Video game consoles, do they matter?

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Video game consoles, do they matter?

Post#11 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:39 pm

I like recreating the experience of playing these games back in the day with the actual hardware and controller hooked up to the tv. And having an obscure conversation piece by my TV. When I use emulators, I only use them on my pc, and when I use them on my pc, I am playing the game with my keyboard at my desk. I know there are simple ways to remedy this and get my pc hooked up to the tv and get an xbox 360 controller or something - but at the end of the day, it gives me delight to look over on my shelf and see this crazy lump of plastic that I bought, and then sit down in a comfortable spot and mess around in the living room or wherever.

The hunt for a good deal on the lump of plastic is part of the fun as well. And when you own the actual game and play it on the console, you wind up having a deeper experience. When I play on emulators, I might start using savestates, and I might just flick around from one game to the next every 10 minutes just because it is so simple and it's all easily available in a directory. For some consoles, especially cartridge ones, you might just be limited to the 5 or 10 games you own for the system, so you put more time in them and experience them to a deeper level than you would if you had an internet rom database at your fingertips.

Having the physical product and recreating the experience is significant to many people's enjoyment. Just look at how many people go out of their way and to great expense to build mame cabinets!

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#12 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 pm

For me the only reason consoles beat emulators are the controllers and peripherals. Sega Saturn has the absolute best shmup controller in my opinion and even the ones Sega made for the PC can't touch them. Dreamcast has my second favorite controller after the Saturn and I love the arcade stick and Panther (even though there was a PC version of it). Beyond that emulation all the way imo.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#13 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm

emulation can have its flaws and its usually more satisfying to play on actual hardware.

plus if your like me and the newest console you own is the dreamcast.. well ...

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#14 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:58 pm

If I could copy all my games/music/films to a single device, destroy/sell the originals and stay within the law, I would do it without hesitation.

If I could buy a brand new HDTV that displays old games (Genesis, SNES, PS1, Dreamcast etc), DVD's and non-HD broadcasts at the same/better quality than a CRT, and works flawlessly with my lightguns, I would happily take a hammer to all 11 of my tube TV's.

If the upcoming PS4/XBOX ONE was perfectly backward compatible with all my old games from every console (including system link) and I was able to use all the original controllers from those systems (via an adapter) flawlessly, I would happy take all my consoles to a waste ground, pour petrol over them and blow them to smithereens.

To conclude, old technology shouldn't matter but it does. For example, I have a lot of 12" vinyl (dance/disco) purely because some best mixes of tunes are only on that format. Never even made it to CD, let alone i-Tunes.
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

Wulffee
letterbomb

Post#15 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Its the same for all technology hell i can list a handful of movies that never made past VCR or DVDs that will never be out on Bluray. I dont mind EMUs but like the original poster when i used to play them i would never have my attention to actually try and beat the game itself just move to the next one.

Torque
undertow

Post#16 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 am

A lot of great responses in this thread. I think that nostalgia can be a very powerful, powerful thing. It's like for some of us, the hardware can't be separated from the software because it invoked such a strong memory of good times being had with the games when we were younger.

I've tried DC games in emulation, and it's just not the same feeling for me. The Wii Virtual Console is similar in that while I enjoy the old retro games again, it still feels like there is something missing.

I love that retro console gaming is seeing a resurgence though, as I do feel like modern gaming is really missing something. One day I hope that old school Arcades become "cool" again and return to their former glory days (and no, I'm not talking about Dave & Busters, lol. Think Flynn's arcade from Tron). :D :D

Novus
rebel

Post#17 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:09 pm

I am mostly a purist, so having the actual console does matter to me a lot. I want only original games in physical format. I'm uncomfortable with burned copies and hardware modifications (partly because I lack the patience and know-how to implement them). And I don't like mods or emulators either. I want the same stuff everybody had back when the system came out. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. :)

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#18 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:13 pm

The hardware definitely matters to me. I am both purist and collector.

I have a Walkman, an LD player, a BetaMax VCR, a couple of VHS S-Video VCRs, Mini-HD Camcorders, Digital 8 camcorders, a VHS-C camcorder (why do I have this?), a vintage phonogragh, and a vintage AM/FM tuner. And... <gasp> I have books! Actually, this topic's question is plain silly.

You may as well have asked "Bicycles, do they matter?". Because one could easily point out how irrelevant the bicycle is in a world of petroleum and electric powered vehicles that it is no longer necessary for anyone to exhert their own energy in order to move about from point A to point B. But, the truth is many people enjoy cycling in part because it does require an effort on their part to move about.

The resurgence of interest in vinyl records is also a strong indicator of just how much people love old technology. And I dare say many here would agree with me that articless of dedicated hardware, especially those created expressly to fulfill the role of serving entertainment purposes, tend to possess certain charming characteristics.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

krssn
Metallic

Post#19 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 am

game_player_s wrote:The resurgence of interest in vinyl records is also a strong indicator of just how much people love old technology.

Vinyl's a special one, since it still holds itself in terms of quality. No WAV or MP3 or whatever file sounds as good as a pressed analog vinyl...