The Atomiswave games DOES work on the serial port.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: The Atomiswave games DOES work on the serial port.

Post#31 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:40 pm

soniccd123 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
soniccd123 wrote:Just to say, could not get KOF Neowave to run at my SD adapter, it loads to the title screen and then hangs at a black screen when I press start. Tried with 0x8cfe0000 and 0x8cfe8000, both with the same result. Using the same 4GB SDHC MicroSD of my other post

Did you try the settings i show up there at the time stamp ? in the video

Just tried them, still got the same hang up. I think this may be a problem of the SD Card that i'm using, but thanks anyway!

And you have a 32k cluster size as well ? I have 64gb card not had a problem Cheap wall mart brand also you got the right version of Dreamshell?

Turning fastboot off ?

soniccd123
dark night

Post#32 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
soniccd123 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
Did you try the settings i show up there at the time stamp ? in the video

Just tried them, still got the same hang up. I think this may be a problem of the SD Card that i'm using, but thanks anyway!

And you have a 32k cluster size as well ? I have 64gb card not had a problem Cheap wall mart brand also you got the right version of Dreamshell?

Turning fastboot off ?

Cluster 32k and fastboot off, same behavior

K470r
undertow

Post#33 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Confirmo que el único que no funciona por tarjeta SD es knights of Valour.

Los otros 8 corren perfecto por tarjeta SD.
PRESS START

soniccd123
dark night

Post#34 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:16 pm

K470r wrote:Confirmo que el único que no funciona por tarjeta SD es knights of Valour.

¿Incluso Metal Slug 6?

gelcila
rebel

Post#35 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:22 pm

K470r wrote:Confirmo que el único que no funciona por tarjeta SD es knights of Valour.

Can you tell us what your settings are?
Apenas um amante de jogos antigos...
Obrigado a todos que contribuem para manter a nostalgia. \o/

K470r
undertow

Post#36 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Metal slug 6
Loader 0.6.6

In retrodream loader 1
PRESS START

aldair
Metallic

Post#37 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:06 am

K470r wrote:Metal slug 6
Loader 0.6.6

In retrodream loader 1

Original retrodream has no loader 1 to use on the sd card which is 6.6, where did you download this retrodream?

gelcila
rebel

Post#38 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 am

Hello, guys.
I am old here on the forum, but practically not post nothing.
I have always followed the Dreamcast scene over the years and I am very happy with this event, the Atomiswave games gave new life to Dreamcast.
Congratulations and thank you to megavolt85, yzb, and everyone who made it possible. :D :D :D

soniccd123 wrote:Hello, I am also trying to make the games work through SD Serial while I wait my GDEMU to arrive. Will post detailed information for anyone who find this interesting.

If you can post your exact configurations would be apreciated.

4GB SDHC Class 4 MicroSD card through SD adapter:
Forgot to add: Using RetroDream
  • KOF XI -> Works with 0x8cfe8000, Async 8, Load takes less than 10s
  • Samurai Spirits -> Works with 0x8cfe8000, Async 8, Load takes less than 10s
  • Faster Than Speed -> Works with 0x8cfe8000, Async 8, Load takes less than 10s
  • Knights of Valor -> Does not load, just black screen, tested 0x8c004000, 0x8cfe8000 and 0x8cfe0000, all Async 8.
  • NeoGeo Battle Colliseum -> Does not load, just black screen, tested 0x8c004000, 0x8cfe8000 and 0x8cfe0000, all Async 8.
  • Metal Slug 6 -> 0x8cfe8000 with Async 8 or 16 hangs at "now loading"; 0x8cfe0000 and Async 8 also hangs at "now loading"
  • UPDATE Dolphin Blue WORKS!!! -> Works with 0x8cfe8000, Async 8, Load takes around 20s
  • Maximum Speed -> Does not load, just black screen, tested 0x8c004000, 0x8cfe8000 and 0x8cfe0000, all Async 8.

I also have a 16GB SDHC Class 10 MicroSD that loads KOF XI and Samurai sometimes, but most time it does not. Other Atomiswave games does not work at all. Regular games seems to work fine

Hope this helps

soniccd123, I have the same results as you. I'll explain how I'm doing to make the games run and detail what's going on...

My Dreamcast has the homemade SD mod made by me, straight from the serial port to a micro SD adapter. Only wires, with no electronic components like resistors, etc.
I have the Mod Bios, so DreamShell is running directly from the micro SD card.
My micro SD is 4gb, Class 4, Cluster 64 bytes and is formatted in FAT16.
I had formatted it in FAT32 before, but I read somewhere that FAT16 for small cards improves performance. At least until now I haven't noticed a difference with Atomiswave games.
I am using iso loader v0.6.6 beta and the DreamShell 4.0 RC 4 to run the games. Loading times are reasonably good.
I am not taking into account language, blood, button configuration and other details. The purpose of my post is just to say if the game works well.
I have never played these games on Arcade or any other platform, so I have no basis for comparison. Only what is really strange will be reported.

Edit: - Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits now works.
So far in my tests of all games that have already been ported, 6 games work and 3 don't work via Dreamcast serial port.
All games that work have the following settings:
(as seen in the image)
async = 8
Loader memory = 0x8cfe0000

*** Working ***
(Fully functional, even if there are some glitches)
Faster Than Speed
Nothing to complain about, it looks as perfect as the original arcade can be.

Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits
The game stutters on some screen transitions and rarely when new waves of enemies are loaded, despite that, it is playable.
Everything else seems to run smoothly.

The King of Fighters XI
The letters "Press Start", "Please Wait" and "Name Entry" are unreadable and "Stage" are strange.
(Is it the same for those who are testing via GDEMU, IDE and other methods?)
There is a certain stuttering when the game shows us the stage, before the fight starts.
I'm not sure if it’s like that in arcade or if the stuttering is due to the speed of the serial port.
Apart from these little details that don't get in the way, this game is running very good through the serial port.

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden
Fully functional. The only thing I could notice is a graphic flaw (sprites, I think) that appears when you choose "Continue", after losing the fight.
Rarely during the fight do I also notice something strange in some "spark" sprites when I deliver a few hits.
It would also be interesting to know if this same sprite failure occurs by running the game in a way other than the serial port.

The King of Fighters Neo Wave
The initial "Loading..." seems a little slow, the biggest among the games that worked, but it's just...
The game works perfectly, just like Faster Than Speed.

*** Partially Working ***
(Games work, but won't go to the end)
Dolphin Blue
There are some slowdowns in some screen transitions, explosions or when there are many elements on the screen. This looks normal. People who have played on real hardware have reported that the same slowdown also occurs.
Enemies stop appearing during stage 3 and the scenario is in an infinite loop until time runs out. There is no use using "Continue", the game remains in this loop.
The same problem is being reported by people using IDE, GDEMU, etc. So this problem is something that needs to be fixed in the game's own file. (We have to wait patiently, all bugs will be fixed)

*** Not Working***
(All have been tested with the same settings above the games that worked, and all have a black screen after loading)
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
Maximum Speed
Metal Slug 6

Of the games that do not work through the serial port, only Metal Slug 6 already has the CDI image created.
So I tried in several ways to make the CDI run on the micro SD card, using various SDISO creation tools and similar options, but I got the same black screen as always. :(
(I still need to learn to work with these things)
Maybe I still need to test several other "async" and
"Loader memory" settings for these games.

I will update this my post as new games come out, bugs are fixed and games that still don't work start working via serial port. :)
Last edited by gelcila on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Apenas um amante de jogos antigos...
Obrigado a todos que contribuem para manter a nostalgia. \o/

aldair
Metallic

Post#39 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 am

Cluster 64 on 32GB class 10 sd.
RetroDream download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/968396n5mgt5iue/RetroDream2020.rar/file

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#40 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:44 am

For sd loader, now there is many loaders to tries :
0.6.0 -> standard with dreamshell pack
0.6.6x -> update of 0.6.0 same result with cdda, and better data transfert (shenmue I, intro alice dream tournament doesn't crash etc...)
0.6.8/9/10 -> news loaders to tries, update focus on cdda, but probably many updates about data transfert.