Widescreen hacks for Naomi ROMS? (SEGA Ferrari F355)

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Widescreen hacks for Naomi ROMS? (SEGA Ferrari F355)

Post#1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:39 am

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is any development of widescreen hacks for Naomi Arcade games like there is for Dreamcast? And do they work on real Naomi hardware? I have seen a few videos on YouTube but I am specifically looking for a widescreen hack for SEGA Ferrari F355 as I have the original arcade machine at home.

Widescreen hacks for Naomi games would really help future-proof the SEGA Naomi arcade machines as there is no large 4:3 LCD displays to replace the aging CRTs with. I have a CRT in my F355 machine but worry it will fail in the future and I really hate a stretched widescreen image.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: Widescreen hacks for Naomi ROMS? (SEGA Ferrari F355)

Post#2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:03 am

I haven't seen any personally but that would be awesome if it could be done. Considering the code is so similar to DC it seems feasible

Esppiral
Quad Damage

Post#3 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 am

Anonymouse wrote:Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is any development of widescreen hacks for Naomi Arcade games like there is for Dreamcast? And do they work on real Naomi hardware? I have seen a few videos on YouTube but I am specifically looking for a widescreen hack for SEGA Ferrari F355 as I have the original arcade machine at home.

Widescreen hacks for Naomi games would really help future-proof the SEGA Naomi arcade machines as there is no large 4:3 LCD displays to replace the aging CRTs with. I have a CRT in my F355 machine but worry it will fail in the future and I really hate a stretched widescreen image.

It is certainly possible, bit you'll need a way to inject the code on a Naomi game similar to an action replay.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am

Esppiral wrote:
It is certainly possible, bit you'll need a way to inject the code on a Naomi game similar to an action replay.

My thinking would be to write a hacked rom to a new rom board. I know that would be costly but id be willing to pay the price. F355 in widescreen mode looks beautiful on the Dreamcast and gives a much greater sense of speed. VGA using a OSSC upscaled to HD also looks amazing. Ive seen an F355 cabinet with a 32" flatscreen installed and it fits perfectly.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#5 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:41 pm

If you check the topic on Dreamcast Widescreen, I put up two in there. I'll post them here for easiness sake. I've never tested these, but apparently they either only work or have only been tested on emulators.

MONKEY BALL
Widescreen Code (Emulator Only) [Radaron]
2C27 B568 - 4370 0000

VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 FINAL TUNED
Widescreen Code (Emulator Only) [Esppiral]
0232 869C - 43F0 0000

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#6 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 pm

In another thread Esppiral said he had the codes that would work for F355. Maybe it would be possible to patch the Naomi Bios file to input this into memory? Patch BIOS files could then be written to new chips and installed into the machine.

If somebody has the know how, this could be tested in DEMUL.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm

BIOS has nothing to do with wide screen codes

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#8 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:26 pm

I wonder what the best way is the get a widescreen patch on real Naomi hardware is? -if someone is able to patch the rom then maybe i could just replace the IC chip that contains the data that has been changed?

This would really help out owners of sega Naomi cabinets

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#9 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 am

There are bootleg NAOMI cartridges out there, so it should definitely be possible to run a patched rom from a cartridge.There's also a guy that makes custom cartridges on demand. That being said, the easiest way for now to play anything patched is to simply netboot a rom.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#10 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:50 am

Wombat wrote:There are bootleg NAOMI cartridges out there, so it should definitely be possible to run a patched rom from a cartridge.There's also a guy that makes custom cartridges on demand. That being said, the easiest way for now to play anything patched is to simply netboot a rom.

The F355 arcade cabinet uses Naomi Multi-Board with a different bios - Currently Netbooting isnt supported.