New prototype dc games and unreleased games found!!

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

New prototype dc games and unreleased games found!!

Post#1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:10 am

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... uncovered/

Seems a large lot had been found with more on the way. What unreleased games might be in it?

bingobongo
minority

Re: New prototype dc games and unreleased games found!!

Post#2 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 am

The only unreleased game we hadn't seen before (in some shape of form) is Shanghai Dynasty. Really glad to see this released and confirmed as a cancelled game because, up to this point, all we knew is that there was a GDR of the game - but it could have been a Japanese release for all we knew. It was first spotted (for sale) over on Assemblergames probably over a decade ago now iirc.

Another mystery finally solved.

Shanghai Dynasty aside, I spent all morning going through the releases and it's a treasure trove of betas - so many games in there have debug, early versions, etc - far more than you'd expect. It really is an incredible feat and many (many) thanks to all those who made it possible.

And that's just the Dreamcast stuff - the XBOX releases are another massive treasure trove of unreleased and early versions of games.

The one problem I've had so far is that there may be something wrong with the uploads - I'm getting 99.9% on a few of these downloads now. A couple I was able to uncheck the extra files and get the 100% rar file - but not all. Anyone know what's going on there?

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#3 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:46 am

Glad someone checked through the releases. Might be more to come later as the article indicates.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm

I looked through the images on the Vigilante 8: Second offense beta dated some 4 months before official release. Car models and textures are significantly different in some places. Tow Truck textures look identical to a 1962 Chevy C-10 Pickup truck, while the Marathon looks like an actual AMC Pacer in the front. Other vehicles have similar stuff. Hoping that these beta vehicles could be modded into the retail version of the game as well as levels if there are any differences there. But overall V8 fan will have a field day with this release!

https://hiddenpalace.org/Vigilante_8:_S ... _prototype)

Here is an old look at beta content sourced from early released video footage and images from during development back in the day which some of this shows how different it was.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#5 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:01 pm

English localized Shanghai Dynasty. Nice! Does anyone know if the test drive cycles proto is the same from fundraiser?