Competition #9 - Speed Devils (Ended)

Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast Live Competition #9 - Speed Devils

Post#11 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:27 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:its not just invisible walls, i'll be driving in the centre of the track round the bend and then the controls lock and u veer away from the track

I've never had that happen before.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:50 pm

hows this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZDSQkYFg8o[/youtube]
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#13 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:hows this one:

Pretty good. :D I see what you mean now about losing control of the car. That does happen to me too but it doesn't really bother me that much. Maybe it's because I just don't play racing games that often. I'm not used to perfect steering and controls.
PSO Characters:

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:22 pm

your taking all this the wrong way mate, no racing game has perfect steering or controls, but Speed Devils always had a lot of dodgy mechanics where if you went off the beaten path you were screwed, which just shouldn't happen to the extent it does in Speed Devils. Vanishing Point is another evil driving game on Dreamcast, the controls and environment collison are horrible. Speed Devils was a fun game but it had punishing/unforgiving mechanics in some places, though mostly it wasn't on purpose lol

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#15 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:your taking all this the wrong way mate, no racing game has perfect steering or controls, but Speed Devils always had a lot of dodgy mechanics where if you went off the beaten path you were screwed, which just shouldn't happen to the extent it does in Speed Devils. Vanishing Point is another evil driving game on Dreamcast, the controls and environment collison are horrible. Speed Devils was a fun game but it had punishing/unforgiving mechanics in some places, though mostly it wasn't on purpose lol

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I guess I really meant to say mechanics/physics.
PSO Characters:

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#16 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:28 pm

1207111918.jpg

here is my lap time. i could probably improve it if i was to try on the second or last lap instead of the first lap.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:37 pm

um... not wanting to be picky but from that screenshot how can we tell what car or course or time of day you used?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#18 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:57 pm

madmax2069 wrote:here is my lap time. i could probably improve it if i was to try on the second or last lap instead of the first lap.

Nice time but as DCUltrapro said above it would be nice to be able to see the car and track in the same screenshot but I'll make an exception this once. Any further entries will have to show that though.
PSO Characters:

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#19 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:06 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
madmax2069 wrote:here is my lap time. i could probably improve it if i was to try on the second or last lap instead of the first lap.

Nice time but as DCUltrapro said above it would be nice to be able to see the car and track in the same screenshot but I'll make an exception this once. Any further entries will have to show that though.

1207112003.jpg

ok here is the second try, a bit faster. this time showing the car & temple (got hit when i took the shot so the temple is some what out of view.

DCUltrapro wrote:well it depends I think it just punishes you if you go off the main track and hit the parts of the track that are different surfaces. I was driving along and I'd be steering left and the car just carried on going straight and went off the course lol. then at the beginning at least 5 times I hit invisible walls if I accidentally veered off the main part of the track near the big green eagle or hit something and then the car did a 720 degree spin and had to restart

Do I not get the chievo for 1.35 or faster?

When that giant bird is flapping its wings towards the track it makes a wind sheer that knocks you around if your close enough to it or in front of it. when he is pulling his wings back from the track its all clear to pass without getting knocked about.

There is uneven parts of the track when you cross then and you bounce a bit, when you try to turn when this is happening you either wont turn or you will slide out of controll. the car is figing for grip when you run over these parts. and being that the physics are a bit off when this happens and you try to turn you mainly have to fight for control. the same thing can happen when you jump and your car starts to go sideways while in the air, when you land it wants to spin out.

---------------------------EDIT-----------------------------
1207112058.jpg

Another slight laptime improvement

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#20 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Excellent times! Now how do I know you didn't photoshop that? :lol: Just kidding... It's not that I don't trust you... I just don't trust anyone. ;) (Pawn Stars reference)
PSO Characters: