POSTAL: DIGITAL EDITION is now FREE direct from Publisher

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

basicpermit
noob

Re: POSTAL: DIGITAL EDITION is now FREE direct from Publisher

Post#21 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 am

Please let me know if you have any success with this. I'd like to chip in a few bucks, too!

foodle

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:29 am

MoeFoh wrote:The Dreamcast source code is available for download:
https://www.wavegamestudios.com/open-source

They always planned the digital version to be free. They are going the extra mile and making a downloadable CDI. Source is reddit.
pic.png

My guess is a marketing decision is at play here. They get a database of Dreamcast gamers with their email address - some of which will be future buyers.

I read that the original PC game was released as freeware in 2016.

This is not true, as you need the assets from the disc to build it the pc assets are not compatible at all..
It was never said to party's involved this was true..

to create the disc by pointing it at POSTAL/build/disc (The assets from the Dreamcast retail disc
will need to be placed in this folder before building the .cdi - The assets from the PC version will not work!)

So how are going to make a custom version with out the retail disk assets..

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#23 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:45 pm

killer-elite wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:https://www.wavegamestudios.com/shop/postal-digital

Post if you have success on the download.

So apparently it gives you three tries to download the file, then you have to repurchase the free download after those three tries are used up. Kinda a pain cause the file was corrupted, but will download to try out the game/to preserve the game copy.

UPDATE : I've tried about 7 times or so to download. Each time the file does not download and when it does its corrupted. I think the publisher is trolling people who want the game for free and they legit have a dummy corrupted file up for download that will not work.

Any luck on the download? What country are you in? I may download just to see what is going on.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MondoGecko
minority

Post#24 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 pm

killer-elite wrote:

So apparently it gives you three tries to download the file, then you have to repurchase the free download after those three tries are used up. Kinda a pain cause the file was corrupted, but will download to try out the game/to preserve the game copy.

UPDATE : I've tried about 7 times or so to download. Each time the file does not download and when it does its corrupted. I think the publisher is trolling people who want the game for free and they legit have a dummy corrupted file up for download that will not work.

I just downloaded it and can confirm the archive is corrupt.

MoeFoh wrote:My guess is a marketing decision is at play here. They get a database of Dreamcast gamers with their email address - some of which will be future buyers.

If the intent was to supply people who wanted the game for free with a broken archive while collecting their personal information, then something about this really stinks. I'm all for supporting independent Dreamcast developers and not pirating releases that people obviously put a lot of work into, especially when developing for something like the Dreamcast where it's already unlikely you're going to make much money, but the developer's decision to leave the Dreamcast scene and this official free release having the corrupted download issue are both adding up to make WAVE Game Studios look petty. I don't mean to throw accusations around or anything but something about WAVE making this free and supplying people with something that is actually broken, especially following all of the fallout related to this release, seems wrong. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and assume this is just a mistake or a technical issue, I genuinely hope that's what's happening here, but time will tell, I suppose.

EDIT: Tried downloading again through my tablet instead of my PC, got a larger file size but still corrupt. Something is wrong with this download.
Last edited by MondoGecko on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#25 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm

MondoGecko wrote:
killer-elite wrote:

I just downloaded it and can confirm the archive is corrupt.

MoeFoh wrote:My guess is a marketing decision is at play here. They get a database of Dreamcast gamers with their email address - some of which will be future buyers.

If the intent was to supply people who wanted the game for free with a broken archive while collecting their personal information, then something about this really stinks. I'm all for supporting independent Dreamcast developers and not pirating releases that people obviously put a lot of work into, especially when developing for something like the Dreamcast where it's already unlikely you're going to make much money, but the developer's decision to leave the Dreamcast scene and this official free release having the corrupted download issue are both adding up to make WAVE Game Studios look petty. I don't mean to throw accusations around or anything but something about WAVE making this free and supplying people with something that is actually broken, especially following all of the fallout related to this release, seems wrong. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and assume this is just a mistake or a technical issue, I genuinely hope that's what's happening here, but time will tell, I suppose.

I downloaded earlier today to my Android tablet - no corruption, passes verification and extracted fine. That said, something is not right.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#26 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 pm

Tell you what you can do called buy it

MoeFoh wrote:
MondoGecko wrote:
killer-elite wrote:

Game is 100% perserved it went to the press you can buy it what are you talking about? There is also more then few demos he put out full game you could test if you wanted and buy it..

Src is only good to us dev's as you need the retail game dc version to make a custom version and the pc assets are not compatible in any way..

Btw you not going to like the credits in the game as I'm in it..

Code: Select all

DreamSDK 2 (patched with newer KOS updates) was the primary dev environment but any updated KOS
  toolchain with GCC 4.7 should do the job

- Run ./rebuild.sh to build it from scratch and ./build.sh if you're not changing any of the core rspix
  lib stuff as it's much quicker. (You'll need rebuild.sh if doing anything in /BLUE /ORANGE or /GREEN dirs).

- If you get compilation race-conditions, run the .sh with -S to force single-threaded builds

- Running the .sh with -M will show in-game mem stats and some other debug stuff

- I use Bootdreams to create the disc by pointing it at POSTAL/build/disc (The assets from the Dreamcast retail disc
  will need to be placed in this folder before building the .cdi - The assets from the PC version will not work!)

- It doesn't like -O3 on some game maps (probably mem alignment,) but to be honest it didn't really make any
  difference speed wise. I briefly experimented with some options like flto, but it just padded the bin size massively and resulted in almost no runtime difference.

- There's probably extra performance to be gained (mostly in fixing cache misses in the AI pipeline) and a few
  bits of jank I'd had liked to fix (like rumble pack hot-plug,) if anyone wanted somewhere to start

- Any source code files not explicitly accompanied by, or headed with, a GPL or relevant copyright notice
  within the /PVR /MAPLE and /AICA directories may be considered as public domain (and without ANY kind of warranty)

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: POSTAL: DIGITAL EDITION is now FREE

Post#27 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:07 am

Zoarb wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:
Zoarb wrote:You might want to look at the fallout behind it being a free version first bud. One of our devs, who was responsible for it, had the wind taken out of his sails, and lost motivation. Understandably so to be honest.

This, I believe, was the main push behind Ian posting that video earlier.

I'm not the one offering a free digital download - the publisher is. Let that sink in. I presume you will buying the CD version, yes?

Before I start this, I want to say, this could have all been avoided if you hadn't doubled down.

Alright, let's point out issues with everything you put. Point by point. It's been awhile, so I'm a bit rusty. So pleaese forgive me.

1: I'm not the one offering a free digital download -:

You are correct. You are not the one offering the digital download. But you are the one supporting it by sharing the link.

2: the publisher is (in regards to the one offering the free digitial download):
Same logic as "I'm not bad for doing drugs. The dealer is bad for giving it to me". But I'll entertain your point.

First. Let's point out the biggest falacy with your logic. It's like when people pop on World of Warcraft after saying how much they disapprove of what Blizzzard did, but defend themselves by saying they're not paying for the sub. It doesn't matter. They're still numbers the horrible company can show to investors, advertisers, prospective clients, etc.

However you chose to justify it, it doesn't make it ok.

The publisher is at fault here regardless. AKA Running with Scissors. They're the ones who made the call to make the game free. And because of that Dan is no longer receiving any kind of monetization from the project's digital distribution because of said publisher. And the distributor, aka, the people from the link you posted, are not the problem here either. They are just doing what they are told by RWS. AKA the rights holder for the series.

3: -Let that sink in. :

I know you're not familiar with me, but trust me, I don't need anything to "sink in" considering I have done my fair share of research when it comes to distribution rights. And copyright. And I certainly don't need education from someone who refuses to pay for other devs hard work if it's still being actively sold. As well as when that same person has encouraged piracy, and seemingly continues.

4: I presume you will buying the CD version, yes? :
Not that it matters, but I'll answer your question.

No. I will not be buying the physical release. As I do not know if the money goes to the rightful people. And quite frankly, it's not my type of game. So I wouldn't have bought it regardless. But I will be reaching out to Dan this Friday as it is my payday, and toss a couple of bucks their way if they'll let me.

Your right, you are a bit rusty. Points 1-3 are fabricated lies or utter non-sense. Point 4, agree, donate to Dan. Why don't you add this to your signature, "Repeat made up lies."
- Charles Bukowski

Retro-45
letterbomb

Post#28 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:29 am

Umm I don’t think that’s a smart move to make about the signature issue just saying.

And I broke my own rule about feeding into this circus.

And can we please just bury the hatchet already. We really don’t need this after what happened to the last topic. We all vented our frustration about this.

We are feeding the fire that has already been lit, instead of trying to put it out. If we keep this up then the fire will consume us.

And this topic feels like rubbing salt in a open wound.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#29 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:51 am

Retro-45 wrote:this topic feels like rubbing salt in a open wound.

It's a topic worthy of discussion though

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#30 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:43 am

Retro-45 wrote:Umm I don’t think that’s a smart move to make about the signature issue just saying.

And I broke my own rule about feeding into this circus.

And can we please just bury the hatchet already. We really don’t need this after what happened to the last topic. We all vented our frustration about this.

We are feeding the fire that has already been lit, instead of trying to put it out. If we keep this up then the fire will consume us.

And this topic feels like rubbing salt in a open wound.

I agree with this .. And this topic was only started in spite anyways.. then the tinfoil hate club when you cant download it :)
IMG_3053-ANIMATION_large.gif

buy the game who cares if you can download it for free that does not support dan.. donating to dan is his right if he wanted you to he post right in this topic because let me till you he has read it..

Btw https://twitter.com/DC_Redfield/status/1541599805641789446

Running With Scissors
@RWSbleeter
Replying to
@RWSbleeter
... all we ask for in return, is a Dremcast port! Someone, please - get on that. There's probably some kind of reward in it for ya!
12:35 PM · Dec 28, 2016·Twitter Web Client
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.