Issue with Atomiswave fighting game conversions on DC Arcade Stick

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ubersaurus
shadow

Re: Issue with Atomiswave fighting game conversions on DC Arcade Stick

Post#11 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:34 pm

Keith Courage wrote:I was using a Ps1 Arcade stick through a Total Control adapter. So maybe that maps buttons differently? It was set up with both strong attacks on the right and both week/jabs on the left. Center 4 buttons obviously.

They’re 5-button games. The fifth button is the problem - the arcade sticks don’t detect the Z button, which on the arcade cabs (and ps2 ports) is where the fifth button goes.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#12 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:02 am

I see no reason why the code can't be changed to include the 'Z' button in the mapping of Atomiswave button 3.

Button 3 = LT, RT, C, Z

Some early games, like Metal Slug 6, don't use the RT.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

longsun_zhao
noob

Post#13 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
Keith Courage wrote:I was using a Ps1 Arcade stick through a Total Control adapter. So maybe that maps buttons differently? It was set up with both strong attacks on the right and both week/jabs on the left. Center 4 buttons obviously.

Most of the complaints about the button layout were from pro/league players who, as you surmised, learned how to play on the arcade version.

Speaking as someone who grew up playing games using an arcade cab in arcades or arcade stick at home, yes, it's really not possible to just mentally swap the top row of attacks with the bottom row. For KoF games, they are *always* in the same place, and it matches with Capcom fighting games as well - punches on top and kicks on bottom. For Hokuto no Ken, the button layout is very similar to Guilty Gear and other fighters Arc System Works has made. I wish I could get the button layout change to work as it stands now, but I tried and just couldn't. It's still a huge bummer.

RadiantAnsel
noob

Post#14 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 pm

Keith Courage wrote:Huh, I just played through both King of Fighters XI and Fist of the North star recently and the button config didn't feel strange at all. Maybe I'm not accustom to how other DC fighters have their buttons mapped?

The only button mapping I feel is weird is for Guilty Gear Isuka since one of the attack buttons is a trigger which is super weird. Should swap the action on Y(change direction) with whats currently set for the triggers. This is how the OG Xbox has it set up.

I don't want to sound rude or anything.
But it's not the thing that "for me it works", because it doesn't, maybe for pads it somewhat does, and even then, I refuse to say so, maybe for games like Metal Slug or Dolphin blue, every Fighting game (literally 80% of the atomiswave library) is wrong, even for pad, is totally reversed.

The problem starts to be even more interesting considering how these games have layouts for arcade sticks.

These are all the known most common arcade stick layouts, mostly for JPN arcade games (Because USA games ALWAYS have something going on).
Most Games would only use the 5A and 5B layouts for the fighters, Metal Slug included even.

Now, where is the problem, you might ask?
See, the problem is Guilty Gear and Samurai Spirits using the extremely weird 5A layout which can't be really translated to pad without screwing it up to arcade stick players like myself, and viceversa.

Games like Hokuto no Ken, The Rumble Fish 2 and King of Fighters (XI and NeoWave), NeoGeo Battle Colliseum (And maybe others, haven't tested them all), all can use the 5B layout which is totally fine for pad (ports like the PS2 versions use these as defaults, even) and it also translates perfectly fine to arcade sticks without any issue, at all.

So, I know a complete stranger shouldn't be asking in this way to extremely generous people doing amazing work, these ports have been used in local tournaments here in Mexico, both as my way to test them out and also, because I would rather have Dreamcast consoles that are 3 times easier to plug&play than an arcade system, also, people can use their own controllers and pads.

My only request will be that, swapping how those "5B" games work, we can probably find workarounds for the other 3 games down the road (And to be fair, I don't really think they are an urgency as the other games which had either lower-less played ports or ports with substantial changes like KoF XI and HnK that people would keep playing arcade versions instead). That's my only request, and I think both pad players and arcade stick players can all have what the actual game layout was supposed to be.
Last edited by RadiantAnsel on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#15 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:13 pm

haha I felt like something was off when using my arcade stick on these games but I guess this makes sense
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

RadiantAnsel
noob

Post#16 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:30 pm

The very, very, very first time I played KoF XI I knew something was wrong when I picked my characters, haha.

I expected my A, B, C to be X, A and Y respectively, but then found the buttons were reversed (upper layer was down and viceversa)

To be honest, having these at all is already a miracle and I'm very thankful we even had them in the first place, even if they could share a way to make other persons able to swap said buttons, I will be thankful (I could try, but my knowledge in programming is still on the college novice side of things.)

Smang
noob

Post#17 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:31 pm

just want to add to the fighting game choir! unfortunately makes these games somewhat unplayable on actual dreamcast hardware :(

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#18 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:10 pm

Unfortunately guys what you want is probably not going to happen. Unless megavolt make alterations to the program the closest button configuration you are going to get on most of the fighters is a this one.

X - Light Punch
Y - Heavy Punch
A - Light Kick
B - Heavy Kick
RT/LT - Special/Heat/Change

You can achieve this scheme with sram saves inserted in the DC conversions. It works great for controller but still doesn't solve your fuss about the fifth button being in top row of arcade stick. In fact I have done this for most of the games. Kenju is a problem with the buttons being locked the opposite way. I have posted the first pack of them in MoeFoh thread here: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14277&p=153812#p153812

Megavolt likes fighting games but he prolly didn't know about this situation with button schemes. I'm not sure if he will ever go back and rerelease all 10 fighting games just to appease purists. Or if he even has the time. He has a regular life like the rest of us. We release games here for fun and hobby. Him and YZB achieved something the whole community for years said couldn't be done. We are glad to have the ports even if they don't have 100% accurate button configurations.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#19 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:52 am

I seem to recall I said in a thread a long time ago - was to create a gamepad AND an arcade stick version of said titles. Not gonna happen, but would solve the buttons issue.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

fraggle200
chill

Post#20 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:12 am

dubcity wrote:Unfortunately guys what you want is probably not going to happen. Unless megavolt make alterations to the program the closest button configuration you are going to get on most of the fighters is a this one.

X - Light Punch
Y - Heavy Punch
A - Light Kick
B - Heavy Kick
RT/LT - Special/Heat/Change

You can achieve this scheme with sram saves inserted in the DC conversions. It works great for controller but still doesn't solve your fuss about the fifth button being in top row of arcade stick. In fact I have done this for most of the games. Kenju is a problem with the buttons being locked the opposite way. I have posted the first pack of them in MoeFoh thread here: https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewto ... 12#p153812

Megavolt likes fighting games but he prolly didn't know about this situation with button schemes. I'm not sure if he will ever go back and rerelease all 10 fighting games just to appease purists. Or if he even has the time. He has a regular life like the rest of us. We release games here for fun and hobby. Him and YZB achieved something the whole community for years said couldn't be done. We are glad to have the ports even if they don't have 100% accurate button configurations.

I saw this thread when it was initially posted and started looking into this and quickly got lost as I've never tried to remap controllers in a game before and that's without trying to consider how the inputs are stored or where they're stored and called from. I could find a few guides on PSX stuff but DC remapping is something that I couldn't find anything on at all to even try to understand how it all works to then take a dive in.

If anyone else was looking at it then they may have come up against the same barriers. I suppose, ideally, if someone was able to document 1 remap on an Atomiswave game then it would make the roads into the others getting done a whole load easier and give folk like me a way in with some guidance on where to start and what to consider but I realise that in itself would be a lot of work. If there's any guides out there for DC that you know of then fire me the link, I'm more than happy to do the work myself but, like I said before, I just got lost in it all to even know where to begin.

Pretty sure i saw somewhere that Megavolt had more or less said he was done with the Atomiswave stuff so there's probably next to no chance he'd consider remapping the controls.