thegonzo's Dreamcast Collect

Post your Dreamcast collections in this section. Wow us with your impressive amount of Sega items ;)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

thegonzo
noob

thegonzo's Dreamcast Collect

Post#1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:40 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'd like to start off with a bit of a display of my console.

Bit of an intro, have been a long time enthusiast of the Sega Dreamcast, ever since my uncle purchased one on launch here in Australia.

Games I remember playing in our sweaty, non-airconditioned room during summer include Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi and Resident Evil Code Veronica (curtains drawn, night time horror).

About 10 years ago I was fortunate to find myself this unit for sale at my local Cash Converters; It was in poor form, had graffiti all over with pencil/greylead and was left for doom. I cleaned it up with an old sponge and Jif cleaning agent; came out real nice. Even got rid of the yellow tinge that most light-color console fall victim to.

It came without an AV cable, so I ordered one off eBay for $10. Plugged it all in and everything worked a treat!

I was very enthusiastic at the time (and am now slowly coming back) into the homebrew scene, modchips and unleashing other cool elements of gaming consoles including the OG Xbox, PSP and PS3. Soon found out that my Sega Dreamcast was an early model without the tight security to prohibit playing backup games; this sparked my interest for the platform even more!

I moved out into my own place at 20 and purchased my first TV (55inch Samsung LCD). Had no television antenna, media player, computer or gaming consoles left at the time (as I had sold everything) EXCEPT for my Dreamcast, so I was more than ecstatic to connect up to my brand spanking new TV and play Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, only to be greeted with a black screen upon power.

My Dreacmast was not outputting any audio or video to my new TV. I became very skeptical about the BIOS battery in the console and thought of performing a BIOS reset, similar to identical PC issues with like symptoms of no audio/video.

The battery was soldered on, being young and stupid, I snapped t off and sticky taped a new battery on anyway. Obviously didn't resolve the issue.
Researching online, I discovered the infamous Dreamcast BIOS battery slot mod, which I ended up performing a few years later.

I traveled Japan early 2019, performing pilgrimage to the center of retro gaming universe Akihabara, I visited retro gamer store Super Potato to which then I scored these epic games for my Dreamcast! (Photos inbound, standby!)

Unfortunately to this day, my console still has this issue and I'm hoping to join this community to contribute and learn!

PS I found out about this forum from one of Modern Vintage Gamer's videos on YouTube.
Attachments
49770243_10205246639601864_3504689795957784576_n.jpg
20200427_210305.jpg

dannycas
shadow

Re: thegonzo's Dreamcast Collect

Post#2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Hope you got that sorted out, I'd like to make it to Akihabara and the Sega World sometime