Dreamcast Happy 20th Birthday Thread (North America)

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Impulse
Admin

Dreamcast Happy 20th Birthday Thread (North America)

Post#1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Hey guys, the infamous 9/9 is upon us. The Dreamcast is 2 decades old, even more in Japan. Around this time of year I reminisce about what made me buy a Dreamcast, what first hooked me for life :lol: . This was a time when video game marketing was incredibly cringey (still can be, see Nintendo Direct) and the WWW was barely into most American households... what sold me on the Dreamcast at 11 years old was a VHS promotional tape from Gameshark! Thankfully someone recorded it and uploaded to youtube. I still have the tape all the years later for some reason. How ironic that it came bundled with a PS1 Gameshark (iirc)

To celebrate, the very talented artist zomziekitten created a Sonic/Dreamcast 20th birthday commission for us. If anyone would like a print/poster she asking only $5. Shipping tbd.

Paypal: kittengobang@gmail.com
Venmo: sarahmus92

So what hooked you guys? What was it like the first time you discovered the Dreamcast?

dctalk_sonicadventure_live_from_tokyo-min.jpg
-Impulse

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Happy 20th Birthday Thread (North America)

Post#2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Impulse wrote:Hey guys, the infamous 9/9 is upon us. The Dreamcast is 2 decades old, even more in Japan. Around this time of year I reminisce about what made me buy a Dreamcast, what first hooked me for life :lol: . This was a time when video game marketing was incredibly cringey (still can be, see Nintendo Direct) and the WWW was barely into most American households... what sold me on the Dreamcast at 11 years old was a VHS promotional tape from Gameshark! Thankfully someone recorded it and uploaded to youtube. I still have the tape all the years later for some reason. How ironic that it came bundled with a PS1 Gameshark (iirc)

To celebrate, the very talented artist zomziekitten created a Sonic/Dreamcast 20th birthday commission for us. If anyone would like a print/poster she asking only $5. Shipping tbd.

Paypal: kittengobang@gmail.com
Venmo: sarahmus92

So what hooked you guys? What was it like the first time you discovered the Dreamcast?

dctalk_sonicadventure_live_from_tokyo-min.jpg

I actually own that fuse news tape! I'll have to dig it out of my closet to show you guys. I also own the toys r us dreamcast special magazine.

I remember first seeing the dreamcast on Gamespot tv. First played one at a toysrus. Me and my brother bought vmu"s first before owning the system lol. We downloaded Chao Adventure to play until we were able to save up + trade in our nintendo systems to get a dreamcast about a month or so later. My brother still has our childhood dreamcast, saturn and genesis to this day! All still work and have never been modified or even taken apart. First game I played online was chu chu rocket. Also got to participate in a lot of Sonic Adventure contests back in the day.

Ripfire
stalker

Post#3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Last edited by Ripfire on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#4 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Can't believe it has been almost 20 years!!! I went to the Game Realms in Burbank, CA yesterday to celebrate with some hard-core Dreamcast fans. Was a neat scene, meet a guy Eddie that pretty much hosted the event and had an awesome Dreamcast collection of game systems, posters, and memorabilia. It was like going back to 9/9/99 :D

BKDCRCKR
lithium

Post#5 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I took off work tomorrow, no bullshit.

Happy Birthday Dreamcast.

Impulse
Admin

Post#6 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:45 am

Xiden wrote:I actually own that fuse news tape! I'll have to dig it out of my closet to show you guys. I also own the toys r us dreamcast special magazine.

Nice! Do you remember where you got it? I swear it came packaged with GameShark or it was direct from eb games.
-Impulse

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:02 am

I first saw and played Sonic Adventure in a Good Guys store, but I wasn't able to actually get a Dreamcast until a few years later, at which point I picked up Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur at Electronics Boutique. It's amazing how well some of the Dreamcast's games have aged. Dead or Alive 2 looks relatively the same as the DoA games of today...
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#8 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 am

100% agree with you Aleron Ives. While people say I am into "retro" gaming, for some reason the Dreamcast just doesn't feel like that. Most of the games I play on it, it's crazy to think that they are nearly 20 years old :o .

Aleron Ives wrote:It's amazing how well some of the Dreamcast's games have aged. Dead or Alive 2 looks relatively the same as the DoA games of today...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 am

Happy 9/9/19 guys! Made a video to celebrate the occasion. :-)

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dromdnb
Anarki

Post#10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Happy 9/9/19 guys! Made a video to celebrate the occasion. :-)

Awesome Video PC! Had so many good memories in the past, now and hopefully in the future with this little lovely machine...
Happy Birthday Dreamcast!
it's still thinking...