Release of a 3GB archive for the game Spirit of Speed 1937/2002 on Dreamcast and PC (Backup from the development studio)

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Loloretro
chill

Release of a 3GB archive for the game Spirit of Speed 1937/2002 on Dreamcast and PC (Backup from the development studio)

Post#1 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:22 am

With permission from the owner of the Spirit of Speed licence, John Jones-Steel, please find you a 3GB archive from the studio Broadsword Interactive containing Game Design or promotional documents, a lot of assets (maybe the one for cancelled tracks), development tools (level editor etc.), source codes and much more...

Many thanks to John Jones-Steele for his generosity.

His development studio: https://west-coast.wales

Please note that the assets cannot be used in any commercial game. The cars in particular were licensed from Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, etc. They could only be used in Spirit of Speed, because they wanted to support a small independent Welsh company!

To download and read below:

https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-pr ... ry-archive

bingobongo
dark night

Re: Release of a 3GB archive for the game Spirit of Speed 1937/2002 on Dreamcast and PC (Backup from the development stu

Post#2 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:16 pm

I admit this is one DC game I know nothing about - I don't even remember playing it at all.

"Let's not even talk about the Dreamcast version which will be destroyed by critics. Sales did not follow with 16,255 copies sold in the US. According to Mike Phelan of Dreamcast Junkyard, only 39 Japanese copies were sold in the land of the rising sun. Why did Acclaim insist on releasing it in Japan?"

Was it really that bad?

I might have to check it out just to see for myself :)

Many thanks - and what a troubled history! You have to feel sorry for the developers after reading that.

Esppiral
Quad Damage

Re: Release of a 3GB archive for the game Spirit of Speed 1937/2002 on Dreamcast and PC (Backup from the development stu

Post#3 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:06 am

Only 2k polígonos on screen? That is too low even for the Sega Saturn lol.

Loloretro
chill

Post#4 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:58 pm

Esppiral wrote:Only 2k polígonos on screen? That is too low even for the Sega Saturn lol.

this is what is written in the documents of the archive unless I am mistaken

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#5 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:55 pm

Holy shit 39 copies!?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:44 pm

I hope people mod the physics of this game to be great. Car mods from later eras would be cool to see like all new modern total conversion.This could end up being highly modifiable.

Loloretro
chill

Post#7 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:52 pm

There are also all the sources (unless I'm mistaken) to rebuild a lot of prototype of SOS 1937. He must also have the assets of the cut circuits

ExegesisVetusta
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:56 pm

Holy crap, I´ve been addicted to this game lately, this is great.

tak2788
undertow

Post#9 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:50 pm

This is one of my favorite games not just for DC but overall. Mostly because of its uniqueness and feel. It has tracks and cars you wont see in other games even today. Thanks for the new info!