Release of a prototype for the Unreleased Dreamcast version of Worms Pinball, when the Dreamcast makes Tilt!

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pitito
dark night

Re: Release of a prototype for the Unreleased Dreamcast version of Worms Pinball, when the Dreamcast makes Tilt!

Post#31 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:37 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Is it possible that what we are seeing is copy protection when running under the MIL-CD format?

Is it possible it could be working by emulation because the emulator can dynamically recompile the code?

By power, it is possible.
Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2, their PC copy versions needed a patch to play the CDDA through wav or mp3 files. And possibly that cdda protection was passed down to Dreamcast.
The same thing could have happened in this one...

@Sizious managed to make progress on something similar for the Dreamcast, but I haven't heard from him in a long time.
Perhaps it is the most indicated for this.

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Release of a prototype for the Unreleased Dreamcast version of Worms Pinball, when the Dreamcast makes Tilt!

Post#32 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:22 pm

For preservation purposes:

Worms Pinball (Prototype) OST (MP3)

Download (51.31MB):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/b8ndtxka ... ST.7z/file
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#33 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:23 pm

This is maybe the last working unreleased game that we will see. This one is a good game. I will download the CDI and see if I can burn the one I saw referenced last (if it is newer than the one I downloaded and burned).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#34 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:40 pm

Too bad the audio cannot be ripped and replaced like Shenmue 2 (from Xbox) and Space Channel 5, Part 2 (from PS2). Yes, I realize this is a different situation and it cannot be done.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#35 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:58 am

Things you have tried so far:

different WINCE files
different ip bins
Patched exe

Have you tried burning one audio file or a few audio files first session (instead of all of them) ,
burn a test disk to get start of 2nd session (audio track/s 1st then any file 2nd) view start sector of 2nd session.

then edit bins @ start sector 2nd session lba +166? (like dahack, darkfalz cdda patcher)
Use bincon on wince bin and manually hex edit the lba.

Then create a new disk with the one audio track or a few audio tracks and edited lba +166 for bins etc, test it..

I'm sure you have already tried this.

Maybe test cdda using a few audio files first to see if it will even work at all.
Then if nothing works start trying to patch the exe, and anything else you can think of.

streeker
fragger

Post#36 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:15 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:This is maybe the last working unreleased game that we will see. This one is a good game. I will download the CDI and see if I can burn the one I saw referenced last (if it is newer than the one I downloaded and burned).

If there is any demand for it, I could also upload another CDI with the audio tracks removed (since they are not working anyway, so far).

pitito
dark night

Post#37 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:19 am

SMiTH wrote:Things you have tried so far:

different WINCE files
different ip bins
Patched exe

Have you tried burning one audio file or a few audio files first session (instead of all of them) ,
burn a test disk to get start of 2nd session (audio track/s 1st then any file 2nd) view start sector of 2nd session.

then edit bins @ start sector 2nd session lba +166? (like dahack, darkfalz cdda patcher)
Use bincon on wince bin and manually hex edit the lba.

Then create a new disk with the one audio track or a few audio tracks and edited lba +166 for bins etc, test it..

I'm sure you have already tried this.

Maybe test cdda using a few audio files first to see if it will even work at all.
Then if nothing works start trying to patch the exe, and anything else you can think of.

Wince does not need hacks for the binaries, as they do not carry LBA protection.
Bincon is not really a necessary program, this program removes the first 0x800 bytes from 0WINCEOS.BIN, but adds them to the end of the file. (And this is not necessary, since these trailing bytes are also loaded into RAM.) This messes with the original load of RAM, plus you're adding 0x800 more unnecessary bytes to it.
Just remove the 0x800 bytes from the start of the file and hack the IP.BIN.
The result of inserting one or more tracks will be the same... It won't work.
The game does not try to load the tracks from the RAM locations I know of, it acts as if there are no audio tracks.
As I have already mentioned, the same thing happens in Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2.
I only see two possible solutions...
Locate the function that breaks the CDDA (If there is one)
For this, you have to locate the CDDA function and check all the functions to which it is associated.
And locating the function is very difficult.
And the last solution would be to add a new function to load tracks from wav files.
Sizious was working on this a long time ago...

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#38 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:33 am

Tiny Worms Pinball CDI (no BGM). Tested and working with Android Flycast Standalone Dev version Dreamcast emulator when used with these settings: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13906&p=173601#p173601

TINY_WORMS_PINBALL(NO_BGM).7z (39.75MB):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/lujx9mny7zjpjcy/TINY_WORMS_PINBALL%2528NO_BGM%2529.7z/file

Flycast builds:
https://flyinghead.github.io/flycast-builds/
Last edited by MoeFoh on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#39 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:35 pm

pitito wrote:Wince does not need hacks for the binaries, as they do not carry LBA protection.

Then why the hell can't I get a wince binary to boot without editing the lba?

pitito wrote:Bincon is not really a necessary program, this program removes the first 0x800 bytes from 0WINCEOS.BIN, but adds them to the end of the file. (And this is not necessary, since these trailing bytes are also loaded into RAM.) This messes with the original load of RAM, plus you're adding 0x800 more unnecessary bytes to it.

Then why does it even exist?

pitito wrote:I only see two possible solutions...
Locate the function that breaks the CDDA (If there is one)
For this, you have to locate the CDDA function and check all the functions to which it is associated.
And locating the function is very difficult.
And the last solution would be to add a new function to load tracks from wav files.
Sizious was working on this a long time ago...

I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

pitito
dark night

Post#40 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:50 pm

SMiTH wrote:Then why the hell can't I get a wince binary to boot without editing the lba?

Because early versions of binhack do patch it, but it's not really necessary.
You just need to hack IP.BIN.

SMiTH wrote:Then why does it even exist?

In their day they created it, to hack winceos.
But a couple of years ago I discovered that little bug.

A gdi loads the entire 0WINCEOS in ram, minus that 0x800 at the beginning of the file.
Bincon removes that 0x800, but to compensate for the original weight it adds it to the end of the file, but this is a bug, since the latter is also loaded in Ram.

try this way
Open with hex 0winceos and remove 0x800 bytes
Copy the newly edited 0WINCEOS to another folder, and hack it together with the IP.BIN
Delete that 0winceos you have hacked and put the hacked IP.BIN in the root to create the iso.
(You will use the 0winceos not hacked with binhack)
Open IPBIN4WIN and select the hacked IP.bin to check "SEGA OS used" or do it by hexadecimal if you know...
(The value of offset 0x3E must be 30)

Now all you have to do is create the iso as you normally do...
If you did it correctly...
You will see how it works... ;)