Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#41 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 am

It always amazes me what you people know!

Impulse
Admin

Post#42 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:20 am

Attachments
vga.jpg
vga.jpg (69.68 KiB) Viewed 11044 times
controller.jpg
controller.jpg (74.11 KiB) Viewed 11045 times
-Impulse

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#43 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 am

Oh, a VGA box. Perhaps I should pick one up to see if it avoids the white band at the top of the screen that my VGA cable gives.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#44 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 am

Holly crap, that's what I'm talking about!!! Only thing left in life are flying cars. :lol:

mr_everdread
undertow

Post#45 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm

I wonder if any BT controller would work with it...

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#46 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm a bit puzzled by that USB Dreamcast controller. I mean, what games would that be good for exactly?

With the Genesis and Saturn controllers, one could say (and I agree with) that they're great for old school games due to their very good d-pad and 6 button layout.

But the DC controller doesn't have either of that, and with not enough buttons and only 1 analog stick it falls short of being an alternative to modern controllers as well, so..I find it weird.

Tho I guess it would be neat for use with DC emulators and indie devs for development.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#47 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:59 am

mr_everdread wrote:I wonder if any BT controller would work with it...

People in the community are already discussing firmware hacks to the receivers making them work with PS3/PS4 and Xbox One controllers. That is what I am hopeful for, and I am pretty sure they will eventually be able to be paired with them.

The one problem you will have to contend with here are the MANY games that don't support saves from controllers in port 2, as I ran into that issue with a PSX clone controller I bought for DC that had no way to connect VMU's to it.

Was a damn good 3rd party controller and was very sturdily built despite looking like a cheap POS. I bought it around the time Volgar the Viking was released on DC and played the hell out of that game with it. The D-pad on it was actually very Saturn like.

What I am hoping for though, is for the ability to pair the Saturn and Dreamcast controllers with each others systems, well more so to use the Saturn wireless on on the DC.

Roel
Developer

Post#48 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 am

Tarnish, Anthony817: I wish this board had a feature to let me upvote your posts!

mr_everdread
undertow

Post#49 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 am

Anthony817 wrote:
mr_everdread wrote:I wonder if any BT controller would work with it...

People in the community are already discussing firmware hacks to the receivers making them work with PS3/PS4 and Xbox One controllers. That is what I am hopeful for, and I am pretty sure they will eventually be able to be paired with them.

The one problem you will have to contend with here are the MANY games that don't support saves from controllers in port 2, as I ran into that issue with a PSX clone controller I bought for DC that had no way to connect VMU's to it.

Was a damn good 3rd party controller and was very sturdily built despite looking like a cheap POS. I bought it around the time Volgar the Viking was released on DC and played the hell out of that game with it. The D-pad on it was actually very Saturn like.

What I am hoping for though, is for the ability to pair the Saturn and Dreamcast controllers with each others systems, well more so to use the Saturn wireless on on the DC.

Lol I just want to use a right anny stick.

petter3k
Developer

Post#50 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Tarnish wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by that USB Dreamcast controller. I mean, what games would that be good for exactly?

With the Genesis and Saturn controllers, one could say (and I agree with) that they're great for old school games due to their very good d-pad and 6 button layout.

But the DC controller doesn't have either of that, and with not enough buttons and only 1 analog stick it falls short of being an alternative to modern controllers as well, so..I find it weird.

Tho I guess it would be neat for use with DC emulators and indie devs for development.

First of all, the modern controllers you like, are there because of this controller, or did you just think the original xbox US controller just fell down from the SKIES all by itself with no influence from ANY other controller? And the S controller after it? Or what about ANY controller for the Xbox anyway? While speaking of controllers I have yet to see a following of fans for controllers with 3 "handles" like the N64 controller. This controller not only laid the fundamentals of todays modern controllers but it is also the only one officially made that are 100% guaranteed to work with any games for this system, and I dont see how playing games for older consoles except those optimized for a 6 button layout, would be any different. Its a legendary controller. I could seriously fall asleep with this in my hands because of how comfortable it is and it has VMU slots. Not something you find so many other places, is it?

While we are talking controllers and you mention Saturn controllers, I might add that the MK1 version of the Saturn controller is maybe the worst controller available on any Sega system altogether. Not enough buttons? I would REALLY like to know what you are actually playing on a PC that this controller is not capable of doing, be it RPG, platform or just about anything.

Which game it would be good for? Are you serious? I would seriously like to know what YOU are playing that the Dreamcast controller is fundamentally unable to handle if you are not playing a typical FPS game, where *ANY* controller sucks in the first place, and really is just a matter of getting used to, the button layout where you strafe with buttons instead of the left analog stick.

And yeah, if you are trying to develop something that requires user interaction but is doable with an emulator and you might not nescessarily HAVE TO use dcload-ip for example or the Katana Dev-kit, its nice to have the opportunity to actually test with the official controller for the system.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.