Long time DreamCast owner, new dreamcast-talk user

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

PinkFreud
Fancy Pants Admin

Long time DreamCast owner, new dreamcast-talk user

Post by PinkFreud »

Hi all!

I'm a long-time DreamCast owner here, having picked mine up not long after the initial NA release in 1999. While my DC remains unmodified, I did pick up the keyboard adapter, mouse, VGA, and LAN module at some point in the distant past, and even booted NetBSD on the console on a few occasions (mostly at local LUG meetings!).

After sitting unused on a shelf for some years (along with a second DC a friend gave us several years back!), I've decided to start tinkering with the DreamCast once again, as well as introducing my 6 yo to the platform (his first game on it was last night, playing Sonic Adventure. As predicted, he loved it!).

My original DC now has a dead CMOS battery, which I'm looking to change out (miraculously, the second unit I have still holds a charge, though I'd imagine it probably doesn't last long once it's unplugged!). I'm also considering a USB or SD mod to protect the discs I have (we're trying to teach the 6- and 3-yos good optical disc etiquette, but it takes time!). I've been falling down a rabbit hole ever since looking at things I could do to modernize this system, eventually landing here.
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Re: Long time DreamCast owner, new dreamcast-talk user

Post by Bob Dobbs »

Welcome!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

Welcome mate
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here
PinkFreud
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by PinkFreud »

Thanks, everyone!
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

Love that name 'PinkFreud' - is it a play on 'Pink Floyd' - love that band. Anyway, welcome and we're here to answer any and all questions.
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Post by Bob Dobbs »

PinkFreud wrote:Hi all!

My original DC now has a dead CMOS battery, which I'm looking to change out (miraculously, the second unit I have still holds a charge, though I'd imagine it probably doesn't last long once it's unplugged!).
I just bought new CMOS rechargable batteries for my Dreamcasts along with the replacement battery holders. You cannot use a standard CR2032 series battery, I got a great deal on Maxell ML2032 rechargeable batteries.

Below is a link for a nice kit for a single Dreamcast I found as an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254509051006
Regards,
Bob Dobbs
Londinium
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I'm up for anything

Post by Londinium »

The best part about new user introductions is that 99% of the time, they're online for all of 2 days and never reappear again
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
EskiM0JOJ0
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Chu Chu rocket

Post by EskiM0JOJ0 »

PinkFreud wrote: I just bought new CMOS rechargable batteries for my Dreamcasts along with the replacement battery holders. You cannot use a standard CR2032 series battery, I got a great deal on Maxell ML2032 rechargeable batteries.
I just added soldered in a vertical battery holder https://console5.com/store/vertical-hol ... eries.html.
Currently using a CR2032 standard battery :? My scatterbrain didn't realize it was intended specifically for rechargeable ML2032 batteries. Other than not lasting as long, should be fine, right?