Atomiswave to Dreamcast CDI releases centralization

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Atomiswave to Dreamcast CDI releases centralization

Post#101 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 am

AlanH wrote:I don't want to do that. I have philosophical disagreements against using certain hardware on Dreamcast. I believe Dreamcast is a CD-using system, and always will/should be.

Also you should not be playing any of these there no change in modding porting to a console then using the serial port which is part of the dreamcast in the first place..

gdrom system and by loading dreamshell on a cdr loading the games on the serial port there is no modding the hardware..

not any change then using cracked boot loading which you should not be able to do from a cdr if you want to keep it unmodded cdr loading was never meant to be a thing at all..

it has no impact on the console your still booting a cdr plug and play and cheap so pretty silly saying you want just use a cdr which is to slow for these ports

You have to use a cdrom to make the serial port work in the first place no modding is needed just plugs in the back you would even know it's there at all

You never going to play all of them.. why does make any change playing on a cdr when dreamshell cdr booting them.. your still just using a cdr..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#102 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:43 am

Motoracer5 wrote:
AlanH wrote:I don't want to do that. I have philosophical disagreements against using certain hardware on Dreamcast. I believe Dreamcast is a CD-using system, and always will/should be.

You won't be playing a some of these atomiswave games then. Gdrom is too slow to work properly with a few

Ditto

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#103 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:43 am

Greg2600 wrote:Are there any Atomiswave games still to be ported?

It's not even a CD-based system to begin with, and burning to CD is partly what put it in an early grave.

Indeed

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#104 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:45 am

Buy a $10 serial port boot the darn thing with a cdr stop wishing for things that are never going to happen you want play games that were never meant to used from a optical media ..

You do know these game are romcarts dont you

??? not meant for cdr

exawatt
Anarki

Post#105 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:14 am

DOLPHIN BLUE CDI VERSIONE by YZB
(Normal version, not widescreen version)

https://mega.nz/file/UPpmjbrD#nZE5fAsKR ... BMmvEqTVFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRO6--hV1bw

ROLLERDJ
shadow

Post#106 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:58 pm

Another good option is to play on an emulator. With a bluetooth pad and redream it plays quite well

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#107 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 pm

ROLLERDJ wrote:Another good option is to play on an emulator. With a bluetooth pad and redream it plays quite well

These where fully play-able on demul for years.. no need to use proper converted game to run on hardware then emulator it again..

When a straight pc emulator like demul can do these in 4k with out modding or downloading any of these..

only point of these was to play them on real dreamcast hardware

OriginalName
rebel

Post#108 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm

I've ordered an SD card reader and am excited to play most of these, but currently CDI is still the only option to play Metal Slug 6 on Dreamcast for those of us out there without an ODE. Unfortunately, that version has significant performance issues.

megavolt85 suggested downsampling the audio quality to improve performance. I took it upon myself to try, but I think I've gotten in over my head.

From what I understand, I need to convert the CDI to ISO+WAV, then downsample the WAV files and recompile. I tried using AnyToIso and got an ISO, but I can't seem to separate out the WAV files. I get an error message every time I try to open it in WinRAR.

I feel like I'm missing something here. I've converted CDI to ISO+WAV to apply region patches before without issue, but Metal Slug 6 isn't cooperating with me.

Any advice here?

Keith Courage
rebel

Post#109 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:54 am

I thought the issue was that Metal Slug 6 uses the serial port for debugging. So unless someone knows how to disable/change this(which I'm sure is a lot of work), there is no possible way to run Metal Slug 6 from the serial port.

OriginalName
rebel

Post#110 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:48 pm

Keith Courage wrote:I thought the issue was that Metal Slug 6 uses the serial port for debugging. So unless someone knows how to disable/change this(which I'm sure is a lot of work), there is no possible way to run Metal Slug 6 from the serial port.

Ah, sorry, my post didn't make it clear but I'm just trying to improve performance of the CD version, not the SD card version. Anything involving the serial port is beyond me. I'd hoped that improving CD performance would be as simple as extracting the audio files, downsampling them in quality, and recompiling them. Not an elegant solution, but I thought it might be enough to hold us over until something better comes along.