***IMPORTANT UPDATE- 03/30/2022*** It's come to my attention that there was a game breaking bug on Claire's Disc, where the game crashes just before meeting the Alligator Boss. I've uploaded an updated CDI for Claire with the necessary bug fix. Discard the previous release of Claire's Special Edition Disc and replace it with the FIXED VERSION which you can now find here in the download links.
RESIDENT EVIL 2: SPECIAL EDITION Game Mod by Green Ranger (released 03/2022)
It's finally upon us- Resident Evil 2: SPECIAL EDITION is here! If you enjoyed the original game, get ready for new surprises in this modded version for the Dreamcast!
WHAT IT IS: CDI version of 'Resident Evil 2', extensively modded to include new costumes, new enemies, new obstacles, new gameplay mechanics etc. The same great game but with new and altered material to provide a unique experience.
*NOTE*- Due to numerous changes done to the game, do not use any save files you may have from previously playing the original Resident Evil 2 game- you will likely enocunter bugs and miss out on aspects of the modded experience if you do. Start the game fresh and create new save files to keep tabs on your progress.
*NOTE*- This is the PAL version of Resident Evil 2 which can be played on all Dreamcast consoles regardless of Region. If using VGA video output, the game starts automatically. If you're using Composite or S-Video, you'll be greeted with a Display Select Screen. Choose the 2nd option, '60Hz PAL' if you're in NTSC regions.
*** THIS MOD IS ONLY PLAYABLE IN ENGLISH, AS SUCH PLEASE HAVE ENGLISH SELECTED AS THE LANGUAGE OF CHOICE. ***
GIVING THANKS: This mod features various NPCs and Leon and Claire costumes provided by the Resident Evil PC modding community. All NPCS had to be converted by me for Dreamcast use and other modifications include model edits, texture edits and the creation of new NPCS from playable characters to serve the purposes of this Mod. Thanks goes to the following-
1) Leigiboy for his Ada Trenchcoat Costume (modified by me)
2) Rusty for his white shirt Male survivor, Female survivor, Worker Zombie & Ark Thompson model/skin (Ark modified by me)
3) Andrew Coyte/Enrico Marini for his zombie dog skin/model, Spider texture and Elza skin (Elza skin modified by me)
4) Enrico Marini/Project Safehouse team for their EM01F/EM11F Zombie skins, Female Zombie Cop and Fat Zombie Cop (Fat Zombie Cop modified by me)
5) Project Safehouse for their child zombie skin (zombie skin texture altered for use in the creation of my own zombie kids based on Sherry's character model)
6) Komizo for his Mr.X model/skin & new Leon default costume with back dash ability (Leon modified by me)
7) Silent Hill Origins straitjacket zombie by DarkSpyda04 (modified by me)
8) Resident Evil 1.5 Female Zombie by MartinBiohazard (modified by me)
9) Running Crimson Head Scientists by VirusPunk
10) RE2 Demo Rocket Launcher model provided by kevstah2004
11) Leon's new Locker PL0A costume (MSF) by Dekker (modified by me)
12) Claire's new Locker costume/model by Rebecca Chambers (modified by me)
13) Storm Trooper costume/model by John Spider
Special thanks to Komizo for granting permission to use his Mr. X model and for the use of Leon's back dash ability animation to be inserted into the following characters-
i) Claire (active in her default costume) ii) Ada iii) Ark Thompson iv) Hunk
Use this thread to share your comments, questions, bugs (if any?) and strategies in playing this mod. There's lots of edits I'll refrain from mentioning because I want you to be surprised while you're playing! I won't leave you hanging though as I can at least give you some PRO-TIPS!
1) Tap back/away when close to an enemy to perform a new evasive back dash manuever. Useful for when you want to quickly get away from enemies, especially ones that lunge at you. Works only for default costumes and if one's health is at 'FINE'.
2) If you find dead bodies on the floor, check them for items- you might get lucky.
3) Sherry has access to new items- attain them for greater chances of survival.
4) If you don't dispose of zombies in an area where a cutscene begins and they attack you during one, the player may be penalized by losing access to the game's menus, which can only be restored if you exit the current room or pick up an item in the current room.
5) Claire and Leon each have new extended endings (B Scenarios only).
KNOWN BUGS: i) In the fireplace room with the red jewel, the item (red jewel) is now semi-transparent (Leon Disc only).
ii) Not actually a bug, but worth mentoning- When using the DEMO version of the Rocket Launcher (Exclusive to Leon's Disc), the retail Rocket Launcher image still appears when you 'examine' the item. Its icons have been updated to the DEMO one, but I'm unsure as to how to replace its larger image when the item is examined.
If you're interested in knowing of the tools which aided me in this modding project, see below- BIO2GPS by The Moritician Blender Adobe Photoshop ADXENCD AdxConverter SFDMUX RESIDENT EVIL 1&2 Height Adjust V0.1 by Enrico Marini Hex Workshop 6.7 IPBIN Logo Tool RE2MemoEditor, RE2ADTEditor, EMDViewer & RE2MV (by Leo2236) Nova Audio Extractor ReTextEditor by GameZelda TIM2VIEW TMPGEnc Wav2adpcm BIOFAT version 06.23.2011 and BIOFAT 0.0.0.9
AND FINALLY: I hope everyone that plays this Mod enjoys it! Resident Evil 2 is one of my favorite games and this was fun to work on. This is purely a non-profit fan project that was done to increase the title's replayability and to let other Dreamcast fans know that this game is moddable, should they want to try!
*I do not own the rights to the Resident Evil games or franchise and this project is not intended to infringe upon the rights of their respective owners- this project is a means to encourage further interest in a survival horror title that is no longer available/distributed on the market for a gaming console that has long been discontinued.
Extract the CDIs and the README file from the archive. CDIs are selfbooting, just burn it in Discjuggler or IMGBURN to play on your console or use a Dreamcast emulator that plays WinCE games (such as Redream). Enjoy and thank you for your patience and support! Feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel for videos on my various Dreamcast modding projects- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEzvJ7 ... XD0n-ItpTg
Last edited by Green Ranger on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 12 times in total.
mistamontiel wrote:I assume deaths no one has cracked what obscures them to black in all three regions
Thanks for the kind work!!
EDIT: I'm also curious as to why PAL version, so it's going to be VGA exclusive for 60hz can't s-vid
You can use Composite and/or S-video. If not using VGA, you'll be greeted with this select screen. Choose the second option 60Hz PAL to play if you're in NTSC regions. If you have VGA enabled, it bypasses this screen entirely.
EDIT: I've also updated the first post with these instructions.
fafadou wrote:Bé proud of you dear @green ranger. It's not possible to release a gdi for dreamshell users please ?
I do not have/use Dreamshell so I wouldn't be able to test any GDIs on my end. gazu2020 has offered to create GDI versions of my release for use in Retrodream, would that be suitable for Dreamshell? I cannot seem to find information on Dreamshell's compatibility for the PAL release of RE2, but I hear that Retrodream provides better compatibility overall. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
gazu2020 wrote:great job@green ranger . I congratulate you, I will be encouraged with your permission to make a gdi. to use in retrodream
Permission granted! I ask that you please include the README file from the CDI release since it contains essential information, as well as incorporate the logos from the CDI IP.BINs into the GDIs (if possible). Once you make the GDIs and they're confirmed to be working, I will update my first post by adding your download links and give you the credit for assembling the GDI copies. Keep me posted