The US unreleased version of Shenmue 2 Dreamcast, V0.991, is finally available (Sep 18, 2001 prototype)

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Loloretro
chill

The US unreleased version of Shenmue 2 Dreamcast, V0.991, is finally available (Sep 18, 2001 prototype)

Post#1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:04 pm

Two debug menu are present. They allow many things like teleporting to the place of our choice or choosing the scene to see.

Some differences are present.The translation from Japanese to English is not finished.

Shenmue is much more than a game, it's one of those rare gems that contribute to take players to a new stage of video games. For the first time, the player was immersed in a universe that seemed to be parallel to ours.

I loved exploring this prototype version, especially for a magical title like Shenmue.

We want Shenmue 4 !!!

Today, we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the European release of Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast. I pay tribute to this game with this release.

Americans finally get the localization of Shenmue 2, 20 years later.

The article below will explain in detail how to use the debug menu, you will find videos (map test, debug etc) and the history of the development of Shenmue :

https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-pr ... type-debug

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: The US unreleased version of Shenmue 2 Dreamcast, V0.991, is finally available (Sep 18, 2001 prototype)

Post#2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Do you have seen any files in more or different in this iso ?
I watched your live in twitch, very interesting. I liked to run in the desert when Xuying and his brother were separate.

I'm asking to myself how you get this new jewel ? As many of you have find !
Well done again dear loloretro and thank you.

Loloretro
chill

Re: The US unreleased version of Shenmue 2 Dreamcast, V0.991, is finally available (Sep 18, 2001 prototype)

Post#3 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am

There are some textures errors (translation) otherwise nothing special. There are, I think, some animations not used

As this is a localization build, you can't expect to find new content.

This release allowed me to make a live twitch, it was nice ha ha ha.

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#4 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 am

Interesting to read the final build was made in July 2001. Crying out to see the Boat Chapter and Bailu Village both was totally completed by then. Now just the Ark Of The Covenant off the world on where those are buried. Great to know the American version finally existed this debug beta version glad its here. Shenmue 2 is beautiful I truly wished Shenmue 3 by AM2 was made on the console oh my what should had been.

Loloretro
chill

Post#5 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:57 am

I'm trying to find out at what point in the development of Shenmue they removed this passage.

I have doubts that GD-R were burned with this unpublished content. I will see something to find on a dev kit.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#6 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 am

Sweet piece of gaming history but if memory serves isnt the EU version 60hz and English voice?

Wouldn't this be similar to that, probably just rougher around the edges in random places?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:28 am

PAL/EU is always going to favor 50hz as a mass amount of displays then just did 50, but yes I think only exclusively by VGA video signal you'll always rock 60

They never English dubbed Shenmue 2, but as to Xbox I don't know memory fuzzy

anti
lithium

Post#8 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Shenmue 2 on Xbox was dubbed in English.

Cool release! I can’t wait to try it over Thanksgiving break!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#9 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:29 pm

I have the Shenmue 2 English speech version that someone did. They ripped the Dreamcast PAL version audio and replaced it with the NTSC/U Xbox English speech audio.

Works great. I will not say to perfection as there were size limitations to overcome like GD-ROM versus CD-R . As far as I am concerned, it is a total win!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#10 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:30 am

it comes from shenmue dojo forum, they have taken the audio from xbox to dreamcast.

I did the same for shenmue II translated by shenmuemaster french team and a version with 16/9 hex patch made by @espirral. You can find them on darius forum.

All I want to say is this english speech version is very cool, the sound is very good.