Dee Dee Planet Beta Released!

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Dee Dee Planet Beta Released!

Post#41 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am

DarkSynbios wrote:I do like to see a cdi version of 99 mins disc. :)

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy 99min CD-Rs?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#42 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:44 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:

They are harder to find these days. I have about 75 or so left that I no longer need. If you are interested in them shoot me a PM.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#43 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:50 am

Nico0020 wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:

They are harder to find these days. I have about 75 or so left that I no longer need. If you are interested in them shoot me a PM.

Thanx! I shall do so.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#44 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:34 pm

me too 8-)

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#45 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:02 am

hex edit the lba for these bins: 1st_read.bin, 2dp.bin, maigo.bin, sg_dpldr.bin
(search for cd00 8 spots over from left to 5c 2e or 6e b0)
next binhack ip.bin and 1st read.bin to 11702 if used 5c 2e to 45000 if used 6e b0

2dp, sg_dpldr are for web browser

*when you create the iso be sure to use a sort.txt (you can use the same sort list from the .gdi)

downsample the .sfd files.
(in movie folder .sfd takes up 678mb of space, so you could cut this down to 400mb or less and not sacrifice video quality that much)

next use the same method that was used for soul calibur since dee dee planet uses similar audio files. at least this is what i think?
(in sound folder .P04 for dee dee planet (left and right) , .P16 for soul calibur (left and right) )

Code: Select all

CNN notes about soul calibur audio mod:
Stereo -> Mono
to get it to fit on the disk, thru a slightly original method. SC has 2 raw pcm files for each background track, a left and a right one. The 2 were merged, and named according to the left channel. Then the right
channel was replaced by a 0 byte file  (our paranoid cracker, to prevent any trouble from any file references he probably didnt miss) and then the 1st_read.bin patched with a hex editor to change all references from the right channel to the left channel. The result? More than enough space to selfboot and put in a dummy file for faster loading, without losing any movies and pleasantly enough increasing sound quality.

Code: Select all

DCRES notes about soul calibur audio mod:
Left and right channel of music are on separated files in this game. In CD-R, Dreamcast can't read the data fast enough so music plays with terrible pauses. That was the main failure on first releases of this game. Well, I thought that maybe if I force audio data to end of the disc (where Dreamcast reads faster) the game could stream data fast enough. Pauses got a little better, but they were still there, annoying as always. So I had to use a trick I read around on internet. Some smart person had the idea of changing references of right channel file to left channel. So game would play both channels using the same file. It means that streaming from the same file, reading speed would be enough. Pretty clever, right? The problem about this "fix", beside making music mono, is that people usually delete right channel references (deleting its files), and replace for left channel. It means that audio of left channel is played on both speakers. It's not a true mono process because you cut whole right channel away, what makes sound weird. For example, imagine a simple stereo sound of 20 seconds, with 2 drums. First drum plays 10 seconds, and its sound comes only on left speaker. Second drum plays the last 10 seconds, and its sound comes only on right speaker. Okay, now imagine that we use this "fix" process on this sound, making right speaker plays left speaker sound, and ripping right speaker data. Did we monoized the sound correctly? See, in first 10 seconds, you'll hear first drum on both speakers. In last 10 seconds, you'll hear a complete silence, because it was the sound of the second drum that played only on right channel, and we ripped it. So what I did in Soul Calibur? I used this "fix", but instead of keeping left channel file and deleting right channel, I remade the left channel. For that I reconstructed the stereo sound using both files, and used a real monoizing process. Quality of music must be better than other releases, because music has no right speaker data loss. And yes, it's still mono, too bad, but there was no way to keep it stereo. Last comment, this process was only made on the 16 bits sounds. The lower bitrate sounds were kept intact, with their references, what make them stereo. I didn't changed them because I imagined they could be streamed fast enough (lower bitrate), and well, I noticed no problem with that so I think I was right. In fact, there is a little, very little sound bug that might come from this. When you enter mission screen, the sound of menu popping up plays more than once. But it only happens when you enter mission screen, and it's not annoying anyway, so you'll have to live with that.

the .sfd alone could be downsampled and you could skip the audio mod and a cdi could be made to fit 80min cdr.
idk its whatever you want to do with it...

*i have no plans to make a .cdi (i leave betas, protos to the ppl who archive dc isos i.e dumpcast, tosec, dcemulation, whatever the different groups names are ???? that typically deal with betas etc.)
*these ppl have a specific way of doing things
*besides having several different isos floating around only muddies the waters.
Last edited by SMiTH on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#46 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:35 am

Like it was said this game can easily be fitted to a 80 min CD r while leaving audio tracks intact. Ending intro and a third video are the biggest ones while the rest of the unlockable videos are around 7 mb. It's just the matter of someone taking the time to go through each one and downsample.

I made my own 80 min copy by lazily overriding the ending, intro and the other largest video with one of the 7mb video while leaving one or two tracks of music out. Of course I don't plan to share it since it was just a quick attempt to have something burnable quickly without having to bother with downsampling.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#47 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 am

not needed..
Last edited by SMiTH on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Antares
shadow

Post#48 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:59 am

Optimized GDI with cover for SD card/HDD + Dreamshell (Standard Settings).
(Tested with a 256GB SanDisk Ultra card + Dreamshell 4 RC4 + Serial SD Card Reader).

https://mega.nz/file/jmpTja4Z#yJvF1Ly2O ... MRkEtevf9Y

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#49 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:57 am

I was not sure it run also with sdcard, it's very nice to add the cover. I grab it preciously.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#50 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 am

so it is wince with cdda. :) (use bincon) good luck getting the audio tracks to play in correct order.. <-- its katana, not wince :)
i was able to get the 5 larger sfd from 240mb to 96mb in size. (downsample video and audio)
also mod the voice.afs file in DPETC folder to less than 1mb.
there are many A6 00 00 00 & 6E B0 00 00 in the 1st_read.

when the cdi is made i'm sure all of the 65 sfd files will be downsampled, this way the cdda (audio tracks) could still be added to fit an 80min cdr.
maybe they will go the route of the soul calibur mod on the audio files but it might not be needed.

just posting info for the hell of it.
idk.

i could be wrong about all of this, either way lmk what you have found?
Last edited by SMiTH on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.