Wireless StrikerDC potentially coming out by end of July

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

fraggle200
chill

Re: Wireless StrikerDC potentially coming out by end of July

Post#11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Few comments about triggers breaking on these, I've not had that issue on mine... yet. I will agree that with a rumble pack they're a bit off balance. Speaking of triggers breaking, both my orig Jpn launch controllers have busted triggers. I'm sure I read something years ago about the plastic being brittle on the launch triggers so the legs at the side just go after a while.

DarkVampire295
photon blast

Post#12 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:00 pm

I had a strikerDC the triggers broke I ended up having to use the bumper buttons above it until I said enough of this and bought a used official sega controller and said well atleast I can play without error plus the thumbstick was too loose on it I wasn't happy with it at all
Twitter @WayneBurke32

Best of luck, DV

colgate
Doom

Post#13 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:35 am

fraggle200 wrote:Few comments about triggers breaking on these, I've not had that issue on mine... yet. I will agree that with a rumble pack they're a bit off balance. Speaking of triggers breaking, both my orig Jpn launch controllers have busted triggers. I'm sure I read something years ago about the plastic being brittle on the launch triggers so the legs at the side just go after a while.
True story, I still have my original Jp controllers with the broken triggers.

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#14 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:41 pm

I would love a legit wireless pad that costs less than the Dream Conn+ (although I would still pay for that one too, I've always loved that guy's work, just have not gotten one yet) I'm curious if anyone has ever used one of those old Doc's Wireless controllers?

docs.jpg

Markdanni123
minority

Post#15 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:28 am

Anymore news on this yet?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#16 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:54 am

Unless they adds a second dual stick with genuine MAPLE dual stick function, it's cheaper and more reliable to buy a Wingman SD. Especially with the history of breaks this product has.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:45 pm

So looks like those rumors of a wireless version for DC are not so far fetched now. So they finally did a dual analog wireless controller, but for PSX and PS2. I bet they could do this for Dreamcast. Change up the button icons and swap the position of the left stick and we got a winner.

I am still most wanting the new revamped officially licensed Retro-Bit controller with 6 face buttons, PS4 style thumbstick as well as Saturn style 8-Way D-Pad.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#18 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:57 pm

I'd much rather have the Brook Wingman with an Xbox controller.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#19 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:10 pm

Yeah, Wingman works great. Arcade stick support is really nice to have.

I really doubt there is enough market for a dual analog Dreamcast pad. Even these posts about it die quick with few people interested. Would be nice, but probably a pipe dream.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#20 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:31 am

Motoracer5 wrote:Yeah, Wingman works great. Arcade stick support is really nice to have.

I really doubt there is enough market for a dual analog Dreamcast pad. Even these posts about it die quick with few people interested. Would be nice, but probably a pipe dream.

They die out because it's not solvable without manufacturing a distribution access - which is beyond the vast majority of people here. The wish never dies out, especially from those who develop indie titles. Plus the instant it is available you'll start seeing games patched to utilise it as that is something we can distribute quite quickly and easily. But building a physical game pad and launching it in mass quantities isn't something so easily done.

A homebrew solution exists by megavolt85, but it requires sourcing parts and the skill to assemble and code the thing yourself, which is above most of our capabilities (not all, obviously). If that was available in a readily accessible form factor it would also fly off the shelves. I don't see a market for the StrikerDC and the other ilk of non-wireless DC pads. The official pad is actually very very good, and none of these new third party pads solve any if the DC pad's failings. Most complain not just of a lacking genuine dual stick functionality, but the lack of CZ buttons next to ABXY, even if they were just the LR triggers mapped there, for fighting games.

It perplexes me why these companies make pads (and also why they sell) when they bring zero benefits to the table. A wireless capability is nice, but the Wingman SD gives that anyway, so a bespoke pad needs to offer something worth the purchase price. True dual stick functionality would be one such selling point. Again, as soon as it's available and in use then the pads that support it will become the default controllers in the community.