The New Dreamcast Live

Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

The New Dreamcast Live

Post#1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Some big changes have been made to Dreamcast Live. It was a hard decision but I've decided to discontinue offline competitions because it's just been too difficult to keep up with it. The website builder I've been using since last year allowed me to make a much better looking site but has proven to be very frustrating to deal with. Recently I almost lost all the achievements on the site due to a glitch. Not only that but it's just a lot of work to input everything manually and with a lot of time going into my YouTube channel, it's just too much. It's not all bad news though! I've moved to a different website builder and completely rebooted the site with a focus on Dreamcast online gaming. I hope to make it the go-to site for anyone who plays Dreamcast online or is looking to do so. Obviously I already had an online section on the old site but with the focus shifted in that direction, I hope to refine everything and make it much cleaner. Please check out the new site and let me know what you think! Here's the shiny new domain name: http://www.dreamcastlive.net/.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: The New Dreamcast Live

Post#2 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:47 am

I like it so far. The dark theme is actually easier on my eyes, It actually runs a lot smoother on Chrome, and overall a nice soft reboot of the site. Now one thing I would like to point out is that the previous site ran like crap on my cellphone, but this did address most of the problems that I had. The only complaints I can think of is that Google Calendar works well enough, but isn't ideal for mobile users. The other one is that this could be more on me than anything else, but my cellphone is reaching like 4 years old in terms of specs and I had it for like 2 1/2 years or so doesn't seem to run it that well.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks for the feedback man! The sluggishness is another issue I had with my former website builder, Wix. That and the blatant advertising at the top and bottom of the screen. I don't like the Google calendar either because it doesn't match the theme at all. I looked for some other embeddable calendars that would sync with Google Calendar but came up empty. I'll keep looking though.
PSO Characters:

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#4 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Nice! I like it.

Roel
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the text is so dark that it's almost impossible to read.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:29 pm

Roel wrote:I don't want to rain on your parade, but the text is so dark that it's almost impossible to read.

Hmmm, I've viewed the site on multiple devices and it's perfectly readable on all of them, even on the lowest brightness level. You might want to try adjusting your screen color settings if you're using a monitor.

Is anyone else having this issue? I can change the text to a lighter one if need be but it's the default for the theme I'm using.

Edit: I went ahead and changed the font to a lighter one anyway. Let me know if that works for you.
PSO Characters:

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#7 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:07 pm

The text could still be a touch brighter, closer to the topic title text. It's quite grey.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Wrath of Khan wrote:The text could still be a touch brighter, closer to the topic title text. It's quite grey.

The title text is white. lol It's really about as bright as it can get without being white. I think it's actually about the same color as the text here but it may look a bit darker because of the black background.
PSO Characters:

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Wrath of Khan wrote:The text could still be a touch brighter, closer to the topic title text. It's quite grey.

You might need your eyes checked. However I'm not the best either because if I ever ran that site all of the text would be red on a black backdrop. :twisted:
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:56 pm

I swapped out the Google calendar for a different one that should be a bit better. I was able to match the website theme and it should also automatically change for your time zone. Could someone that's outside of the Eastern time zone check and see if it works properly?

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/schedule.html
PSO Characters: