I made a Dreamcast mod for Sonic Adventure DX PC

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

PkR
rebel

I made a Dreamcast mod for Sonic Adventure DX PC

Post#1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 am

Hi, I'm PkR (or PiKeyAr). I had a Dreamcast when I was a teenager and it's the only console I've owned other than NES/Famicom. Sadly I had to let go of it back in the day, after less than a year of having it. Recently I became interested in Dreamcast homebrew and hardware mods, so I bought a used Dreamcast and got myself an old TV to mess around with.

Since the Dreamcast days I've been a big fan of Sonic Adventure, and I was really disappointed with the PC port (known as Sonic Adventure DX) because it looked very different, its graphics were downgraded and many effects I remembered from the original were missing. The SADX PC modding community has made many great tools to change things in the game, and at some point I started working on a mod to restore Dreamcast levels and textures in the PC version. Together with a fellow SADX hacker we reverse engineered the lighting engine used in the Dreamcast version, and he recreated that engine as a mod for the PC version to restore Dreamcast lighting. Gradually my mod also became bigger and now it's an almost complete overhaul of the game that restores levels, textures, object models, effects, sounds and branding from the Dreamcast version. I also recreated almost all GUI elements in the game in HD so that the menus look prettier at higher resolutions.

Having a real Dreamcast may help me with the development of this mod, especially with sound stuff, as emulators aren't always accurate. I also want to check out the VMU DLCs that had content exclusive to the Dreamcast version of the game. But the main reason I got the Dreamcast was to play the games I missed out on. I've never played Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia or PSO. I'm looking forward to getting it online someday.

I'm mainly a PC gamer. I play a lot of FPS games, though I don't think I'll be playing any on the Dreamcast. My other favorite games are The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Sonic Adventure, Grandia 1/2 and Rayman 2.

At the moment I have a Dreamcast connected to the TV with an RGB cable, and I play burned games on it. I've ordered an SD adapter to see if I can run games and emulators from an SD card. Tried NesterDC SE on a burned CD, looks and plays amazing.

I hope to stay here for a while since I like reading about hardware mods and messing with software and sometimes hardware myself.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: I made a Dreamcast mod for Sonic Adventure DX PC

Post#2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Great work! Nice having you here in the community, I hope you enjoy your time here. We are an active community, so feel free to ask questions, etc...
Regards,
Bob Dobbs