Release of a prototype for the Unreleased Dreamcast version of Worms Pinball, when the Dreamcast makes Tilt!

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Release of a prototype for the Unreleased Dreamcast version of Worms Pinball, when the Dreamcast makes Tilt!

Post#21 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:57 am

unfortunately I have no way to burn this image to disk, but I checked it on the emulator and through gdemu

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Release of a prototype for the Unreleased Dreamcast version of Worms Pinball, when the Dreamcast makes Tilt!

Post#23 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:50 pm

megavolt85 wrote:unfortunately I have no way to burn this image to disk, but I checked it on the emulator and through gdemu

I appreciate all you have done for the community. To be clear, I am not asking you to "fix" it, I was just reporting my results...it was fun to hear the audio tracks. All respects, and once again, thanx for all you have done for us.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#24 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:unfortunately I have no way to burn this image to disk, but I checked it on the emulator and through gdemu

I appreciate all you have done for the community. To be clear, I am not asking you to "fix" it, I was just reporting my results...it was fun to hear the audio tracks. All respects, and once again, thanx for all you have done for us.

I worked on this week before this release the cdda cdi i made works on redream music and i all I then burned it on a cdr the music does not work on Hardware ...

Check the data below..

CDI working with music on redream
video 10 days ago..
https://streamable.com/uerccn
Attachments
bandicam 2023-02-14 21-22-08-331.jpg

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#25 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:10 pm

I also appreciate all you have done, Ian. I still play Intellimess, btw. Regardless, I used DiscJuggler to burn the CDI image onto the CD-R disc which gave me the 39 audio tracks. I think it is great that the gdi image exists which most Dreamcast users are wisely using currently.

I use 100% real Dreamcast hardware just to note and I realize that I am one of the last of the dinosaurs of the community...lol.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#26 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:43 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:I also appreciate all you have done, Ian. I still play Intellimess, btw. Regardless, I used DiscJuggler to burn the CDI image onto the CD-R disc which gave me the 39 audio tracks. I think it is great that the gdi image exists which most Dreamcast users are wisely using currently.

I use 100% real Dreamcast hardware just to note and I realize that I am one of the last of the dinosaurs of the community...lol.

I tried every thing and the music would not work.. When i said to Loloretro to contact megavolt if he cant do it no one can..Banged my head on the wall patching it and trying every thing which got other games WINCE to work with CDDA still nothing on Hardware with a cdr or cdi..

There is 42 tracks of CDDA ..

Fact I'm still trying to fix it lol

pitito
dark night

Post#27 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:48 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:I also appreciate all you have done, Ian. I still play Intellimess, btw. Regardless, I used DiscJuggler to burn the CDI image onto the CD-R disc which gave me the 39 audio tracks. I think it is great that the gdi image exists which most Dreamcast users are wisely using currently.

I tried every thing and the music would not work.. When i said to Loloretro to contact megavolt if he cant do it no one can..Banged my head on the wall patching it and trying every thing which got other games WINCE to work with CDDA still nothing on Hardware with a cdr or cdi..

I have been investigating the cdda of this game to see where the problem can come from in CDI versions.
What I have been able to deduce is that the cdda problem in this game is identical to the one that occurs in others such as Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2, that in CDI versions the game behaves as if the cdda did not exist, since in Ram shows no signs of releasing the tracks.
The fix I released for the IP.BIN hacked with binhack for WINCE games only seems to work for those games where only the first track is played over and over again.
I have recently released another one for the ARMADA game, which lost the summary when pausing and restarting the game, since in this game, having a single track of more than 60 minutes, it was necessary to do so, so as not to reset the cdda every time you paused or you entered a station.
Going back to Worms Pinball, I have done different tests to try to locate where the problem could come from and these are the results.
Creating CDI with original (not hacked) IP.BIN (this can only be executed in dmul), cdda does not work, this rules out that it is the hacked IP.BIN.
I have created a new 0winceos from the WCDreamcast SDK, with the original assets from the wince folder of the Worms Pinball game.
The game runs smoothly but still doesn't have CDDA.

I have replaced 0winceos and all the assets in the wince folder of the game with those of the Worms World Party game which the cdda works on, and renamed the .EXE with the same name as in this game.
The game also runs smoothly, but the cdda still doesn't work.

So surely the problem can come from the PINBALL.EXE file

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#28 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:50 pm

pitito wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

I have been investigating the cdda of this game to see where the problem can come from in CDI versions.
What I have been able to deduce is that the cdda problem in this game is identical to the one that occurs in others such as Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2, that in CDI versions the game behaves as if the cdda did not exist, since in Ram shows no signs of releasing the tracks.
The fix I released for the IP.BIN hacked with binhack for WINCE games only seems to work for those games where only the first track is played over and over again.
I have recently released another one for the ARMADA game, which lost the summary when pausing and restarting the game, since in this game, having a single track of more than 60 minutes, it was necessary to do so, so as not to reset the cdda every time you paused or you entered a station.
Going back to Worms Pinball, I have done different tests to try to locate where the problem could come from and these are the results.
Creating CDI with original (not hacked) IP.BIN (this can only be executed in dmul), cdda does not work, this rules out that it is the hacked IP.BIN.
I have created a new 0winceos from the WCDreamcast SDK, with the original assets from the wince folder of the Worms Pinball game.
The game runs smoothly but still doesn't have CDDA.

I have replaced 0winceos and all the assets in the wince folder of the game with those of the Worms World Party game which the cdda works on, and renamed the .EXE with the same name as in this game.
The game also runs smoothly, but the cdda still doesn't work.

So surely the problem can come from the PINBALL.EXE file

I can make a cdi of it with cdda that works perfect on redream but no music on demul if that helps and that's just strange.. So the cdda works on redream dev branch.. Not hardware not demul .. But it works and all music tracks play..

pitito
dark night

Post#29 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:30 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
I can make a cdi of it with cdda that works perfect on redream but no music on demul if that helps and that's just strange.. So the cdda works on redream dev branch.. Not hardware not demul .. But it works and all music tracks play..

Maybe redream is not very accurate about hardware or other emulators and misses some things.
Keep in mind that these games are mere pc ports, and surely bring legacy features.
As far as I remember the pc copy versions of Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2, the CDDA didn't work either.
I remember that there was a fix for it in which the tracks had to be converted to .wav or .mp3 (I don't remember) and patch the executable.

From what I discovered in the Armada game, in the CDI version, the CDDA summary did not work, this was because a function was activated in that version, and it reset the CDDA when pausing, which did not happen in GDI.
I managed to find in RAM where the pause and summary values of the cdda were written, and thereby trace the function of the CDDA.
I was deactivating functions that were associated with the CDDA function, until one of them when deactivating it began to make the summary work somewhat, then I made adjustments to another value that was close and it was practically identical to GDI. (When you first pause, the first summary is about 15 seconds ago)
These are the changes I made to ARMADA.EXE
Offset
0x1A348 change to 0900
0x1A360 change to 0900
0x1A540 change to 7F70

For this reason I think that a function is activated in CDI that completely breaks CDDA.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#30 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:57 pm

Is it possible that what we are seeing is copy protection when running under the MIL-CD format?

Is it possible the CDI version could be working by emulation because the emulator can dynamically recompile the code?
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski