldc.

Well indeed but this is SDL basic layer running on wince so not using any of that.. Wince SDL port is very basic no where near the SDL port and update of SDL i have done SDL dreamhal ..

Wince sdl does not have a working sound driver .. framebuffer only

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#12 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:40 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Crikey! An all new port, on WinCE no less? Wow, amazing! Hope that doesn't limit how far you can optimize the game on the hardware though. I mean Titanium got Quake 1 running amazingly well on it, so surely this shouldn't use a lot more overhead. Chocolate Duke is what I hears tossed around as a good idea to port so sounds like you are on the right track!

Chocolate Duke Nukem 3D is the equivalent of Chocolate Doom.

A port that:

Remains as faithful as possible to the original source code.
Portable and compiling in one click on Windows, OS X and Linux.
Aimed at education, with lots of comments and documentation added in order to help programmers to understand and learn.

https://github.com/fabiensanglard/chocolate_duke3D

Lesa performance compared to what? Wince is directly mapped to dreamcast custom gpu features and its optimized using sh4 assembly for the tnl stuff. Not to mention a proper sound driver that makes use of aica. I wouldn't be surprised if it had more performance that kos + opengldc.

Well indeed but this is SDL basic layer running on wince so not using any of that.. Wince SDL port is very basic no where near the SDL port and update of SDL i have done SDL dreamhal ..

I see. I had assumed he ported sdl 1.2 fully to wince. So basically software rendering and sound. Well at the very least wince is easy to set up compared to the homebrew tools.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:45 am

cloofoofoo wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:

I see. I had assumed he ported sdl 1.2 fully to wince. So basically software rendering and sound. Well at the very least wince is easy to set up compared to the homebrew tools.

SDL1.2 port for wince is very basic it was never complete

Yeah nice to see Wince being used.. It's very optimized gpu and tnl layer but that's not being used here.. maybe could be with the basic port..

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#14 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:17 pm

Totally stoked to see this being worked on.
A fully featured Hexen and Duke3D port were what I always hoped to see back in the early 2000s of DC dev. Glad the taboo of using official SDKs seems to be wearing off on some people. I look forward to seeing more done with this :D

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#15 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:42 am

AWESOME! Can't wait to kick as and chew bubble gum.... but I'm allllll outta gum :lol:

Food for thought, when you are happy with how the game is running and want more to work on :mrgreen: if I recall correctly the PC version had serial link multiplayer options. Perhaps it's worth diving into to see how portable that's to the Dreamcast serial (VS/link) cable :)

DanRedfield
shadow

Post#16 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:04 am

Fantastic work dude!
Your progress is far ahead of my KOS port (all of my time has been going into Postal) so I'm going to ditch mine and instead wait excitedly for this one one to come out:D

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#17 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:04 pm

DanRedfield wrote:Fantastic work dude!
Your progress is far ahead of my KOS port (all of my time has been going into Postal) so I'm going to ditch mine and instead wait excitedly for this one one to come out:D

Please dont this is 2d framebuffer

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#18 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Am I Dreamin' ? Keep up the good work !

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#19 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:52 pm

Hello @Ivan Guber! Congratulations on the work!

One question: Would it be possible to port the game "International Rally Championship 1997" from PC?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#20 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:08 pm

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:One question: Would it be possible to port the game "International Rally Championship 1997" from PC?

do you have the source code for this game?