Saturn Japanese Xband games are back!

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Saturn Japanese Xband games are back!

Post#21 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:47 am

JamesOfMercia wrote:Thanks for all your hard work converting this software to work with either of the Saturn modems and over VoIP.

I have a question that I don't think I've seen answered.

Will these games now work over a telephone line emulator/simulator, specifically if one Saturn uses a Japanese modem and one uses the US modem?

Before these patches existed I was told the Japanese modem was essentially useless for any local setup which is something I'm hoping to make for myself.

Yes, if you want to use it over a telephone line sim you can just set what whatever must be dialed after "mp" for dialing side. I think the Viking DLE-200B requires a 1 to be dialed, so you would just put "mp1" on the dialing side

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#22 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:32 pm

These can be used in a local setup, however it's not exactly the same as with stock Netlink games. On the dial side, as Xiden said you would enter mpxxx for the player name replacing xxx with the number you want dialed. On the answer side you name the player sp.

One of the modifications I made to make these forward compatible with dreampi is that the answer side actually attempts to dial out first. When using VoIP this is fine, the adapter gives a busy tone and after ~5 seconds the modem hangs up and waits for a call. This makes a setup with a line simulator a little less convenient however.

When using a line simulator you'll have to leave the answer side cord unplugged for ~1 minute. Plug it back in and dial from the other Saturn. There are some auditory clues: on the answer side when you hit challenge you will hear the modem click. This is the modem going off hook. After a minute you'll hear another fainter click which is the modem going back on hook.

TL:DR Leave the answer side phone cord unplugged for a minute before dialing

Also, the Japanese modem always worked with the Netlink games so I wouldn't say it was ever useless. People just assumed it didn't work.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

JJTJJT76
shadow

Post#23 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Great job. There are a few Jap only "netlink" games. Amazing what programmers can bring back.

asiergcfg
shadow

Post#24 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:53 am

Hello!

But can we use two Japanese Saturn modems to play locally with a phone line simulator using Netlink games? (patched or not?)

Thanks for your answer!

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:These can be used in a local setup, however it's not exactly the same as with stock Netlink games. On the dial side, as Xiden said you would enter mpxxx for the player name replacing xxx with the number you want dialed. On the answer side you name the player sp.

One of the modifications I made to make these forward compatible with dreampi is that the answer side actually attempts to dial out first. When using VoIP this is fine, the adapter gives a busy tone and after ~5 seconds the modem hangs up and waits for a call. This makes a setup with a line simulator a little less convenient however.

When using a line simulator you'll have to leave the answer side cord unplugged for ~1 minute. Plug it back in and dial from the other Saturn. There are some auditory clues: on the answer side when you hit challenge you will hear the modem click. This is the modem going off hook. After a minute you'll hear another fainter click which is the modem going back on hook.

TL:DR Leave the answer side phone cord unplugged for a minute before dialing

Also, the Japanese modem always worked with the Netlink games so I wouldn't say it was ever useless. People just assumed it didn't work.