Best Birthday Present Ever!

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

anal0g
noob

Best Birthday Present Ever!

Post#1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am

Hey everyone!

I'm one of the (probably many) people that was intrigued by the Dreamcast back when it was released, but never got around to buying one.
I had a PS1 back then, and eventually switched to the original Xbox. None of my friends had a Dreamcast, so I never had any experience with a Dreamcast at all.
Well, now is the time. I've been thinking about buying one for a while now, and actually got one for my (30th) birthday! I'm as happy as a 14 year old kid right now =D

So I'm naturally in awe by this little machine, and considering joining in on this "Dreamcast Live" thing you guys got going. Besides that, i'm browsing through this entire back catalog of games i never got to play. So many games. So little time.

Oh, and the boring stuff; during the daytime i'm a "Full Stack" web developer from The Netherlands.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Best Birthday Present Ever!

Post#2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:24 pm

welcome home!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Welcome hello!

Plenty of great games for whatever kind of mood you might be in. Dreamcast live is quite fun, it's a small but fun community.

Hope to see you soon on the racetrack!

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#4 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:17 pm

I was in the same place a few years ago, never had a Dreamcast, just has a PS2 and a lacklustre PC. Now I'm loving games like Re-Volt, Sega GT, Headhunter, Shenmue, The Nomad Soul... enjoy the ride!

Everyone has been very friendly and helpful here so enjoy :)

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#5 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Welcome to the club. Grab youself a DreamPi and join the online club aswell
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

WingMantis
dark night

Post#6 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:12 am

anal0g wrote:...I'm naturally in awe by this little machine, and considering joining in on this "Dreamcast Live" thing you guys got going. Besides that, i'm browsing through this entire back catalog of games i never got to play. So many games. So little time.

Well it gets even better. Get yourself a gameshark, action replay, or codebreaker so you can do widescreen codes. segaretro.org has a list, but most of the work is being done at assemblergames.

There are even hex edits that can be done to game images to get the widescreen built in (you should own the game of course...)

Just yesterday the main person working on widescreen codes started wondering if games could be hacked to render the framebuffer at 24-bit color. Most games process at 24-bit but dither the image to 16-bit color to have a smaller frame buffer.

So, some games may get even better looking if there is enough room in VRAM to enable 24-bit. Fingers crossed!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:09 am

(you should own the game of course...)

For what reason? Either you originally bought the game when the system was current or you didn't. Buying it now certainly doesn't put money in the hands of Sega or publishers or the game studio.

Maybe for moral values or collecting values but definitely not to just play the game.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:19 am

Cross-compat over ANY medium ! WELCOME !!!

Some come join the DreamPi fam today !!!!!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 am

@anaL0g look into trying to find a couple dreamcast controller extenders (makes a huge difference). Also of note could be a VGA cable+VGA to HDMI box, I have zero idea of price for that in the Netherlands though. I am USA and I was able to get both for $27 USD.

anal0g
noob

Post#10 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I'm currently playing Re-Volt. Great game, played it on the PC back in the day. Somehow it's more difficult than i remember it being!

For now, I'm not disappointed with the picture quality through SCART, but a VGA box is on the list ;)