Digital Foundry Retro: Daytona USA

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SuperGrafx
rebel

Digital Foundry Retro: Daytona USA

Post#1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:36 pm

This week, John Linneman revisits one of the most important arcade releases of the 90s - Sega's epoch-making Daytona USA. Built on Model 2 hardware, Daytona is a shining example of an age where arcade gaming technology was generations beyond what the home consoles could offer.

Daytona also highlights that the importance of frame-rate isn't necessarily an issue just for modern gaming - Sega's iconic racer played host to a range of home conversions across the years that simply couldn't match the original, and poor frame-rate was the key reason why the original Sega Saturn port just couldn't capture the experience of the classic arcade title. John's analysis doesn't just cover the Saturn conversion though - every single port and sequel is covered.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-introducing-df-retro

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Digital Foundry Retro: Daytona USA

Post#2 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:26 pm

What an awesome video!

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Fucking love this series. It's a godsend for gamer nestalgsa with an amazingly in depth modern analaysys to boot.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:46 pm

I didnt even know this was a series. Now my night is shot being sucked into youtube.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:56 pm

I stopped watching Digital Foundry's videos when they got an press release copy for Star Fox zero where they basically said that Nintendo could have done better with the hardware they has stating that is was poorly optimized. Of course shortly afterwards everyone took what they said and blew it out of proportion claiming that it was a bad game. Now of course the reason why I stopped watching them is they ruined their reputation after that and it kind of all started when they put commentaries in their videos. It's just hard to look back at them and watch that video because the damage has been done already even if these kinds of comparison video highly intrigues me. It's such a shame that they are the only one doing it.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

SuperGrafx
rebel

Post#6 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Whatever said said about Star Fox Zero and Wii U doesn't take away from the fact that Digital Foundry Retro is an incredible series.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#7 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:02 pm

And i dont know why people take not pushing hardware to the limits and that makes it a bad game. look at daytona usa launch version on the saturn, flawed graphically but a amazing game!