Shutokō Battle 2 vs. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 vs. Tokyo Highway Challenge 2

This is place to post your Dreamcast game tips and strategies as well as walkthroughs and codes.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DC-One
rebel

Shutokō Battle 2 vs. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 vs. Tokyo Highway Challenge 2

Post#1 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:00 pm

Hey guys,

which of this versions is the best to play? What do you think? And why?

Does it even matter? :?:

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Re: Shutokō Battle 2 vs. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 vs. Tokyo Highway Challenge 2

Post#2 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:02 am

I always wanted to know the differences between the versions.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#3 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:54 am

I love playing Tokyo highway challenge 2 , use to do that every winter once :)

The only difference i heard about is that in the Xtreme japanese version it is much harder to collect money for upgrades, either you got less money (credits) or the items was more expensive. Apart from that i dont know

DC-One
rebel

Post#4 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:10 am

- license plates [of course]
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 is the first game in the series where the player can personalize their car's license plate when buying a car. The license plates in the Japanese version are Japanese plates, while cars in the North American and European versions have California plates. It may be possible that in the Western versions, having license plates from a Western location would fit with the "Westernization" theme of TXR2. The rival cars in the Western versions have license plate numbers similar to those of the then-current California "Sesquicentennial" license plates, which were issued from 1998-2000. The word "Sesquicentennial" is incorrectly spelled "Cesquicentennial" on the plates.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer Wiki

- cars
This guide is for the US version of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2. The European (Tokyo Highway Challenge 2) and Japanese (Shutokou Battle 2) version may be slightly different. To my knowledge there are six cars found in the US version that the JPN game is missing and one car JPN has that the US doesn't have. Some other difference between the two versions is that the US version is supposedly more refined (it fixes or minimizes some of the problems the JPN version has such as automatic resets, freezing, camera glitches and slowdown). There are couple others differences but this is not the topic of the guide.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 – Performance List

- other differences
The JP has no intro movie. And I once read something about the manufacturers labels on the cars, but I can not find the source anymore. Like that some JP cars have the original label on the car model. Does anybody know?

- remake
Unbenannt.png

This is from a [playable] Tech Demo for Windows. To me it looks like a Tokyo Xtreme Racer Remake. :lol:

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:40 pm

It is a matter of playing them all. It is n excellent racing game, do not remember is it has 2P mode. The last version I played is a Mod version made by a DC fan
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:06 pm

Silly to cut splitscreen! And the amazing TXR1 disc art then damning in 2 how anything even a couple traffic will butcher framerate

I had the AI cruiser get stuck always ramming tunnel middle reverse forward repeat forever loool.. I am dying to reproduce that