Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast

Post#11 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:41 pm

krssn wrote:Looks nice. Vaguely reminds me of Magic Sword. Hope the port works out... ^^

Spiritual sucessor to black tiger :lol: but also a great game
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

mr. jones
rebel

Post#12 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:32 pm

So far, so good.

Was able to burn the CDI file without issue. Disc boots to the intro screen for Crazy Viking Studios, then to the main title screen. You can hit Start for options, or simply walk right to start the game.

I've only been able to play for about an hour or so - I won't be able to do too much more until this weekend. My TV didn't like the output of my Dreamcast too much - it would bounce to an offset 16:9 even though I had it set at 4:3. On a monitor I had no issues. I had no problems with music cutting out, or controls being wonky. VMU says Volgarr the Viking when the game is loaded. Nice touch.

Gameplay is smooth. Scrolling is really nice, and didn't seem jerky at all. Having said that, I'm finding out that my game skills are VERY rusty - this game is difficult. I never made it past the first level. Sorry! I will less lame this weekend. I basically want to see if the game goes to the next few levels without crashing.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#13 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:41 pm

That's insane,,if it all works,,they should release it as a commercial game...
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#14 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 pm

mazonemayu wrote:That's insane,,if it all works,,they should release it as a commercial game...

Yes, they should!!!

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#15 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:33 pm

mr. jones, so what is the plan ? Do you intend to share it or you are testing it for developers?
Can you show a video or pics with running it at Dreamcast?

That's insane,,if it all works,,they should release it as a commercial game...

Yes! If the port is good they definitely should release it as commercial product.
If they are in US i guess GOAT Store is best for publishing if they are in EU - Hucast is a good choice.

mr. jones
rebel

Post#16 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 pm

VasiliyRS, I absolutely plan on sharing it. The developer who gave me the game basically just asked before throwing it out in the wild, to make sure it wasn't crashware. He posted two versions, a "stable" version, and a "latest" version. I'm looking to post the latest version, since the stable version has the audio cut out when you die. He doesn't have the time to test, so... here I am.

As for video and pics, I don't have any recording equipment outside of my phone, so it would be one of those crappy off screen deals. If you're cool with that, I might be able to do that when I'm on break tomorrow.

mr. jones
rebel

Post#17 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Y'know, after posting what I just did, I'm realizing something. I can guarantee that I'm not going to get through the game this weekend. It's unofficial, and the developer isn't going to be putting anymore time into it (as far as I know. If it's really buggy past the first couple levels, he might look into it, but I honestly have no idea about that).

So let's get this out there. Anyone have a good place to host the game? The zipped file is 38.4 MB. It contains a text file basically saying that Viking Studios did NOT officially release this for the Dreamcast, so use at your own risk, and the CDI file.

Impulse
Admin

Post#18 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:04 am

mr. jones wrote:Y'know, after posting what I just did, I'm realizing something. I can guarantee that I'm not going to get through the game this weekend. It's unofficial, and the developer isn't going to be putting anymore time into it (as far as I know. If it's really buggy past the first couple levels, he might look into it, but I honestly have no idea about that).

So let's get this out there. Anyone have a good place to host the game? The zipped file is 38.4 MB. It contains a text file basically saying that Viking Studios did NOT officially release this for the Dreamcast, so use at your own risk, and the CDI file.

Private message me. I can host it here :)

Thanks for posting this man!
-Impulse

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#19 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:18 am

Me 2 i have space and bandwidth on my own paid server!
I can also put together a small web page for the download and add some illustrations and maybe cover art?

PM me if you need it!

mr. jones
rebel

Post#20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:31 am

Hi Impluse, hello Segata.

You both have PMs.