Dodo's Collection

Post your Dreamcast collections in this section. Wow us with your impressive amount of Sega items ;)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Vince86
rebel

Re: Dodo Collection

Post#21 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Is there any benefit to doing the mod over just buying a normal DC vga cable?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Nope...

dodo1867
lithium

Post#23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:38 pm

I think the internal VGA mod must be an aesthetic type of thing then if it offers no benefits over the cable.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:39 am

Yeah it is the same deal. You are just tapping directly into the AV and wiring it directly to it and having the output on the back of the console. Both ways still offer amazingly clear 480p.

Honestly it is far more work than it is worth to most people, getting a Chinese VGA cable on eBay for like $15 is a much better solution for others. But, if you are wanting to just pimp out your DC and give it more features then have at it Haas. ;)

I for one always like seeing others mods.

dodo1867
lithium

Re: Dodo's Collection

Post#25 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Thank you again for the helpful information, Anthony you are right that the cable seems like the better option. Today my SYBA IDE to Compact Flash Adapter arrived seem like good quality for something that cost less than 10 dollars shipped and my karaoke finally shipped on the snail mail from Japan now to play the waiting game. On more stupid news the water cooling idea is still on the back of my mind :lol: :lol: .

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Cool! It will be interesting to see how a water cooled DC does. The VAO revision consoles have a heatpipe setup, which is pretty good. I would suggest maybe keeping that as those consoles tend to be more rareish.

dodo1867
lithium

Post#27 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:31 am

Well got some more parts in finally did the swappable battery and fuse mod (doing this mod made me realize how crappy my solder iron is and that I need a replacement ASAP) also got my Olmaster 2.5" Hard Drive Mobile Rack. So for those that have done the ide mod do you think this would be a suitable adapter for sata to ide conversion https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-to-Serial-ATA-Bi-Directional-Convertor-SATA-2-0-Adapter/332784895345?hash=item4d7b868571:g:be0AAOxyjzNRGHnz
Also gave it a good cleaning while it was open.
It was the most compact tray for 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD I could find (fits perfectly into the flat side where the modem plugs into) it is completely removable for adding more games and even has keys for locking it lol :lol:

dodo1867
lithium

Post#28 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:07 am

Today the most important part of the build finally arrived the Dreamcast karaoke unit I have already stripped the internals out of it. Now off to 3d print a plate for the Raspberry Pi and the other stuff going into it.
Also now is when I can see how much yellowing my Dreamcast really has when on top of the karaoke unit

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 am

NICE!

You should look into retrobrite. You can make it yourself and it will remove the yellow tinge from the ABS plastic and restore it to like new condition.

If you need to see what the best methods are, this video REALLY goes over them well.

dodo1867
lithium

Post#30 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:38 am

Thank for the reference Anthony. Also forgot to add these photos I figure they may help anyone thinking about doing the same thing see how much space they have to work with.
This is with the 2.5 HDD/SSD drive Bay and typical dreampi components (My components will be going under the drive bay so I will still have a lot of space left over and the wires can all be routed to the Dreamcast by the modem slot on the top of the karaoke unit)
And this is what you can expect to remove from one of these karaoke units when stripping it down.