New Chinese Dreamcast console shells being produced

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

New Chinese Dreamcast console shells being produced

Post#1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:41 pm

So this was brought to my attention on reddit the other day, but I didn't think much about it until I took another look. But these are all new, and even have a metal Dreamcast logo, as well as Sega logo on the front. It comes with sheets of stickers too apparently to let you put the correct sticker for your region and revision and model on the bottom side of the console. It is about $76 USD. So far they seem to only be available to the west from Australia on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Dreamcast ... SwPRFc8S5t

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: New Chinese Dreamcast console shells being produced

Post#2 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:22 am

wow. really great to see another version of these. the shell prices online had skyrocketed over the years

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 am

Well, these are still a bit pricey at $76 USD plus at least shipping to me here in Texas calculated to about $22 shipping, so still looking at close to $100 to get this. Hopefully we find the source of these at Chinese sites like Alibaba, but looking there none show up. I also hope they do other versions, like either a fully black one, or smoke grey transparent. The good thing abut transparent ones though is that if you pain just the inside with a thin almost transparent layer of paint, you can pretty much make any color you want. I seen those really awesome Crystal Xbox systems painted like that on the inside and man did it look amazing!

I am having trouble finding the Xbox mood I saw years ago, but here is one done with a clear Gameboy. So you can get an idea of how it would look when painted from the inside.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Just a little update. On my sister thread to this I created over at ObscureGamers, a user there mentioned he messaged the seller of the Aussie eBay auction page.

https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/n ... #post-4571

'They are quite nice but I want more color options. I contacted the seller of the listing above and she said that they are making a second color (Translucent grey), which will be available in 2-3 weeks. If the 2nd color sale well like the translucent clear, they will make many more colors. I'm really looking forward to that."

So it seems more colors are coming, and it is dependent on how well these grey translucent ones do. Sounds more Smoke grey to me, like my official controller color here.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#5 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 pm

I really like the clear shell it would go great with the skeleton clear controllers that I have..but the ocd in me wishes that it had the authentic Windows CE logo on the front. If it did I would probably get one for the heck of it. Anyone feel the same?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:15 pm

I definitely can relate on missing the Windows CE decal on the front. But, I am pretty sure you can pay a company to print some out for you that are the correct size.

You could also choose which variant of the Windows CE sticker you would want.

Or...

Also a colored logo like on the license screen of several WinCE games would be cool on front of these shells.

Anyways, one guy on the sister thread to this one at ObscureGamers ordered 4 of them, and he was shown an early version of the translucent grey one.

They took the picture before they had the SEGA logo added on it, but it will be added to them all before they are sold.

Roel
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:29 am

OGDCFAN99 wrote:I really like the clear shell it would go great with the skeleton clear controllers that I have..but the ocd in me wishes that it had the authentic Windows CE logo on the front. If it did I would probably get one for the heck of it. Anyone feel the same?

Not me. The Windows CE logo has always annoyed me. I'd almost be tempted to get one of these shells just to be rid of that logo. :lol:

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 am

Roel wrote:
OGDCFAN99 wrote:I really like the clear shell it would go great with the skeleton clear controllers that I have..but the ocd in me wishes that it had the authentic Windows CE logo on the front. If it did I would probably get one for the heck of it. Anyone feel the same?

Not me. The Windows CE logo has always annoyed me. I'd almost be tempted to get one of these shells just to be rid of that logo. :lol:

I never really understood why they put that logo on the console to begin with.

I understand putting it on the box due to a contractual agreement or something with Microsoft, but on the console itself it makes no sense. For the consumer/buyer that's a completely pointless and unnecessary information as he can't do anything with it or put it to any use. It's not like the DVD or Compact Disc logo on the PS2 for example, which told the consumer "Oh, I can play DVD movies and music CDs on this.".

The only 'real' reason I can think of is trying to boast "Look at us, Microsoft is supporting us!", or Microsoft deliberately asked for it to be displayed on the console.

Roel
Developer

Post#9 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am

Tarnish wrote:The only 'real' reason I can think of is trying to boast "Look at us, Microsoft is supporting us!", or Microsoft deliberately asked for it to be displayed on the console.

I'm pretty sure it was contractually mandated by Microsoft. Such clauses are very common. SEGA was already an established name in gaming, getting "support" from Microsoft (which they didn't, in fact I would say MS was already busy stabbing SEGA in the back) would not have been so boastworthy.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:00 am

Roel wrote:SEGA was already an established name in gaming, getting "support" from Microsoft (which they didn't, in fact I would say MS was already busy stabbing SEGA in the back) would not have been so boastworthy.

While that's true, after the colossal failure that was the Saturn, maybe SEGA was so desperate they thought having another big name right on the front of their next console would increase consumer faith in them. Hard to tell what they were thinking.

But yeah, it being a contractual thing seems more likely, the same way Nintendo did with the ATI logo on the Gaemcube.