Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roel
Developer

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 am

Tarnish wrote:I'm gonna be the negative nancy and say it: had it really killed them to update at least the analog stick to a more modern, PS4 style stick? The dpad could have been updated as well to be more like the Saturn, but changing the analog stick would really have been a simple task IMO..I might be alone on this, but it annoys me when they replicate bad/annoying features just to stay authentic to the original version of the item.

I'm with you 100%. I like the Mega Drive and Saturn controllers though, so I might get me some of those.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#22 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 am

Staying authentic is kind of the whole point of having a new production run of accessories for Sega's old systems, though.

I wonder if Sega would even allow another production run of BBAs, as doing so would basically be admitting that they support PSO and Quake private servers, which they have never officially done in the past.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#23 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 am

Aleron Ives wrote:Staying authentic is kind of the whole point of having a new production run of accessories for Sega's old systems, though.

Then why did they make a wireless version? Why not JUST make wired USB and original DC controllers and call it a day? Wouldn't THAT make it the most authentic, having the cable dangling in your lap? Why is changing aspect A of it okay, but changing aspect B of it not? That's what I don't understand. Either go all the way out on improving it, or don't do it at all. This half-assing thing just annoys me.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#24 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 am

it's still amazing that soon we'll have a wireless dreamcast controller to go with our wireless dialup emulation 8-)

i hope they have rechargable battery packs though. between the VMU and controller batteries it get expensive if you use a rumble pack and VMU is powered by controller when plugged in = battery drain
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#25 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 am

Tarnish wrote:Then why did they make a wireless version?

Removing wires has nothing to do with the feel of the controller itself. It's still a Dreamcast controller. The same can't be said for replacing the thumbstick or directional pad, and those would be subjective improvements that not everybody would like.

DR TEAMCAST wrote:i hope they have rechargable battery packs though.

You'd be better off hoping they take regular AAs, so you could use standard rechargeable batteries. Using rumble in a wireless controller is not a very economical idea. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#26 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 am

You'd be better off hoping they take regular AAs, so you could use standard rechargeable batteries. Using rumble in a wireless controller is not a very economical idea. ;

don't know why i never thought of that lol

i'm surprised to see nobody mentioning the idea of a 32mb+ VMU. i think that'd be around 6400 blocks or so. you can store 32mb in a pebble these days

edit: now the VMU should be rechargable. 2032s die in like a day
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#27 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am

Aren't lots of games limited to saving only on the first 200 blocks? Even if you unlock the extra blocks on original VMUs, not all games can save data to them, IIRC.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#28 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

Aleron Ives wrote:Aren't lots of games limited to saving only on the first 200 blocks? Even if you unlock the extra blocks on original VMUs, not all games can save data to them, IIRC.

From the documentation iv read there is not a huge limit on how much space one puts on the vmu, the only issue is with software that was not made with that in mind.

Also for the analog stick, i think if they made them just like a new Dreamcast controller well be fine, the issue with DC controllers that people dont seem to understand is that there where ridges and bumps when they are new and if anyone buys a new controller then one realizes that it very nice to hold and use. The problem is that after 20 years of gaming the thumb will slowly act as a filer to the bumps until there gone

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#29 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Tarnish, I think you're fully in the right to ask those questions.

Roel
Developer

Post#30 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:i'm surprised to see nobody mentioning the idea of a 32mb+ VMU. i think that'd be around 6400 blocks or so. you can store 32mb in a pebble these days

Each block is 512 bytes, so you'd need 65536 blocks to reach 32MB. But that number can't be stored in 16 bits, it would overrun and turn to 0.