Astro Port Collection

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

SWOS
rebel

Astro Port Collection

Post#1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:43 pm

Finally received my copy of the Astro Port collection.

Had a quick go on the four games included:

First thoughts - Gigantic Army looks fun but might become a bit repetitive
Zangeri Warp - enjoyed this more than I was expecting - good fun warping
Satazius Next - graphics don't look that good via VGA - seems quite difficult but will give it a go
Wolflame - much harder than I was expecting.

Price does seem expensive but know sales are much smaller on dreamcast - packaging is nice as per usual.

Roz
photon blast

Re: Astro Port Collection

Post#2 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:01 pm

Good games!
No music in Satazius Next ?!

SWOS
rebel

Post#3 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:26 pm

No there isn't music in satazius next. I will contact joshprod as I think this might be a production error. Looking at videos of game footage from the standalone versions there is music on those.

SWOS
rebel

Post#5 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:05 am

Hi Ian

I know joshprod doesn't necessarily port these games the most efficiently but should it be possible to port them with a higher standard of graphics. The background layers always seem to be reduced to such a drastic small pallette that they lack blending and really jar. Obviously not expecting the same as a switch version but hoped there would be something more achievable than what has been released. Mainly talking about gigantic army and previously army seven.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:04 am

"Price does seem to be expensive." Boy what an understatement, considering these are regularly on sale on Steam for around $3 each. This pack is super expensive for what it is. Especially if the port quality is suspect.

SWOS
rebel

Post#7 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:02 pm

The games work out at around £25 each compared to the usual £35.
It would be nice if they did some more download demo cds to try before you buy.

Its a bit frustrating that you can't buy Gigantic Army and Zangeri Warp as standalone dreamcast releases.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:12 pm

SWOS wrote:Hi Ian

I know joshprod doesn't necessarily port these games the most efficiently but should it be possible to port them with a higher standard of graphics. The background layers always seem to be reduced to such a drastic small pallette that they lack blending and really jar. Obviously not expecting the same as a switch version but hoped there would be something more achievable than what has been released. Mainly talking about gigantic army and previously army seven.

You should be expecting as good as swtich none of these are past Dreamcast spec well under it.. Want to see proper done port from switch or ps4 look at shadow gangs..

These are ported to freeware stand using old sound api's with 60% spike in cpu and to port it they just use the lowest colour pal so the game fits it's not proper port it's get it to run as fast as possible.. No one is using GLDC like shadow gangs and driving strikers .. It's old dev tech that comes with old kos..

Danny Boy
shadow

Post#9 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:38 pm

SWOS wrote:No there isn't music in satazius next. I will contact joshprod as I think this might be a production error. Looking at videos of game footage from the standalone versions there is music on those.

This collection has been delayed the best part of a year… and yet they mess up a game that’s already been released in a decent state 9 months ago. Joshprod just aren’t even trying any more.

SWOS
rebel

Post#10 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:57 pm

They've run out of stock it seems and are doing a new batch for delivery in October. Maybe they've noticed the issue. Will update when I get a reply.

I think the reason they gave for the original delay was that they had to change the company they were using for pressing the game due to quality issues.