Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.
User avatar
Roareye
BFG-10K
Posts: 213
Contact:

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#51 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Why has nobody made a modded/custom controller with a second joystick in the opposing position to the D-Pad - this stick would be mapped to imitate the ABXY buttons so it's compatible with FPS titles natively. It might not be as smooth as a modern secondary stick but it's a start.

Either way, the DC controller deals with most things just fine, tho I admit the lack of the C and Z buttons can only be considered a glaring oversight on SEGA's part back in the day - it effectively gave the DC fewer inputs than the Saturn.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of the BT controllers. If they completely lack latency it may be a way to stop me trailing controller extensions over my lounge floor

User avatar
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Posts: 2999
Contact:

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#52 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:01 pm

To note, the NFL2k series is the only game I know that uses the "5th button". If you look at your offensive play choices, you'll see an "L" (why "L", I do not know). This is the "Z" button on my 6-button Innovation and Madcatz controller ("C" button is not used).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

User avatar
Roel
Developer
Posts: 186
Contact:

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#53 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Roareye wrote:Either way, the DC controller deals with most things just fine, tho I admit the lack of the C and Z buttons can only be considered a glaring oversight on SEGA's part back in the day - it effectively gave the DC fewer inputs than the Saturn.


It wasn't actually an oversight though, it was deliberate. The Dreamcast's controller data protocol does specify optional C and Z buttons, and even a second analog stick. Sadly SEGA chose not to include them in the final design of the controller.

User avatar
Roareye
BFG-10K
Posts: 213
Contact:

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#54 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:19 pm

I know it was a design choice, but in hindsight it was a poor omission. Interesting that the protocol allows for it tho

User avatar
Anthony817
Shark Patrol
Posts: 2018

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#55 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Roareye wrote:Why has nobody made a modded/custom controller with a second joystick in the opposing position to the D-Pad - this stick would be mapped to imitate the ABXY buttons so it's compatible with FPS titles natively. It might not be as smooth as a modern secondary stick but it's a start.

Either way, the DC controller deals with most things just fine, tho I admit the lack of the C and Z buttons can only be considered a glaring oversight on SEGA's part back in the day - it effectively gave the DC fewer inputs than the Saturn.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of the BT controllers. If they completely lack latency it may be a way to stop me trailing controller extensions over my lounge floor


Roareye, the controller you seek was actually made back around 2010 or so, and a guy from here by the name of Spinksy bought the modded controller and cleaned up the design.

Image

Please excuse the blurry nature of the picture, I actually had to retrieve a cached version in a search engine that was really bad quality. I never backed the pictures up when it was made. But if you want to know what they did, they tapped into the d-pad and copied that. Many FPS games on DC have PC-like controller customization such as in Half-Life and Quake, so you could make it work and keep the face buttons for other uses.

I can't find the video demonstration on YouTube the original creator of the controller made before Spinksy got his hands on it and cleaned up the design. I would actually add C and Z micro switches to the place where LB and RB are on 360/Xbone controllers to get full use of digital L and R.
Image

User avatar
Nico0020
Graffiti Grind
Posts: 315

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#56 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:27 pm

I really hope one day a "modern" Dreamcast controller pops up. Something like that Retro Fighters controller for n64. Dreamcast could really use it. Maybe with the second stick mapped to the twin sticks 2nd input.

User avatar
Roareye
BFG-10K
Posts: 213
Contact:

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#57 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:59 am

Thanks Anthony, that's basically what I was suggesting lol

Does anyone make them or was it a one off?

User avatar
The-Amazing-Mr_V
Sunday Shootout
Posts: 679

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#58 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am

I'm hoping retro fighters does a dreamcast controller. Their n64 controller is awesome!

User avatar
Jenkins
Cracked LCD
Posts: 406
Contact:

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#59 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Roel wrote:
Roareye wrote:Either way, the DC controller deals with most things just fine, tho I admit the lack of the C and Z buttons can only be considered a glaring oversight on SEGA's part back in the day - it effectively gave the DC fewer inputs than the Saturn.


It wasn't actually an oversight though, it was deliberate. The Dreamcast's controller data protocol does specify optional C and Z buttons, and even a second analog stick. Sadly SEGA chose not to include them in the final design of the controller.


The official twin stick controller comes in my mind. But this one only emulates the stick/d-pad?

User avatar
The-Amazing-Mr_V
Sunday Shootout
Posts: 679

Re: Retrobit sega partnership. New Dreamcast/ Sega hardware- peripherals.

Post#60 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:30 pm

So does a twin stick controller worth with quake 3 and such?

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users