Bernie Stolar Passes Away

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Bernie Stolar Passes Away

Post#1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:32 am

Sad news today guys. Bernie Stolar, CEO of Sega of America during the Dreamcast launch has passed away at age 75. :(

"I consider it an honour that a product I helped create still has a loyal fanbase to this day. Thank you for keeping the 'Dream' alive." - Bernie Stolar - 2018 via DCJY interview

bernie.png
bernie.png (228.72 KiB) Viewed 5423 times

https://venturebeat.com/2022/06/25/gami ... sses-away/
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: Bernie Stolar Passes Away

Post#2 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:35 am

Sad. I'm still mad that he killed the Saturn early. But glad he helped put out the Dreamcast. RIP Bernie Stolar.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:38 am

Bernie was extremely passionate about the Dreamcast. He really embraced it and cared about being a part of something better and different. It really wasn't all about the money with him. He fought Sega Japan over what the Dreamcast should do and championed for what us gamers would want out of a console. He was so energetic and quite an engaging and intellectual individual with a broad dynamic. He had to battle that financial black hole called the Saturn he inherited when joining Sega. Years after he wasn't with Sega, he would find a way to bring up the Dreamcast in non-Dreamcast related interviews and events, even when he worked with Microsoft and EA. When most of Sega buried the Dreamcast as if it never existed, Bernie would always let everyone know that history. Try finding any other high level corporate individual who actually cares about anything other than money.

He will be missed.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:41 pm

Sad day indeed. He wasn't that old, all things considered. He'll always be remembered!

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#5 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:30 pm

RIP Bernie :(

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:45 pm

Bernie Stolar was pivitol to Dreamcasts success. His team put together the best launch in US history when Dreamcast debut in 9.9.99. I always wondered how things would of panned out if Bernie was still in charge instead of Peter Moore.

In my opinion, the one common denominator with Sega's struggles has been Sega of Japan. They never understood markets outside of Japan, which is understandable, but always became a massive barrier for any CEO hired for Sega of America. The times they let SoA guide the ship they were super successful, when SoJ took control they tanked each time. Its an ongoing problem even today.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:53 pm

He was an Incredible world changing man. He will be remembered for decades to come. R.I.P. Mr. Bernie Stolar

GooseGrande
shadow

Post#8 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:56 am

R.I.P. Bernie

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#9 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:24 am

R.I.P. Bernie...

Keep dreaming, wherever you are...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Zoarb
lithium

Post#10 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:01 am

:(
Life is a gamble.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Don't put all your chips on red.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

But above all, make sure you
HAVE FUN

Return to “News”