Other Consoles Video Thread

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: The IGS PGM: Part 1 - hardware - 3/15

Post#391 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:01 am

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: MiSTER FPGA - SuperGrafx on MiSTer - 3/17

Post#392 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:10 am

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Re: MiSTER FPGA - MiSTer March News - 3/24

Post#393 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:16 am

I do not care for the mister community's usage of synonyms for emulation

The words simulation and emulation mean the same thing, but don't tell that to the mister folks.

Hardware emulation is a thing, that's exactly what this little bugger does. hardware recreation would mean finding the ancient chips, which is not what mister does.

My beef with these terms is obviously the distancing themselves from emulation was to be clear they're not software driven, not based of emus you can just download on any ol pc or pi. Which is all fine and gravy

But what isn't, is how every single time I try to talk to anyone about the difference between software based emulation and hardware based emulation all they want to do is talk about how it's not emulation, call it simulation or some other synonym that means the exact same or very, very, similar thing, and never actually answer anything.

Re-tool with a new group of them and ask what is the difference in hardware simulation vs software emulation, get the same results, just drowned in comments that's full worth is "it's not emulation doe"

I don't mean this as criticism for the makers, but the community, fans of it, are dumb jerks. A big old gaggle of dumb jerks.

Do any of these videos go past "it's not emulation" or would watching them just waste my time with a bunch of watch my gameplay as I say it's not emu 100 million different ways, breaking out every synonym of emulation to duck using the word in reference to the mister at all costs?

I apologize for the jerk-ish tone of this post but I think I did a decent job explaining my caution in watching these vids. I would like to actually learn about the difference between hardware and software roots for mimicking consoles regardless of what you call the mimic.

Being straight and honest, my understanding is software turns on and off circuits in a PC or alike so that the hardware being controlled mimics a console's hardware, hardware would simply be the circuits of a console represented by the closest modern chips. I'm not sure if circuit is the correct term, but I think you get my meaning.

I just want a firmer understanding of the difference is and to stop guessing what exactly people mean when they say it's simulation not emulation.

megavolt85
Developer

Re: MiSTER FPGA - MiSTer March News - 3/24

Post#394 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:38 pm

in order to understand the difference, you must first understand what a microcircuit is and when you realize that a microcircuit is a set of transistors that form logical elements, it will become obvious to you that exact copies of those very old, discontinued microcircuits can be recreated on an FPGA
I think it’s not worth explaining that microcircuits recreated in FPGA will work identically to the original ones
software emulation does not care about the exact timing diagrams of each emulated chip, in most emulators chips are not emulated at all, all incoming data intended for the chip is converted according to a given mask, and this is where problems begin for those games that focus on the features of the timing diagrams of the emulated chip

P.S. comparing software emulation with hardware is a very stupid thing to do, but to say that this is the same thing can only be done by a person who does not understand at all how microcircuits are arranged inside

P.P.S. I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to Viktor Karasev :D

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

L Zone on the Apple Pippin. Just straight up WEIRD...in a good way!

Post#395 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:09 am

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: My fav unported arcade games - Out Zone - 3/19

Post#396 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:41 am

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: The IGS PGM: Part 2 - Demon Front - 3/22

Post#397 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:06 am

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: Metal Slug Mania - a ten part series - Part 3 : Metal Slug X - 3/16